Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Terry, I've got yours loaded up too.

uru5a8ug.jpg

Excellent! Thanks John. That's going to be nice! Send it to me open crowned like you did Justin's. Man! That last one you did for him was really amazing. You did a top notch refurb on his hat.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Just over 5" for each. Terry's has slightly straighter sides, looks taller, but isn't.

Thx Terry!

You're welcome buddy...I wish I had the blocks and flanges to do more of my own though. But since I don't you're the only one I trust to consider my expectations and the one I trust to send my stuff to. I definitely like your work.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Just over 5" for each. Terry's has slightly straighter sides, looks taller, but isn't.
Sure it looks taller.
I'm almost afraid to ask what were those hats before...

You're welcome buddy...I wish I had the blocks and flanges to do more of my own though. But since I don't you're the only one I trust to consider my expectations and the one I trust to send my stuff to. I definitely like your work.
Well he have one hat from me and two others will arrive soon...

John Galt

Vendor

Thanks Terry, that means a lot to me. I like yours too!

John Galt

Vendor
Here's Terry's, with foot ironed in, ready for trimming:

uneqamu8.jpg

His crown measures right at 5 1/2" at the tip.

It was a very beat up & stained Stetson Nutria Quality cowboy hat. It will have a new life now, as a "Tom Hardy" hat, I believe. I'll be trimming the brim & sewing in a new JW made sweat, then sending it to Terry open crowned, so he can do the finishing touches & crease himself.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
If I read correctly, John will trim the brim so that binding will be lost.
Nice Nutria (love Nutria felt)
Looks to be 3.5" brim at most. Trimming a Nutria feels bad... those are not made anymore.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's Terry's, with foot ironed in, ready for trimming:

uneqamu8.jpg

His crown measures right at 5 1/2" at the tip.

It was a very beat up & stained Stetson Nutria Quality cowboy hat. It will have a new life now, as a "Tom Hardy" hat, I believe. I'll be trimming the brim & sewing in a new JW made sweat, then sending it to Terry open crowned, so he can do the finishing touches & crease himself.

Man! That looks awesome John! Ready for trimming and flanging! Awesome! I'm still up in the air about whether or not to make it a Hardy hat though. I've also been thinking of something along the line of a Strat-like thin ribbon maybe, or possibly something like a Playboy mid-ribbon. You know how my mind changes! ;) But, wow. That's looking nice! I really like it! You're an artist buddy!

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Man! That looks awesome John! Ready for trimming and flanging! Awesome! I'm still up in the air about whether or not to make it a Hardy hat though. I've also been thinking of something along the line of a Strat-like thin ribbon maybe, or possibly something like a Playboy mid-ribbon. You know how my mind changes! ;) But, wow. That's looking nice! I really like it! You're an artist buddy!

Thanks buddy, but to be honest, there's not really much art in this part. Letting it dry completely, ironing the crown so it doesn't warp, and getting a good foot in is the most important thing at this stage, I think. That and cutting it cleanly. You will add the artisanship in this one with the crease and ribbon work. I'm just making you a canvas ;-)

Patience and attention to detail does pay off here though. Tom Gomez recently told me "Don't shortcut the hat." That embodies my approach pretty well, and is as good a mantra as any.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks buddy, but to be honest, there's not really much art in this part. Letting it dry completely, ironing the crown so it doesn't warp, and getting a good foot in is the most important thing at this stage, I think. That and cutting it cleanly. You will add the artisanship in this one with the crease and ribbon work. I'm just making you a canvas ;-)

Patience and attention to detail does pay off here though. Tom Gomez recently told me "Don't shortcut the hat." That embodies my approach pretty well, and is as good a mantra as any.

But that's all part of the art John. I know your obsession for detail. Blocking the hat then ironing the crown, ironing the brim and getting a crisp and clean foot, cutting the brim and then flanging it, cutting the sweat just right, making sure the reed is in properly, sewing the two ends of sweat together in the back juuuust right, and sewing the sweat in the hat with every attention to detail, and I've seen the attention you give to sewing in your sweats. All I'm doing is adding the dressing, sewing on a ribbon and creasing the crown. Definitely, for sure, there's patience with attention to detail and some skill involved in that too, but what good is the dressing if the foundation of the hat is all whopperjawed? Your end took a greater deal of work and patience to make sure that the foundation was solid. If I had the stuff to work with there's no doubt that I would do very well at it. But since I'm limited for lack of tools, and you know how picky I can be, I have to say, you're the one I turn to when I want something like this done, because you're just as picky. ;)

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks buddy. In answer to 1Mach1, I did not do the brim binding - that is original. Joao is right, it will be lost with the brim trimming, but maybe Terry will take a stab at re-binding it?

kingrat

One of the Regulars
Terry, I hope he hasn't cut the brim on the nutria , your making a mistake buddy. Call or I'll call you. Kingrat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82