Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Nice ad!

What type of felt would the Stetson bowler be? Is it 100% beaver felt or some type of fur mix?

It's possible it has some Beaver content. One of the Stetson collectors might know more about the Select Quality as it pertains to Stiff Felts (from a Stetson catalog). You could also try searching around (look for old catalogs) in the Stetson related threads.

Leacock

Familiar Face
I acquired a Bowler hat whilst in England this spring which I am inordinately proud of, I'm wondering if someone could help me identify the manufacturer? On the inside there are the initials DH with a Top Hat.

Bumping this question. Does anyone have any idea what company made my hat? Or would you need a picture?

oak1971

Familiar Face
Cavenagh i picked up for $40

cavenaugh3_zps1a5b5995.jpg

cavenaugh2_zps2c3f3507.jpg

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
i'll have to check when it arrives but from a close up pic of the sweat stitching it looks original. i'll check underneath the cloth sweatband for any remnants of a previous one.

i'm pretty sure its a silk finish but the seller described it as beaver.

It (riding Derby?) definitely has something (Silk Plush, Nutria, Beaver) applied to it in the manner of a Top Hat. Also interesting that there is a seam along the top of the crown (different color applique).

Intriguing... has the look of an equestrian derby with the top hat lineage of Dunlap. Very visible seams to the silk plush, as if it were a top hat reblocked to a tall derby. Look forward to your report.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
It (riding Derby?) definitely has something (Silk Plush, Nutria, Beaver) applied to it in the manner of a Top Hat. Also interesting that there is a seam along the top of the crown (different color applique).

Neat looking hat! I had noticed that difference, too--kinda hard not to. Not that it's a bad thing, necessarily; it's just really interesting. It goes to show that there's always something new to see in hats. :) Can't wait to hear more when it arrives!

A

oak1971

Familiar Face
Super find! From the Derby revival of the late 50s?

I haven't been able to date it yet. The liner has a more recent company logo, but the sweatband script seems older though still like new. Odd. Could have been a special run not documented on the interweb.

Last edited:

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family

So this one is a bit odd. It doesn't appear to have been converted from a top hat to bowler. But its very clearly two different colors of silk plush or beaver fur. the bottom is a dark brown, the top is more often seen black. It looks like it was repaired at some point by someone other than Dunlap.

Whats also strange is that the construction seems far more delicate than what would be needed for an equestrian derby. This would provide very little head protection.

Aside from that it's in wonderful condition considering its age. It is a small size, but after wearing it out and about I feel like this was meant to be worn on the very top of the head. I don't think i've gotten more compliments on a hat than this one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe