Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I see, what you mean - and I do believe, it'll be hard to find a finer speciment. I do understand the appeal - and I don't find the brim/edge in question "unattractive" - but I still personally find a rounded edge more appealing :)

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Terry : You asked about the technique, and I found a picture of Rusty's, where I pounce the edge of my "Ole Buckaroo":

Pouncing_Brim_Edge.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
The first photo is the same edge but straight on. The execution of the cut is pretty much perfect.

I had thought the shadows in the first photo were "pulls" of felt from the edge (I have seen this before), but was viewing on my phone. I looked at the first photo on the desktop and now understand. I agree, it is about as perfect a cut as could be accomplished, and as noted, it actually does look very finished. I still like other brim finishes better though ;-)

I see, what youR mean - and I do believe, it'll be hard to find a finer speciment. I do understand the appeal - and I don't find the brim/edge in question "unattractive" - but I still personally find a rounded edge more appealing :)

I have many with rounded edges too. I just think the hat (also many others) I posted really benefits from a sharp raw edge. Also if the execution of the cut was off it would be glaring.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Are you using a machine there? I can't tell from the photo.

Well, this is actually done entirely by hand. The brim had just been in the "plater" - a machine, that presses the brim and sharpens the break line - and was cut. That left the brim still rather stiff. Doing it by hand leaves you in full control - but you have to be patient and careful :)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Nice info going here.

It's not a conversion but I can't think of another place to ask this.
I removed the glued sweatband from that 30x Stetson using a hairdryer (on the outside of the hat).
Now the leather is glued together where it was sewed and have the bow. How can I unglue this? I do know leather and heat doesn't mix and I want to keep all those X's stamped.

Part of the nappa is missing. Must get a piece to complete this and re-stitch it.
30xsweat01.jpg

30xsweat02.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
I would cut it with a penknife or a paring knife as if you were skinning an animal - so as to minimize the damage to the felt. Better to cut the sweat than the felt. Then, lay on a sweat to fit, cut it across both sides of the sweat at the overlap in one cut so that they match, and sew it together, and in. Or just send it to me, and I'll take care it for you...

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
There is no problem with the felt as I was able to completely remove the sweatband from the hatbody. I must take better pictures of what I want.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Well, this is actually done entirely by hand. The brim had just been in the "plater" - a machine, that presses the brim and sharpens the break line - and was cut. That left the brim still rather stiff. Doing it by hand leaves you in full control - but you have to be patient and careful :)

Understood!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Very carefully.I use a sewing needle to slowly pick it apart one thread at a time.I've did a few it takes practice.
Thanks buddy. I think I've seen one that you did. It looked good. I have some scraps of ribbon that I can practice on. I'm going to try it.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Hope someone can answer this one for me....How is a "Frayed Bow" done?

Some weavings can be a little tricky at the sides of the ribbon. It can be hard to get the thread loose from "around" the sides. It's a little difficult to explain, but it sometimes seems as if the weave is secured by knots, tied in the sides of the ribbon. Then it sometimes helps to loosen two threads at the time with the needle. By gently pulling the two threads alternately, you can get them to loosen up at the sides. You have to try it out to fully understand, what on Earth I'm babbling about :D

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Some weavings can be a little tricky at the sides of the ribbon. It can be hard to get the thread loose from "around" the sides. It's a little difficult to explain, but it sometimes seems as if the weave is secured by knots, tied in the sides of the ribbon. Then it sometimes helps to loosen two threads at the time with the needle. By gently pulling the two threads alternately, you can get them to loosen up at the sides. You have to try it out to fully understand, what on Earth I'm babbling about :D
I'm getting my ribbon scraps and needle right after I post this. I'll let you know how it goes! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe