Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I just found this beautiful Mallory Gold Medal Cravenette made in the 30's and I couldn't believe it was in my size 7 1/4.....

286z9j9.jpg

34zbr5h.jpg

The next pic looks like there are some marks on the left underside of the brim but it was just the way the lighting hit ..... no marks anywhere on this hat....

28tw6du.jpg

19tdns.jpg

szh10y.jpg

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Great looking Mallory, i'm always amazed seeing these 80+ year old Bowlers in near flawless condition. Its crazy thinking about what other little gems might be hiding in peoples attics.

Alan, What is the lighest you have encountered? I know Manfred's Rehfus & Cie. and my wool Negretti (German but not sure who made it) are ~ 115 grams.

Just weighed the Stetson Premier Quality Featherweight on the postal scale - 130 grams. Bit heavier than a feather, though very comfortable on. I don't think any of my other derbies are lighter, though I might put my unlined Stetson on the scale just to make sure.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1900s? Stetson Bowler. In amazing shape! Looks to be very unworn. The only issue I see is tha the sweat has seperated from the body in some areas, there is are some small stains on the brim binding, and well... it's too small for my head! Gah! It fits if I pull it down, but leaves ya with a great big headache after, haha! Also, the liner is white, the indoor lighting in my home makes it seem a bit, yellowish in some photos.

b110.jpg

b210.jpg

b310.jpg

This is how it sits w/o pulling it on.
08810.jpg

Pulled on tightly.
08910.jpg

I am unsure on how I look in Derbys, but I do know I want to find one in my size now!

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
I think you pull off a bowler just fine. I tend to wear them down on my head as you're inclined to, but back when bowlers/derbies were in fashion men were clearly wearing ones that in our eyes would be like 3 sizes too small.

What great condition that's in too.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I just found this beautiful Mallory Gold Medal Cravenette made in the 30's and I couldn't believe it was in my size 7 1/4.....

286z9j9.jpg

34zbr5h.jpg

The next pic looks like there are some marks on the left underside of the brim but it was just the way the lighting hit ..... no marks anywhere on this hat....

28tw6du.jpg

19tdns.jpg

szh10y.jpg
Very nice hat, OG! You sure find some great deals!

kolchak

New in Town
I have decided to try vintage bowlers as well as look for a modern. This board has been very helpful and there are some really amazing hats in this thread

I just received this "Dulcis" Make Con-form long oval wafer hat. I'm not sure of the year but it fits comfortably and is super light. It has ventilation holes on either side of the top. The curl is very well styled and the geometry and workmanship are smooth. I don't know exactly how to date it or anything really about the company. The felt looks almost new - needs a brushing. The brim is 2" and the crown is 5"
Here are some pics:

bc6g.jpg

2ljn6sk.jpg

oa9d04.jpg

b7g9aa.jpg

vz8tgj.jpg

2aiodcn.jpg

23m6fpx.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member