Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Just received this Collins and Fairbanks Derby in the mail. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419284064.367172.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419284079.915495.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419284090.820577.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419284106.843564.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419284117.458394.jpg

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
It's a bit tight as its not a LO but it's definitely wearable right now, (right after a haircut) I'm not so sure it will fit as well in two weeks.

Last edited:

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family

Couldnt be more happy with the both of them, the grey one is an older example looking like 30's or 40's.

The one in black cherry/maroon looks like 50/60's but is very well made, it's identical in blocking as a brown Herbert Johnson bowler I used to own.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Oh man, that is a beaut!

Does anyone remember how to shape a vintage derby brim? As I recall it is not as simple as steam, but I've been looking at a lot of old photos where the sides are much higher than anything I've seen in person.

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
OCMH, you have the best derbies. I am still trying to find even a single vintage derby in any color other than black (in my size). Good job!

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Thank you very kindly for the kind words gents, after seeing some of the beautiful old grey melones that Mayser owns i've been on the hunt for a grey bowler for a long time now. It really is amazing how rare it is to see other colors pop up from the standard black.

That black cherry one really is something else. It's even got kind of a long hair finish to it as well, John Steed on the old Avengers show wore one that was more than likely from the maker of this one.

And Bowlerman, I actually had to steam the brim of that first grey bowler I posted because both sides of the brim had been were bent upwards in different directions, it took a quite a bit of steam but it eventually shaped really easy.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I was tempted to bid on it...but it was pretty small, so I didn't. I had been watching it for a while. It needs a good brushing and steaming, but after that it should polish up VERY nicely!

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
I almost bid on it the first time it was listed as being 58-59 cm. It'll more than likely be a bit too small, but i'm just keeping my fingers that just perhaps they were off on their measurements again in my favor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe