Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Diamond Authority

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Wow, that is wild.
When I got my old Dobbs back from Wichita Hat Works rebuilding it this year ... they diassembled it, turned front to back, reassembled with the original ribbon salvaged and a new sweat installed (it had a tiny weak spot in what was the "front") .... I creased it with a diamond shape.

It is the same shape as this one shown and that style really does look great in the diamond.

Sam

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Mike! (Your interest in the Playboy has been noted, by the way.) :)

Sam, sounds like a lot of work, but worth every bit of the effort. Picture?

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Thank you, Mike! (Your interest in the Playboy has been noted, by the way.) :)

Sam, sounds like a lot of work, but worth every bit of the effort. Picture?

Randall,

I am shamed that I still have to set up the pic thing ... I know, I know, I'm scum... my IT guy at work is supposed to help me and I swear I will get it done.
I also owe you a shot of the work I did on the Akubra I bought from you.
I promise, I will get caught up soon.

Sam

m0nk

One Too Many
Just look at William Powell's kite (Another Thin Man, 1939):

the_thin_man_film_03_01.jpg

I love the hats he wore in all the Thin Man movies, though most of the time he wore that same white-ish one with the kite-crease. I would love to recreate it, though the hats I have won't hold something quite like it.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Put on a glove to keep it clean and attempted to get the back point as low as I could. Dropped it quite a bit but not as far as Powell’s hat as it would raise back up some when I put the dome in it. Seeing Mario’s great hat’s inspired me with how to finish the front up too; now it’s just about perfect for me, got some great rake on the sides, and I’ve managed to smooth out almost all the creases and imperfections. Tonight I’m going to see what I can do with my cheap panama. A pot of boiling water helped the first time, so I’m guessing the steamer will be even better.

DSCF2553.jpg

DSCF2552.jpg

Very nice white there BJ.

Here is my Dobbs Cross Country Flanul felt, a wartime wool/felt blend. This is the sharpest diamond crease in my collection, I think. Very light hat.

122211_2.jpg

122211.jpg

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Been re-watching the Thin Man series this week... need to get one of these myself!

I saw a listing in the paper for The Thin Man and it made me take the leap.

Very nice white there BJ.

Thanks Alan, I really like the crispness of even the "dome" on yours. It's a great visual feature of the diamond.

--------
My ratty Dobbs Shantung Panama after a bit of work:

DSCF2563.jpg

The flash makes it actually look white again.

TPD166

One Too Many
Adam & Stetson

Here are my latest (and only) diamond conversions.

First is my Adam Coronet that was returned to me by Paris Hatters with an open crown and I decided to see if I could actually do a diamond crease - here is the result. For some reason this hat seems to look better (to me anyway) without side dents. I added them at first and then steamed them back out the next day.
adam3_w.jpg

Adam_C3w_zpsc67aca12.jpg

The second is my early 1950s Royal Deluxe Open Road. It came to me with a deep, well-worn cattleman crease and I left it alone for a while. Yesterday I decided to play with it for the first time with dry bashes - I was amazed at how well it took them, as well as finding it was much taller and there was no taper to crown (as the old bash made it appear). I steamed it to an open crown and the old creases disappeared and finally decided to see how diamond would look. I also worked on the brim, leaving it up all the way around at first, but went back to the brim down again today.

As received.
ORbefore_w_zpsddd828ed.jpg

Final (initial brim).
OR-final_w_zpsddcf17ea.jpg
OR_Diamond_w_zps4fad090a.jpg

Today (with brim down).
OR_fed_brim_w_zps41a3a1bd.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally