Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Nice block T Jones. Quite a find!

Thanks buddy. I looked a long time for one of these. I was using some of the plastic ones from hat shapers, which are ok, but the wooden ones are far better and they work out best for extended use. All I need for now is a brim flange.

When purchasing a block, should you also pick up one of the next size up for sizing hats which may be in between sweat bands? In other words, a 7 1/4 block would fit a 7 1/4 hat with the sweat in. Would you want to find one for 7 3/8 for work on hats you're reconstructing?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
When purchasing a block, should you also pick up one of the next size up for sizing hats which may be in between sweat bands? In other words, a 7 1/4 block would fit a 7 1/4 hat with the sweat in. Would you want to find one for 7 3/8 for work on hats you're reconstructing?

If you buy a vintage wooden block that has 7 1/4 stamped on it, then it will be for that size with sweat out. It'll already be sized to compensate for sewing a sweat in. But, if you're ordering something like a plastic hat shaper you want to go larger than the circumference of your head measurement if you're going to sew in a new sweat. If you plan to buy a hat shaper to block your hats with the sweat already in then get one that measures the same as your head circumference.

Last edited:
If you buy a vintage wooden block that has 7 1/4 stamped on it, then it will be for that size with sweat out. It'll already be sized to compensate for sewing a sweat in. But, if you're ordering something like a plastic hat shaper you want to go larger than the circumference of your head measurement if you're going to sew in a new sweat. If you plan to buy a hat shaper to block your hats with the sweat already in then get one that measures the same as your head circumference.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but it's good to hear it confirmed.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Finally put my hat block to use. I sized up a more recent vintage 4X Open Road, '80s, for the sacrifice. I lost about an 1/8 off the brim width, but I increased the crown height from 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 inches tall. Plus, I went up a little in the hat size as well. Everything came out pretty good though.....

OR_on_LO_Block_02.jpg

Open_Road_reblock_02.jpg

0405150807a.jpg

Open_Road_reblock_02_B_W.jpg

I thought of this ribbon choice, but I don't know. I'll be going with a thin ribbon of some sort. I'd like to find a 3/8 in the Silverbelly color to put back on it...

0405150825.jpg

Attachments

• 0405150807a.jpg
    0405150807a.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 157

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Humanshoes, Dale, Harv, RJR, thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

Harv, I did the sweat band too but I 'm going to redo it. I put a cheapie bonded leather one in it but I'm going to switch it out for one of the roan leather ones that I have.

Ribbon question:

When installing a thin ribbon on a hat (<=1"), is it always necessary to iron/curl your ribbon? I'm undertaking my first ribbon installation on an old Adam Executive. Given the nature of the crown (tall, not too much taper), is swirling till necessary?

Also, do you just use the Rayon setting on your iron to swirl, or a lower setting?

Thanks!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Ribbon question:

When installing a thin ribbon on a hat (<=1"), is it always necessary to iron/curl your ribbon? I'm undertaking my first ribbon installation on an old Adam Executive. Given the nature of the crown (tall, not too much taper), is swirling till necessary?

Also, do you just use the Rayon setting on your iron to swirl, or a lower setting?

Thanks!

I always iron a "curl / curve" on all of my ribbon work. The curve of the ribbon will make for a tighter fit around the crown. I usually set my iron on a medium setting with a white cloth of some sort between the ribbon and the iron. Others may also have some suggestions as well.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stetson #1 conversion . Tamed this big brimmed 4" stetson to a respectable 3 1/2" bound edge brim with new ribbons, wind cord, silk liner, and vented sweatband . Fur felt had issues like an old mule kick cattle mans crease that I had to work to remove as well as lots of soiling . Came out beautiful and the felt transformed once again after I washed and steamed a new shape to it. Felt has a very nice hand to it with just the right amount of pliability. Here's before and after .

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the compliments gents. Starting to like how a wider brim looks and feels (props to Joao), this will be my new camping/hiking hat as it blocks sun and rain nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe