Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
P1030316.JPG
:D

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
From what I can tell, there's a glen of derby trees, a couple of homburg trees, a boater/panama/straw forest, and a vast wilderness of fur fedora firs.

Great stuff, rlk.

coble

A-List Customer
now that is a really neat idea. I like it RLK. That would make a great christmas card cover.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Burkhardt Bros. Co. HartLee Derby

A well worn derby from Burkhardt Bros. Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio. Un-tapered sides with a gently rounded crown. Very substantial and stiff felt, with a thick leather sweatband taped at the rear. Possibly refurbished at one time based upon the liner having re-applied monogram letters and the sweatband having what appears to be old stitching reinforced by adhesive. Ostensibly size 7-1/2, it is unfortunately slightly too narrow for me to wear properly or comfortably.

Crown: 5-1/2".
Ribbon: 1-1/4".
Brim: 2-1/8".
Sweatband: 2".

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Crofut & Knapp Derby, Special Quality

Crofut & Knapp Derby, ca. 1910s-1920s. Felt is of Summer weight and somewhat flexible, with a high, 5-1/2"+, rounded crown accentuated by a narrower ribbon. Quality trimmings all around, with a soft and supple sweatband, making for a very comfortable fit.

Crown: 5-1/2" as indicated by the tag, but closer to 6" as I measure.
Ribbon: 15/16".
Brim: 1-15/16" fore and aft.

Additional discussion on this derby in the Crofut & Knapp Tales.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Mallory Aristocrat Derby

An Aristocrat Quality Derby. United Hatters stamp, rolled sweatband with taped rear seam and earlier, black cloth size tag. Moderately full proportions with a tall, very slightly tapered and rounded crown. Though tagged as 7-3/8, it is dimensionally identical to my size 7-1/2 derbys.

Crown: 5-1/2".
RIbbon: 1-1/2".
Brim: 2-1/8" fore and aft.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Stetson Select Quality Derby

A Summer weight, ventilated Select Quality Derby. Rolled sweatband with taped rear seam. Crown is of modest height and is straight and un-tapered, with a flat top, creating a very pronounced, rectangular profile.

Crown: 5".
Ribbon: 1-1/8".
Brim: 2-1/4" fore and aft.
Sweatband: 1-7/8".

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Derby Comparison

Top, oblique view of, from L to R, Mallory Aristocrat, C&K Special Quality, and Stetson Select Quality. Note the significant differences in crown height and shape, as well as brim width and curl.

Frontal view illustrating the differences in brim curl and crown shape. The Mallory Aristocrat to the left represents a compromise between the taller crowned and more highly curled narrow brim of the C&K Special Qualityin the center, and the lower, taperless, flat crowed and flatter curled, wider brimmed Stetson Select Quality to the right.

Frontal quater view further demonstrating the differences in crown shape and taper.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Delectans,

Thank you for a beautiful and informative series of posts! Unfortunately, now I want a bowler...

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Steve: I appreciate your kind remarks, thank you. Love your Brüder Böhm Melone. Can you clarify why the name used is 'Brüder' versus 'Gebrüder'? An expedient contraction, perhaps? Your Hut-Schick Melone is incredible as well.

Alan: Thanks, and no need to worry, my friend. Many others here are more severely afflicted with this incurable malady than me. lol

Ed: Thank you, and I am guessing the old Mallory is your favorite of the bunch. ;)

Chasseur: I am hoping that you are size ≤7-1/4 or ≥7-3/4! lol Thanks for your kind words.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe