Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Diamond Authority

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thought I better stick this in here as well. This hat deserves a bit of attention after all the hassle it had to endure.

My 'customized' Louis Custom Hatters.

Went with a four-point 'kite' diamond this time. I mean, hey - just for a goof... :rolleyes:

Louis-Custom-Hatters.jpg

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I like the diamond, and among other bashes I tried, I put one in my Fed IV Deluxe when it was new a few months ago.

But here's the problem: My head is catawampus--off-center--so that if you put the front crease where it's supposed to be, it's about an inch off to the right of my nose when I put the hat on.

Having four vertices, a diamond bash emphasizes my mis-shapen cranium all the more, so I settled for a pinch-front teardrop, as it has only one point and the rest is curved, but even it is obviously assymetrical.

Does anyone else have such a problem with his head, and how do you deal with it in terms of creasing your hats?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
AlterEgo said:
Does anyone else have such a problem with his head, and how do you deal with it in terms of creasing your hats?

In creasing a hat, I always start by putting the hat on my head and making sure that it is sitting comfortably. Only then do I identify the "center" of the crease/front pinch by looking in a mirror and lining it up with my nose ;). That way, the hat is organically centered -- which is a function of how it sits on your particular noggin, as opposed to how the seams, etc. line up. Try this out and see if it helps. :)

Cheers,
JtL

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Mario said:
Thought I better stick this in here as well. This hat deserves a bit of attention after all the hassle it had to endure.

My 'customized' Louis Custom Hatters.

Thought I might try a four-point 'kite' diamond this time. Just for a goof... :rolleyes:

Louis-Custom-Hatters.jpg

You're KingPin(ch)! what a crease.. Your bashes look good in every angle :eusa_clap

RBH

Bartender
jimmy the lid said:
In creasing a hat, I always start by putting the hat on my head and making sure that it is sitting comfortably. Only then do I identify the "center" of the crease/front pinch by looking in a mirror and lining it up with my nose ;). That way, the hat is organically centered -- which is a function of how it sits on your particular noggin, as opposed to how the seams, etc. line up. Try this out and see if it helps. :)

Cheers,
JtL
That should work.
Thats the way I crease mine also.

jimmy the lid said:

Cheers,
JtL
That's why I like open crown hats = so I can line them up properly on my lopsided noggin. I take a paper clip & put it on the ribbon right in line with my nose looking in the mirror. I use that as a reference for my front pinch for diamonds, c-creases & tear drops...

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
jimmy the lid said:

Cheers,
JtL

Yep, that's just the way I do it, as well. What I was trying to say is that after the hat is bashed with the front pinch in line with my nose, the rest of the hat is assymetrical, like when you view it from the top. The diamond crease, which I otherwise love, magnifies the lopsidedness because it's so obvious the points do not form a balanced polygon. A teardrop is still out of whack, but not so glaringly apparent, so that's why I go with that bash.

So far, it sounds like there are several others here with heads catawampus (I hope I'm not using language too technical for ya'll). The really weird thing is that I've worn hats since I was a kid and never had this problem until I got a precreased Stylemaster a couple years ago. With the front pinch a good inch off to the right when the hat was seated comfortably on my head, I was convinced that the hat had been blocked crooked and thus defective.

That is, until I put on a few of my older hats, and they all had the same problem! I'd been wearing a Sydney/Fedora almost exclusively for dress and a beater crushable wool felt for dirty work for a couple years, and their being so soft and pliable, I never noticed any catawampusity. So I don't exactly know when my cranial transformation occured.

Could it have been the time I was looking for a cheap way to cut my hair and stuck my head up under the Bush Hog?

Nah!!!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Scott Wood said:
Pleeeeeeeeezzz... Could someone tell the kid at the back of the class what a TVA bash is [huh]

It's a Loungeism for a diamond bash, after a Lounger whose grandfather worked for the Tennessee Valley Authority and wore such a bash.

-Dave

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Park Crest silver belly "Western"

I almost forgot about this thread as I haven't seen it pop up in a while. I hated the crease that was in this OR clone when I got it, so after working with it a while I ended up giving it a diamond bash, always one of my favorite shapes.

Before: (bleh.)

367318029_tp.jpg

After: (hooray!)

parkcrest7.jpg

parkcrest8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally