Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

rogerstg

A-List Customer
but the challenge of this particular hat is the continuously wavy brim.

I've had some success with a steam iron. The key for me was to iron a small edge section at a time, 2-3 inches. Hold the hat still on the board so that the felt section lies flat until the felt cools enough to stay. You may need to add stiffener if the brim edge is too floppy. I use cheap hairspray before ironing. It's important NOT to next work on an adjacent section until the original area is cool, so I work around the brim, skipping areas as needed to let my adjustments cool.

I also concentrate on the front and the rear first, then getting a nice transition on the sides.

That's my DIY method since I don't have the blocks to reflange a hat properly.

Roger

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I don't know much about laundry starch, but I've used hairspray to stiffen lots of felt on old hats and it seems to have held up well.

Roger

EstherWeis

Vendor
The best thing to do if the brim doesn't keep it's shape is to brush on hat stiffener ( inside of the brim)
Let it dry/evaporate and then steam it. Put it on a flat surface and steam bit by bit .
Then softly brush and pull with your hands until you get the shape you want.
Then leave it for at least 2 hrs ! Then it should be set to go.

What also could be the problem is the fact that your head shape is different that the oval of the hat, if so it can give a slight "wave" effect to your brim once you put it on.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's a Resistol Stagecoach that John Galt originally converted for me, but I messed with it so much that I had to reblock it and rework the brim as well. I ironed out the brim, then I sprayed it down with water and used my thumbs and fingers to curl up the sides a little and to put a fedora curl on it. I've done a few of my hats like that and have had good results that way. But now I have a brim flange to work with.

Indy_Hat_06.jpg

Indy_Hat_01.jpg

Indy_Hat_02.jpg

Last edited:

javadave61

Practically Family
What also could be the problem is the fact that your head shape is different that the oval of the hat, if so it can give a slight "wave" effect to your brim once you put it on.

Now there's a fact. More than any of my other hats, this particular one feels "rounder" than my long oval head.

Here's a Resistol Stagecoach that John Galt originally converted for me, but I messed with it so much that I had to reblock it and rework the brim as well. I ironed out the brim, then I sprayed it down with water and used my thumbs and fingers to curl up the sides a little and to put a fedora curl on it. I've done a few of my hats like that and have had good results that way. But now I have a brim flange to work with.

Nice one, Terry. I do the same trick for brim curl. I do not have a brim flange.....yet. :D

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Now there's a fact. More than any of my other hats, this particular one feels "rounder" than my long oval head.

You're welcome buddy. Wet it down top and underneath and shape the brim the way you want it. Then set it somewhere and let the hat dry. According to another website the brim on the original Raiders hat was shaped by hand to get the fedora curl at the back.

EstherWeis

Vendor

Then that is probably why it won't hold the way you want it to. Too much pressure on the side of your hat will deform the brim.
Either wire the brim or what could work is you could steam a little on the inside and put in on and let it "mold" to your head shape.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Simple solution for me. My sides were too flat. Back flange/curl was ok and deep enuff. Front was pretty flat but I snap it down anyway... So just throughly saturated the brim, put it on a towel (on a flat surface) and the front and back curled up a bit better and closer to original specs... To deepen and curl up the sides, I just got 2 large books (one on each side of the brim) and set the sides exactly where I wanted them and let it dry completely. Back is ok. Front turns down nicely. Sides swoop and curl up just enough.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a vintage stetson 3x I've been playing around with and finally finished. Was white dyed it navy blue. Gave it new ribbons,wind cord and sweatband. Upsized it as well was a 7 1/4 now 7 1/2.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82