Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

ejbhats

A-List Customer
I robustly agree, very fine hat. I have a Hanachif with a liner and it does not have the gathered pleats on the back of the sweat. I feel that would indicate an early 50's higher end version. How wide is the brim? Mine is almost 2". Nice color too! It is lightweight isn't it?

Twill

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the kind words, hatophile, bowlerman, and ejbhats.

I robustly agree, very fine hat. I have a Hanachif with a liner and it does not have the gathered pleats on the back of the sweat. I feel that would indicate an early 50's higher end version. How wide is the brim? Mine is almost 2". Nice color too! It is lightweight isn't it?

I love this hat. Sometimes I forget its on my head its so light. Without a liner and with lightweight felt and sweatband, its so much cooler (temperature-wise) than my Stetson; perfect for hot and humid South Louisiana. The color is amazing; just a slight tint of blue. The brim is a little over 2". About 2 1/8" or 2 1/4" if I remember correctly.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Dobbs 15 Guild Edge

Just arrived from the bay.

Originally seemed to be going for a Harry Truman look. In original box. Only evidence of wear was very slight trace of grease on plastic liner cover. Straight crown, open height 5-15/16", brim exactly 2-1/2".

After light steaming and shaping:

Some details:

dobbs15asrecd06asm.jpg

(This says Block 5064, size 7-3/8, Order 99927 "Choc.")
Possibly suggestive of date as hand-lettered?

Brad, any thoughts? From sweatband logo, 1952-53 at earliest, but curious about other hints.

- Bill

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
I picked this up at a flea market ... Looks like it has never been worn! Not supper old but still of good quality! To bad they didn't keep the box! It needed a little tlc when I got it but shaped up quickly. Added side dents.
b9bae828.jpg

7a9c1be5.jpg

541b05ab.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I think it's way over priced.

Agreed! It doesnt even look like a high quality Dobbs. The felt looks rough, there is a tear on the ribbon by the bow and the sweatband doesnt look comfortable at all. I dont think that 7 3/8 is "rare" for vintage hats, just more expensive when they do come up. 7 3/8 IS harder to find than a 7 or 7 1/8, but its not like your looking for a vintage 7 3/4 long oval or something like that.

T Rick

Practically Family
Good. I thought the price was a little over the top. I just needed some expert feedback. Thanks gents.
Just had a very similar gray Dobbs delivered today (brim 2 1/4 and different liner logo, so not exact vintage, but quite similar). I was high bidder at $41.00 plus shpg.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
DobbsGoodies2.jpg

We've all seen those miniature hats and hat boxs that eBay sellers usually call salesman's samples, but we never really see the primary item that came with them, mostly because they're probably thrown out with store records when the stores closed.

Here's an example of a Dobbs gift certificate from 1963 or earlier, based upon the sales tax rate.

Front cover:
GiftCertificateFront.jpg

Poor Kip, looks like he never claimed his hat.
GiftCertificateInside.jpg

Brad

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting these ads, Robert!! I love the 30's Dobbs ads. They are always so colorful and interesting. I have always wondered what those really heavy duty boxes were for, and now I know....they were "Sturdy Luggage cases".....for an extra charge of course....:)

JAVIER

Practically Family
I picked this up at a flea market ... Looks like it has never been worn! Not supper old but still of good quality! To bad they didn't keep the box! It needed a little tlc when I got it but shaped up quickly. Added side dents.
b9bae828.jpg

7a9c1be5.jpg

541b05ab.jpg

I will post some pics of mine, here is the link of the hat 1 pic available.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=120736628568

Any clue as to age, In my private communications with the seller that I bought one similar... just chocolate brown color, she states her dad wore this hat when she was a kid and dates the hat to probably from the early 1960's no later than 1963. The gentleman had a whole closet full of hats but over the years he donated them to various theater groups in town and only kept his favorites. Most of the hats that he had were purchased in Fort Worth, TX. That particular hat did not have a stamp from the shop where it was purchased.
Just trying to cooperate the dating of this hat, what indicates date to you on your hat, and whats the felt made of, it super soft?

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
Interesting to note in the Cock of the Walk ad that the box in the corner carried a "slight extra charge" meaning that this was an upgrade and not the box the hat normally came in.

This makes me wonder if all of the cool hat boxes we see with leather and buckled straps or interesting shapes other than the good old oval or square all cost the customer extra in the day? I had always assumed that these more interestingly designed boxes were just the boxes the hats came in, but now I am wondering if most of them were actually upcharged, special carrying cases for the hats? Extra costs above and beyond the cost of the hat?

Or, perhaps as time moved forward, the special boxes became an extra charge? Maybe in the good old days they were free with the hat, but as prices rose the companies began to charge for the cool boxes?

Does anyone have any ideas on that?

Last edited:

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Can't be exact but the band and loop bow is indicative of the late sixties early seventies .... I have some other hats that I have actually dates written on them that have the exact same style of rope band and they are 69 and 71. Also if you have watched Secrareriate ... One of the guys in Poor Sam's group is wearing a hat exactly like mine ... Same color and everything ... 1973! However that is assuming that hollowood is period correct ... Which is a streach!!! I have some more information on the tear tag in mine ... I will do a little digging ... It's not paticulaly old so I didn't spend much time on it. It is very soft and clearly not wool!! It is a nice quality fur felt with a silk finish. Really a nice hat and you got a great deal ... Whish I had the box .. Which btw will tell you more on the date ... Anyone know the years associated with that box???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe