Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Mulceber

Practically Family
Ive had this one for a while but realized that I never photographed it.

DSC04152.jpg

I really like that - it looks to have about the same proportions as Nucky's homburg in Boardwalk Empire. -M

ideaguy

One Too Many
my third and nicest dobbs... a dobbs forty

The color is a deep, richly warm brown, and the ribbon has hints of marroon to it. Its really quite stunning! I'm still playing with rough creases, trying to decide what I like best before steaming it in.

What was a very neat surprise, when I received the hat, I noticed that it was originally sold from Davidson's of Roanoke VA... It just so happens that I had my tuxedo fitted here 5-6 years ago for a formal college dance with my girlfriend-now-wife :)

I lack the knowledge to accurate date that hat, other than the taller/squarer crowns such as these were more popular in the 40's... I'd love to hear what the experts have to say!

DSC_6452.jpg

DSC_6454.jpg

DSC_6469.jpg

DSC_6465.jpg

DSC_6463.jpg

Nice Hat!!!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I really like that - it looks to have about the same proportions as Nucky's homburg in Boardwalk Empire. -M

Now that I look close, I do see a very close similarity. The first time that I saw Boardwalk Empire, I thought that Nucky's homburg looked weird. Mostly because the era that she show takes place and the hat don't mix. In 1920, the crown on the homburg would have been tall, fairly straight, and would have had a pretty deep center dent. Also the brim would have had a D’Orsay curl, verses the standard 50's style uniform curl all the way around the hat. In one of the episodes, Nucky sets his hat down on top of the crown for a brief second, and I could actually see that the clothing people for the show, for one of nucky's homburgs, used a 1950's Dobbs homburg just like mine. It had the oval emblem with the green and white color combo inside the oval.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
my third and nicest dobbs... a dobbs forty

The color is a deep, richly warm brown, and the ribbon has hints of marroon to it. Its really quite stunning! I'm still playing with rough creases, trying to decide what I like best before steaming it in.

Congrats on a gorgeous lid! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That is a beautiful and rare hat. My own sense is that, putting Stetson lids to the side (7X Clear Beavers and "100"s), it is extremely rare to find vintage lids from other makers that are in the "40", "50" or "100" brackets. Here is one other example of a "40"...Dunlap 40...

As Banjo Merlin points out, a Stetson 7X Clear Beaver went for $50 back in the day. I have to think that a "40" was very close to being all beaver, as well.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
JtL

Mulceber

Practically Family
Now that I look close, I do see a very close similarity. The first time that I saw Boardwalk Empire, I thought that Nucky's homburg looked weird. Mostly because the era that she show takes place and the hat don't mix. In 1920, the crown on the homburg would have been tall, fairly straight, and would have had a pretty deep center dent. Also the brim would have had a D’Orsay curl, verses the standard 50's style uniform curl all the way around the hat. In one of the episodes, Nucky sets his hat down on top of the crown for a brief second, and I could actually see that the clothing people for the show, for one of nucky's homburgs, used a 1950's Dobbs homburg just like mine. It had the oval emblem with the green and white color combo inside the oval.

True that, although I still like his hats, and I enjoy seeing the hats on the show, anachronistic though they are.

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
A Dobbs 20 I just picked up on ebay. My first Dobbs. Have no idea of the vintage. Any ideas? This hat is very nearly flawless.

A19137E4800B411FB60F02033F83C340.jpg
[/IMG]

0A47D433826B470C9F87C19F4C30465D.jpg
[/IMG]

0145C5596F2A428E864432F0CCF246ED.jpg
[/IMG]

CB9D366730CC4B1396D58DC621A30995.jpg

BE31E9442A83407F89ED0A882F94B246.jpg
[/IMG]

BBC8C55C5D874675973CD95A18F6F007.jpg
[/IMG]

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I was wondering who bought that old Dobbs. I mistakenly assumed, RLK. Pretty cool item ... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe