Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Decline of the Well Put Together Lady

MikeBravo

One Too Many
On the topic ofpj's's in public.... any day at any given time (es, even Friday night!) I ventured the East Side of Providence (where Brown and RISD are) it's all I saw - girls in pj's. Except - of course - for when it's hot out: then you can see them strolling around in Victorias Secret Pink boyshorts... which aren't even Pj's. They're underware, dammit. Intended to go under your pants, not to replace them.

... and that is the story of why I never go near the Brown/RISD campus even though the better take out places are located there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Brown one of the most prestigeous universities in America?

If I am right ... Yikes!

rue

Y'all are making me self conscious now.... I take the dogs out in the morning in my bathrobe and slippers, and usually enjoy most of my coffee on the front porch that way... Said bathrobe covers more than my full length coat, but now I might have to readjust my morning attire!

I take the dogs out in my robe too :) As long as you're not wearing diapers in public, I still love you Tatum :p

Mrs.Williams

New in Town
One of my favorite pastimes is to bemoan the state of underdressed women out and about. Last week while driving through town, I saw a woman walking into a local grade school, wearing pink pajama bottoms, a sweatshirt, and slippers. I almost wrecked the car...
But then again, I feel embarrassed to even wear my yoga pants at home. So unglamorous. ;)

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I have seen the logical next step: teenage girls with not only pajamas on outside - but wrapped in duvets too! That gets around the being too cold part then.

There used to be a thing on non-uniform days in schools I have taught at to wear nightwear, I used to ban them from entering my workshop in such attire on health and safety grounds as none of them were wearing steel toe-capped slippers.

rene_writer

Familiar Face
Full circle to Victorian fashion? I like that theory. I've been wondering where this is going for a while now. Our jeans can't get any tighter, our shirts any more low cut, our bikini's any smaller. The only way to go is... hoop skirts!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In my humble opinion there's a huge difference between rolling out of bed in the morning to take the dog out to the bathroom... and going to, well, i don't know if those people I see sometimes actually go to class like that or what, or to the (busy) coffee shop, or to get lunch... :D

Exactly. There are reasons why somebody could be dressed like that- letting the dog out, going to the hospital, being really ill. And, just so you know, yes, students wear all sorts of things to class. I had two students several years ago that came to a 2:00PM class in PJs and flip flops in the middle of winter. But I have to say, I teach an 8am and a 9:30am class each year, and I have never seen PJs in either of those classes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Brown one of the most prestigeous universities in America?

If I am right ... Yikes!

Brown is an Ivy League university, which means it's pretty exclusive, both financially and academically. (Most of the Ivies do have good financial aid, but they vary a lot in their economic diversity.) It has a reputation of also being rather "artsy" and "preppy" at the same time.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
One of my favorite pastimes is to bemoan the state of underdressed women out and about. Last week while driving through town, I saw a woman walking into a local grade school, wearing pink pajama bottoms, a sweatshirt, and slippers. I almost wrecked the car...
But then again, I feel embarrassed to even wear my yoga pants at home. So unglamorous. ;)

Maybe she was sleepwalking...[huh]

I think the next logical progression will be wearing Snuggies out of the house. No purse needed - just keep the essentials in the handy pocket included (mind you remove the remote before leaving the house!). And finally, something that will actually go well with Uggs...:rolleyes:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab

My least favourite kind of footwear - they are just plain hideous. There is no way they can enhance someone's appearance - they are so ugly and I imagine they get, well, quite smelly after a while - ick.

Plus they look so bulky I don't know how the wearer wouldn't fall over their own feet.....

Miss sofia

One Too Many
My least favourite kind of footwear - they are just plain hideous. There is no way they can enhance someone's appearance - they are so ugly and I imagine they get, well, quite smelly after a while - ick.

Plus they look so bulky I don't know how the wearer wouldn't fall over their own feet.....

They probably do!!! They can't be any good for your feet can they? When i walk behind someone wearing them, which is quite frequently where i live, i notice then tend to shuffle rather than walk nicely. You're right Miss G, my son had a pair for running around indoors and i had to bin them pretty quickly as they made his feet very pongy. He was only about five at the time and he had really old man, smelly feet!!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
They probably do!!! They can't be any good for your feet can they? When i walk behind someone wearing them, which is quite frequently where i live, i notice then tend to shuffle rather than walk nicely. You're right Miss G, my son had a pair for running around indoors and i had to bin them pretty quickly as they made his feet very pongy. He was only about five at the time and he had really old man, smelly feet!!

I don't think they could be any good for your feet - they look too soft and kind of mis-shapen/slouchy or something.

That's funny what you said about your son's feet - I think all kids get sweaty little feet - all that running around! I got Evelyn a pair of Crocs (another thing adults should not wear - ok for kids but certainly not adults - they are akin to Birkenstocks as far as I'm concerned!) that she wore on holidays and has been wearing them as slippers around the house and they are brilliant - however they are still all kinds of ugly (even in pink!)!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Miss G - i agree kiddies to get sweaty feet, but it was like smelling a ripe Camembert. Terrible!!

Yes Crocs have to be the all-time ugly shoe!! I have a pair for gardening in the Summer. However they are treated with antibacterial stuff so your feet don't smell and are really terribly comfortable and give good support to the feet, as much as it pains me to say it. I have had friends with terrible leg problems, who have sworn they have made such a difference to their general comfort and mobility.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
...Uggs...:rolleyes:

Ah, Uggs! They definitely put the "Ugh" in "ugly." In my town, I can see Uggs any day of the week, during any type of weather - with skinny, stretch jeans tucked into them, with baggy sweats tucked into them, with short shorts and bare legs, with short shorts and opaque tights, with yoga wear and with dresses and skirts. In fact, I should develop a board game somehow centered on Uggs. A drinking game would be more fun, but in all likelihood, with the abundance of Uggs here, it would be much too inebriating an experience.

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
That just makes me give up hope for alot of youth :(

When I taught preschool, I had a mom come in with her child, both wearing sweats, with the words, "angel face" on the mom and "cutie pie" on the preschooler right acroos their bums!!!
Really???? Are you insane???
(why would you have angel face written across your bum in the first place? Did I miss something?)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That just makes me give up hope for alot of youth :(

When I taught preschool, I had a mom come in with her child, both wearing sweats, with the words, "angel face" on the mom and "cutie pie" on the preschooler right acroos their bums!!!
Really???? Are you insane???
(why would you have angel face written across your bum in the first place? Did I miss something?)

There was a young woman who used to work in an office I worked in who was a fan of such sweatpants. I think they are cute to sleep in if you really want to sleep in sweats. She used to wear them everyday until she was told flat out that it was inappropriate to wear sweats at the office.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld