Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

John Galt

Vendor
I don't really know why any reasonable professional hatter or anyone else should take offense. Terry's viewpoint is just as valid as anyone else's, doesn't seem intended to cause offense, and is factually correct.

It is indisputable that some great quality work is being done by some of the FL members who are not professional hatters. The FL membership & powers that be should be very proud of them and proud that they continue to learn and share, and also choose to showcase their work, on the FL.

It is also indisputable that the pros will lose _some_ quantum of business if more people here make, renovate, and convert their own hats, and inspire others to do the same. I don't imagine they feel too threatened by amateurs. What we are doing is still a far cry from running a successful hat making business.

I have not been here forever, but I have read a lot of the older threads. I don't recall reading about Art Fawcett getting blowback from other hatters for going pro, and that has most certainly cost some of them business.

Last edited:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Knox_10.jpg

Knox_09.jpg

Very nicely executed, Jones!! :thumb:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
That came out real nice AnA.....

Thanks, TJ. Your Knox Fifteen is a knockout!! You did a great job. :thumb:

Nice work TJ and AnA!

Many thanks, Joao!!

Great job, Ambassador!

Cheers to you! Your puller downer was a big help with the conversion!! :yo: :)

This looks so nice. First look at it, made me think of custom made from Art!

This is a high honor, and I am humbled to receive a compliment like that. The hat photographs very well, so upon further examination you would see that it is nowhere close to an Art custom. I thank you for the kind words. Perhaps one day I will have the skill and talent to actually start making hats from raw felts. Until then, I enjoy the custom touch to my collection. :)

A'nA' the ribbon change on the Dobbs looks great. You brought that Resistol back to life,your nephew is a lucky man to have a uncle like you.

He's just in the right family! :cool: It's really cool to have a family member (extended) that is gaining an interest in hats.

AnA that refurb came out beeaaaaauuuutifully!

Thanks, Roger! :) Your compliment give me more confidence for the next one!

...The FL membership & powers that be should be very proud of them and proud that they continue to learn and share, and also choose to showcase their work, on the FL.

Great comment. I definitely LOVE sharing my passions here, and I think TJ's comment recognizes our passions and talents. As I mentioned above, I'm not a hatter yet, and I'm certainly not in a league to be compared with Art. I take the compliments with gratitude and apply them to my work. That said, I still plan to give my business to custom hatters; I had approached Mike Miller of Northwest Hats to re-size a Dobbs Nor'Wester for me. The hat is so nice that I don't want to take any chances with it. I know that his skills and talents will maintain the character of the hat, as well as meet my needs.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
John Galt, AnA, thanks guys. I appreciate the support. As you both noted no offence was intended by what I said. If the "real" hatters do get offended by my comment, then they'll just have to be offended. But I shouldn't think they would. I would hope, as I have, that the "real" hatters I mentioned would appreciate the talent that some of our own Loungers have displayed in their conversions....John Galt, AnA, DOGMAN, bond, and others here have displayed some wonderful skills and have produced very nice creations. AnA is one of our most recent Loungers to show off some his own very nice work. (Nicely done AnA.) Other Loungers have also expressed a desire to learn doing their own conversions too...and I want to encourage everyone who has that desire to do so. You never know what you're capable of unless you try. There's many benefits to doing our own conversions. One of which, is economical. Money's tight for a lot of people these days, especially in this slow economy. Many of us just don't have the kind of money it takes to buy a vintage off eBay or to have one custom made. Doing our own conversions gives those of us an alternative to paying out a lot of cash for something that seems otherwise unreachable. On the otherhand, those who do have the money, and would prefer to buy either a custom made hat or a vintage one, there's nothing wrong with that either. I would say that the most satisfying benefit to doing your own conversions is that they're your very own creations and you made them the way you wanted with your own personal touches. Also, my appreciation and my thanks goes out to John Galt, Ole, (The Dane), DOGMAN, Kingrat, and others for their advice, their help, and the information they provided to those of us who wanted to learn doing our own conversions. I also want to recognize one of the "real" hatters, Tony B, who has chimed in from time to time to offer his help and assisstance. Once again AnA, very nice work on your recent conversions.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
T Jones, thanks for the compliments.I'm just a amateur with very little knowledge having great fun doing my conversions.I think it's awesome when people do there own conversions.And am willing to help if I can.I do have a couple of custom hats and some vintage also.But I do get great pleasure wearing the conversions I do for myself. So keep up the good work,love seeing all the conversions.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I want to encourage everyone who has that desire to do so[/i]. You never know what you're capable of unless you try. There's many benefits to doing our own conversions. One of which, is economical. Money's tight for a lot of people these days, especially in this slow economy.
As long it's not westerns being converted, I'm OK with it ;)

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
John Galt, AnA, thanks guys. I appreciate the support... Once again AnA, very nice work on your recent conversions.

Again, thank you for the high praises, TJ. There is the desire to DIY for financial benefit (in several ways) and the desire to DIY for challenge + pleasure. My desire is a result of both. I am very inspired by so many awesome and beautiful hats on the 'Lounge, especially those worn by some of our marquee 'Loungers, like Alan (alanfgag), David (DJH), Robert (rlk), and so many more. I am also inspired by the guys that share the same passions as myself for creativity and challenge like improving something or suiting it to their own tastes and preference.

I used to find meditation in mowing the lawn. Now I have someone that does it for me (he practically does the whole neighborhood), so working on hats is my meditation. It helps me let go of the hustle and bustle of everyday work so that I can clear my head and prepare for a new day or week or whatever.

Being able to share my work on an awesome forum like The Fedora Lounge makes each effort that much more enjoyable!! Thanks to everyone for the wonderful compliments. I hope my work and the work of other talented 'Loungers inspires more of you to do the same! :yo:

I'll add that both Major Moore and Art Fawcett have also dropped pearls here from time to time...

Parker from Falcon Park Hattery has offered a nod here and there for me, too.

And by the way, everyone, John Galt (the FL member, not the character) is a great example of a 'Lounger with the inspiration for DIY hat-making. He makes a lot of his own tools, and I own one. I used his puller downer on my last conversion. Anyone that's looking for vintage-inspired tools should consider JG! :thumb:

T Jones, thanks for the compliments. I'm just a amateur with very little knowledge having great fun doing my conversions.I think it's awesome when people do there own conversions.And am willing to help if I can.I do have a couple of custom hats and some vintage also.But I do get great pleasure wearing the conversions I do for myself. So keep up the good work,love seeing all the conversions.

Me, too! They're immediate conversation starters!

As long it's not westerns being converted, I'm OK with it ;)

I'm guilty, Joao. I didn't do the work myself, but I had Mike Miller convert an OR style Beaver Brand. I even had him cut the brim. :eeek:

Sorry. :(

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm guilty, Joao. I didn't do the work myself, but I had Mike Miller convert an OR style Beaver Brand. I even had him cut the brim. :eeek:

Sorry. :(

As long as the Western has a brim of under 4 inches Joao's okay with it....but don't cut down a black Resistol Stagecoach with a 4 1/2 inches wide brim and let Joao know about it! Oops! Was I the one who did that? ;)

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Dobbs Panama - Ribbon

So...

877ECEE4.jpg

C3E712E2.jpg

Tadaaa...

C07131FE.jpg

96E601E5.jpg

9CD49C94.jpg

F8E4BE24.jpg

The pug was soiled, and I didn't like that particular contrast. The tomato color made the straw look too yellow in person. You might not recognize the [new] ribbon, but that's the one I took off of my brown Dobbs Seven Fifty. I like pugs on straw hats, but it's a much dressier hat, now. No, it's not blue. It's more of a dark grey, almost like slate. The straw fell victim to heat, as well as the sweatband, unfortunately.

Here is the ribbon on the Dobbs...

A3842991.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I'm OK with ORs.

As long as the Western has a brim of under 4 inches Joao's okay with it....but don't cut down a black Resistol Stagecoach with a 4 1/2 inches wide brim and let Joao know about it! Oops! Was I the one who did that? ;)
Yes you were. :(
It was a very nice western you turned into a... normal hat.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Yes you were. :(
It was a very nice western you turned into a... normal hat.
Yes, but a very nice normal hat! I'm not quite finished with it yet. I'm going to cut the brim down on that one just a tad bit more to 2 /34 inches wide and then have it flanged to a fedora curl. It'll be even nicer. In any event, if I run across another Stagecoach with a 4 1/2 inches wide brim again, I'll definitely let you know about it.

John Galt

Vendor
[W]orking on hats is my meditation. It helps me let go of the hustle and bustle of everyday work so that I can clear my head and prepare for a new day or week or whatever.

Looking good! As for meditation, I have a saying that is - as far as I know - original to me; "That which encumbers the body frees the mind." I find great peace in repetitive tasks. Hat making requires more presence than lawn mowing, of course, but is also more rewarding.

Thanks for your comment regarding my tools. I've got to clean my garage before I get back to tool making, but I found my three brass handles for making tollikers and will make some more soon. Also maybe some heart tollikers in the next couple of weeks, and more puller downers. Probably try to make & sell some sets.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I express my opinion watching from afar a world, conversions, that fascinates me and teaches us to have another relationship with the things we love. There are tons of hats around that few people carry on their heads. In Italy (where I live) it is increasingly rare to see a fedora during the winter, in the summer, tourists often have panama and the situation improves.:)
It is frustrating to have handy hats that are measuring large or small or stressed by their long service life and need to be rebuilt or converted. Seeing this thread and its hardworking DIY they seemed out of place many hats I have in my private collection because they are not very wearable and them back together becomes a source of life for what we love. Unfortunately, my skills are poor manufacturing, but something I learned and without proper tools can only give (new) shape to hats that would otherwise remain locked in the closet. I try to learn, but I know I have a lot to spend with my hands. So I'm delighted to see this DIY which renews hats and the possibility of reviving a passion. I do not think everything is offensive to the haters that are in another dimension, in fact I am convinced this Conversion corrall may be an incentive for them to look at how the "hatters on their own" create.
So this is the work of all those who have skills and passion to renew the hats and could be a source of ideas for everyone.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I express my opinion watching from afar a world, conversions, that fascinates me and teaches us to have another relationship with the things we love. There are tons of hats around that few people carry on their heads. In Italy (where I live) it is increasingly rare to see a fedora during the winter, in the summer, tourists often have panama and the situation improves.:)
It is frustrating to have handy hats that are measuring large or small or stressed by their long service life and need to be rebuilt or converted. Seeing this thread and its hardworking DIY they seemed out of place many hats I have in my private collection because they are not very wearable and them back together becomes a source of life for what we love. Unfortunately, my skills are poor manufacturing, but something I learned and without proper tools can only give (new) shape to hats that would otherwise remain locked in the closet. I try to learn, but I know I have a lot to spend with my hands. So I'm delighted to see this DIY which renews hats and the possibility of reviving a passion. I do not think everything is offensive to the haters that are in another dimension, in fact I am convinced this Conversion corrall may be an incentive for them to look at how the "hatters on their own" create.
So this is the work of all those who have skills and passion to renew the hats and could be a source of ideas for everyone.

Nicely said Daniele, but don't be afraid to try it if that's your passion. You'll probably find that you have far more talent than you realize. I think people excel in the things they're passionate about. If you decide to give doing a conversion a try, there's guys here who will gladly lend their advise and expertise to help you. Start off with something that you don't have much invested in and practice on that. I would encourage you to give it try.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thank you TJones. I had just transformed a passion in a way of life and job: photography. Now I'm learning the basis of hatters work. I started with steam and hands to change form of some hats. For resize and cutting and ribbon I want more time :rolleyes:
I observe your works as a pupil and when I will have more skils I will ask you some helps....

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you TJones. I had just transformed a passion in a way of life and job: photography. Now I'm learning the basis of hatters work. I started with steam and hands to change form of some hats. For resize and cutting and ribbon I want more time :rolleyes:
I observe your works as a pupil and when I will have more skils I will ask you some helps....

You're welcome buddy. I think that anyone who has a passion for learning conversions, to actually building their own hats, should at least give themselves a chance and pursue it. I think many people would surprise themselves with the talents they actually have. I've learned a lot from good guys like, John Galt, Ole, (The Dane), DOGMAN, and kingrat. The Conversion Corral is a good place to learn and the guys here are great about helping each other. AnA is another lounge member who has recently given it a try and his works have been nothing short of impressive. I have to give credit to the Fedora Lounge for making it possible that we may have some fine and talented new hatters in our future.

Last edited:

ideaguy

One Too Many
can't make this up: "puller-downers". Great name for a tool that obviously does
a job helping gravity along...language of the hatter's trade is rich with arcane
names of odder still pieces of equipment; one of the great things about being
smitten by an old traditional specialty is the specificity of the terminology,
and the DIY crowd makes some of the tools out of necessity, creating new
objects calling for even more interesting definitions; like any of the "forgotten"
traditions, Master gives pupil the key to new language as well as showing the
"nothing up my sleeve" magic of transforming a lump of felt into wearable
sculpture; nothing can ever take the place of learning the "old way"-
good reason to respect the smoke and mirrors behind the curtains-
a lot of great guys share openly on the Lounge-making the learning
more precious; won't find much hat mastery on Facebook...

John Galt

Vendor
Ideaguy, I won my trial in an unexpected dismissal on the first day, and the other trial appears to have settled. Your hat is back on the block.

sanu3aga.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82