Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

CRH

Call Me a Cab
It would take a fair amount of alcohol in my system before I'd ever get brave enough to take scissors to a brim. :eeek: I don't think I can even drink that much any more.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It would take a fair amount of alcohol in my system before I'd ever get brave enough to take scissors to a brim. :eeek: I don't think I can even drink that much any more.

The trick is to stay sober when you do it....I haven't had one problem using scissors, although I would much rather have a Rounding Jack. I can't afford the asking prices for one so I use what I have available. Both hats I did came out really nice. No issuses with either of the brims. I didn't have much invested in them and I bought them just for the sole purpose of practicing on. But like I previously stated, they're my hats. What I do with mine is nobody else's business. If some of these guys who cry and moan about about my methods don't like it, tough. Or, if they have a Rounding Jack or a Hat Block they'd like to let go of, they can send me a PM and I'll gladly give them my shipping address. Definitely a win, win for everybody. I'll cut my brims with a Rounding Jack and they'll have nothing else to moan about! ;)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab

That's the problem with abuse. When you get older - and the body can't cope with large amounts anymore - trembling sets in. A plausible solution could be: Don't drink - or do your brim-trimmings while still young :D

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a recent conversion I finished for Geldoc . Its a fed IV that I switched out from a boring brown ribbon. Added crown ribbon in sage grey wind cord and tan mist binding. Forgot to take the before pic.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's a recent conversion I finished for Geldoc . Its a fed IV that I switched out from a boring brown ribbon. Added crown ribbon in sage grey wind cord and tan mist binding. Forgot to take the before pic.
That looks really nice bond! Very nice job....you didn't use scissors, did you? ;)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
What ever works. Knock yourself out! ;)

knockout.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Bond: I think, it would be appropriate if you elaborated a little on your statement about the poor brim cuttings by other hatters. It would be great for other loungers to be able to navigate around the most incompetent custom hatters - and it would be only fair to the hatters, who may feel their reputation unrighteously tarnished.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Gee whiz, Bond...it would be hard to detect that hat was not made from day one to look that sharp!

Yes, I am sure at some point in time, perhaps in a few months from now, having a rounding jack made here is going to happen. When that does take place, we would either be willing to do brim cutting for free or if a person had a few hats they wanted to just do for themselves, to send it off for them to use.

I just viewed a video presentation of Tom Gomez using a rounding jack. Wow. Was simple and fast. I am sure however, from what I have been reading and also from what I know TonyB stated to me when I had him make Daniel's Birthday hat, that sand paper will more than not have to be used on the brim to finish it off.

Maybe in the future also, making a ribbon to install on the edge of a brim may take place, but that is something Daniel would have to do, I am not one to sew by machine or hand, and in the past, Daniel was better at doing any thing by hand that was to be sewn.

Some really sharp looking hats being "converted" here by all of you. Talented eye for turning a nice hat into a great hat, for sure!

Geldoc

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Bond, for another great conversion. Bond has done a number of Akubra conversions for me - Fed IVs and Campdrafts - as well as other hats. All are outstanding. He has a great eye as well as technical skill, and if something won't' work, is not reluctant to let me know, ha. But also suggest alternatives.

bond

I ain't going there Dane so don't even pursue that track. I only mentioned it as a reference to brims are not perfectly round as people would like them to be. I have restored many hats old and new whose brims were far from perfect. This is all in reference to those who say brim cutter jack vs another method is better than not. End of story.

bond

Here's a comparison pic of beaver bodies in whiskey the lighter one is the one I posted yesterday in New hat thread and was in experiment to see if I could lighten the color a shade or two. The other one is actually Geldocs before I converted it with a different set of ribbons.

bond

Thanks T, its a nice color for sure but a real challenge choosing a ribbon color that works well, at least for me that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe