Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cheese thread

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
It's a slice-to-order meat, and I go for a medium slice (thinner than a commercial cut of regular bologna). Two slices of that, one of Jarlsberg, a bit of mayo and yellow mustard on dark rye is my preference.

(My 92 year old Grannie grew up eating the same combo of flavors, so did my mom. I introduced it to The Mister, and he's hooked, too!)

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Brad Bowers said:
This thread is as bad as the steak thread for making me hungry.:)

Thanks for the tip!

Brad

"Excellent...
There, you see, Smithers? The mere mention of rotted lactose sends these jackenapes into a Pavlovian frenzy of drool! Their simplistic hunger will soon be reflected in my portfolio, now richly endowed with agricultural holdings in Switzerland and Italy, France and Germany, even Wisconsin.
So let the S&P crumble like a block of Feta. The economy will shrivel, whole communities will fall, but the consumer will stagger through it all unrelenting, bedraggled and glassy-eyed, wanting for cheese...
and Burns wins again."

dnjan

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
One cheese I particularly didn't like was Gjetost. It looks like a bar of brown soap, but in a good way. My father liked it and I really tried to also, but I just couldn't get past the powerful aromatics.
During a trip to Norway many years ago I was told that I had to taste Gjetost three times before I made my final decision. I tried. I really tried. But after tasting it the second time I promised myself I would never do such a thing again.

dnjan

One Too Many
Spatterdash said:
I'm a Stilton man myself, the King of blue cheeses in my opinion.
Here is a recipe for a Stilton-Bacon CheeseCake Incredibly rich - Next time I will make them smaller than the recipe suggests. But these are heaven with a good tawny port (and probably also with that LBV mentioned earlier).

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
$ally said:
How about that free cheese the government was giving away in the 80s?

Gu'ment cheese was the best stuff ever! My Momma would freeze those HUGE bricks. We had some till the late 90s lol

Great grilled cheese it made!

LD

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
RABIER-La-vache.jpg

$ally

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Gu'ment cheese was the best stuff ever! My Momma would freeze those HUGE bricks. We had some till the late 90s. Great grilled cheese it made! LD
lol Yeah, it was, and about the size of a cinder block! As it turns out they may have given us that in lieu of social security.

pgoat

One Too Many
$ally said:
How about that free cheese the government was giving away in the 80s?

Yikes....Those big orangey bricks.....That brings back some bad memories !!:D I'm having flashbacks of Tom Waits singing about Velveeta melted over something served in an all night diner....

My cheese secret of sorts - Dunno why, but Trader Joe's has Jarlsberg for like half the price of anywhere else.....

I am a long time cheese abuser. I thought that was why I was fat but I cut my cheese consumption down by about 90% over the last 6 months and didn't lose any weight (guess it was my addiction to the bread I always ate with the cheese...and never stopped eating)
:rolleyes:

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Hey everyone!!!! Well, I have to say "I LOOOVE this thread" lol!!!!! I'm addicted to any kind of cheese... The smelly ones, the stinky ones, the unpasteurized one, the laughing cow, cheddar, morbier lol lol lol, goat cheese, parmiggiano, gorgonzola, roquefort, comt?©, St Marcellin, Crottin de Chavignol, Brie, Camembert, Fourme d'Ambert, Bleu des Causses, Pecorino........... I tell you every type of cheese!!!! Yummy, in winter I love Raclette and Fondue!!!

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Roquefort,wow... nice call, Penny.

I haven't had a roquefort in ages. I gotta do that again.

I appreciate the reminder, I'd completely forgotten about it.

Also, it's neat seeing all these Camembert fans. Who knew?

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Gu'ment cheese was the best stuff ever! My Momma would freeze those HUGE bricks. We had some till the late 90s lol

Great grilled cheese it made!

LD

Oh, God, that stuff was good! I wish they'd sell it, it was better than anything I can get at the grocery stores. One of my childhood dogs was obsessed with cheese & milk, and he lived for Gu'ment.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Oh my, that sounds fantastic! According to Seltzer's website, a local grocer here carries their Lebabon Bologna. I'll pick some up and some Jarlsberg, bake a loaf of hearth bread, and wash it all down with a bottle of Hoegaarden. What a plan for the weekend.Brad

So, how was it?

That does sound terrific. I'm going to pick up some Lebanon Bologna at Snider Plaza tomorrow!

Brad Bowers said:
This thread is as bad as the steak thread for making me hungry.:)

Ditto! I just made a grilled sharp cheddar on Jewish rye as a snack before I leave for dinner.

Yesterday, I had a pastrami and baby swiss on Jewish rye. This is one of my favorites. My daughter likes it even more.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
So, how was it?

Ah, that's a sad tale. I still don't know. The stores that Seltzer advertised as carrying it hadn't heard of it. I visited all the grocery stores in the valley, and no one else carries it. I'll have to wait until I make a trip to the big city to see if I can find it.:(

Brad

pgoat

One Too Many
gluegungeisha said:
I love getting cheese at Trader Joe's! I always get my brie there because it is priced insanely low.

yeah how do they do that? It's not like everything there is super cheap....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld