Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Now, if you can promise me that my cap bills will be made from old coffee sacks, giving me the lovely aroma of coffee beans whenever I wear it - I'm going to be ordering some caps!

What size is your head TT? Coffee sack size?? :D I may have struck a motherload of vintage.

I don't actually think coffee sacks are the right density of weave, though. Fibers a bit big and weave a bit loose, in general, though there are different types of sacks with different weaves. One would naturally wash the sacks before use. That smell would get just a bit irritating over time.

Last edited:

Simonds

Vendor
The CapPuccino! :) Yes, I'm thinking the material is hemp,jute,hessian,gunny,burlap etc. All of these being basically the same type of material would probably work providing you use the correct weave and weight.

Last edited:

highway66blues

One of the Regulars
Burlap would be close but w/o the stiffness, depending on the weave as mentioned by the good Baron.
Not thinkin' it's Jute either.
Now, if ya starched the hell outta either of those, I'm sure that'd do.

Gotta be a millnery Buckram, esp. for the period, me thinks.
This stuff was used by book makers for binding and covering and also by clothing makers and hatters as a stiffner.
Now, between the 2, book & clothing, it'd be different kinds of buckram. The book makes type being thiner.
Millnery has 3 different weights- baby (like the book), single ply, & double ply.
Hatters buckram was made using starch or some may have used a schelack. It was soaked so it could be put over a hat block to dry back to a stiff shape.
Also used as a as a headband stiffener in hat & cap making.

I've had some "run-in's" with the stuff during my time doin' Living History. Did some sewing with it and knew a few folks that were/are hatters that make decent, correct, as close to the original thing as yer gonna get items.
Those folks made use of it , sometimes extensively in making their items.

Last edited:
Amazing 1930s-50s french workwear cap in denim. Selvedge used for the sweatband.

frenchdenimcap1.jpg

frenchdenimcap2.jpg

frenchdenimcap3.jpg

frenchdenimcap4.jpg

frenchdenimcap5.jpg

frenchdenimcap6.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Okay, I just had to have a little fun with this one. I'm wearing my linen Stetson Gilchrist while I posed with the Wild One and his gang. The linen material was originally sewn to the brim but I cut the stitching so I could move it around where I wanted...

77al.jpg

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Stetson linen/cotton blend trim 8 panel

This Stetson arrived with the morning mail. I think I like it. It's a trim fit, which is good for my very narrow face.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82