Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Nice one bond

Next to black hats I'm adding Silverbelly to my dislike list. I like a Silverbelly color on Open Roads and on Westerns. Beyond that, silverbelly is a boring color to me. Here's the Open Road I resized. I couldn't find a 3/8 thin ribbon of the same color to back on it. I settled for this dark green mid-ribbon. It came out good but it's still a boring looking hat to me....boooooring!

wanderer_conversion_01.jpg

wanderer_conversion_02.jpg

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Next to black hats I'm adding Silverbelly to my dislike list. I like a Silverbelly color on Open Roads and on Westerns. Beyond that, silverbelly is a boring color to me. Here's the Open Road I resized. I couldn't find a 3/8 thin ribbon of the same color to back on it. I settled for this dark green mid-ribbon. It came out good but it's still a boring looking hat to me....boooooring!

Geez. I'm seeing now a "No love for silverbelly hats" thread.
Looks at bond and others work on silverbelly hats. Some are quite nice (apart the short brim that... you know).
I do like the light brown ribbons on silverbelly.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
IMG_5046.JPG
Akubra Silverbelly - before the wider band was added.

IMG_5401 Guide.jpg
Beaver Brand Silverbelly - Texas Dept of Law Enforcement roper restyled to a Diamond crown and a slouch brim.

There is nothing wrong with Silverbelly - if you can keep it clean. Versatile and bright. But then, everyone has a different view of the color because it ranges from the tan color offered by Akubra to the almost bone white from Beaver Brand.

Fed

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 27910
Akubra Silverbelly - before the wider band was added.

View attachment 27909
Beaver Brand Silverbelly - Texas Dept of Law Enforcement roper restyled to a Diamond crown and a slouch brim.

There is nothing wrong with Silverbelly - if you can keep it clean. Versatile and bright. But then, everyone has a different view of the color because it ranges from the tan color offered by Akubra to the almost bone white from Beaver Brand.

Fed
Love a light colored hat. My Akubra Silverbelly Camp Draft (and yes it is almost a very light tan/silver) works w all shades of browns, greens, blacks as well as pinks/reds. Most versatile color I have.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Two nice looking hats Fed...

Here's a Western Fedora that I'm finishing up. I just need to sew on the ribbon which will be a thin 3 ply with a campaign style bow. I wanted to keep this one but I may have to sell it or trade it off. It's too big for me. The size tag says 7 1/4 but it seems larger than that to me. I creased it with a tall Center Dent crown, 5 inches all around as creased. It's 4 3/4 at the pinch and slopes to 4 1/4 at the back. The brim is 3 inches wide. The maker is unknown, probably made for a store, "Sherwood Saddlery".

Western Fedora 01.jpg

Here's the ribbon I'll be sewing on it...

West Fed 01.jpg

West Fed 02.jpg

West Fed 03.jpg

DOGMAN

One Too Many
T Jones,looks good.Mr Jones I have some thin ribbons I've taken off the westerns I converted.If you would like them,you can have them.I'm a wide ribbon guy.If your interested PM me your address.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
RJR, DOGMAN, Joao, thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

DOGMAN, PM sent. Thanks buddy.

Joao, I'll break out the brim stretcher and see if I can stretch anymore brim out of it. ;)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Also posted in the WHAYWT thread:

I've been working on this unknown Western for the past two Saturdays. I reblocked it once and it still had some taper to the crown that I wasn't satisfied with. I reblocked it again and was able to get most of the taper out. It's more straight sided now, but I'm still undecided on a ribbon choice. DOGMAN sent me some thin ribbons and I'm leaning toward this 3 ply I got from him. I just need to trim the tails and then sew it on. I'll probably go with a simple knot rather than doing a bow....

Western_01.jpg

Western_02.jpg

Western_03.jpg

My thanks to DOGMAN for the ribbon.

I'm also considering this leather hat band with conches that John Galt gave me...

Western_A.jpg

Last edited:

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
TJ, that's a great looking hat and you wear it well.
I agree with Joao, the ribbon looks best on that hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe