Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Dreispitz said:
Came in, today, from the UK. 1931 high crown and rather flatish shaped brim, as typical for the period. It stil rested in it´s original box. Note the two vent openings in the liner. The top of the crown features coresponding holes.

[URL="
P1000774.jpg
[/URL]

Wow that is a beauty! The vents are very interesting. Like to see a shot of the top. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Dreispitz said:
Came in, today, from the UK. 1931 high crown and rather flatish shaped brim, as typical for the period. It stil rested in it´s original box. Note the two vent openings in the liner. The top of the crown features coresponding holes.

Amazing! :eusa_clap

billysmom

One Too Many
Dreispitz said:

[URL="
P1000774.jpg

I love it! Congrats!

Sue

billysmom

One Too Many
Borsalino Bowler

This Borsalino bowler arrived today:

DSCF1818.jpg

5" crown, 2 1/4" brim, 1" ribbon with frayed edges.

I love the liner!

DSCF1819.jpg

2 1/8" sweat:

DSCF1821.jpg

DSCF1826.jpg

DSCF1825.jpg

Note the classic corrugation:

DSCF1824.jpg

DSCF1827.jpg

It's been crunched at some point, but a bit of steam evened out the dimples and disguised the one small crack in the brim. Altogether a wonderful lid! I'll

Sue

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
Great Outfits

Slim Portly said:
Indeed, I wear my derbies regularly, and I dare say that, in my humble opinion, I resemble neither a comedic actor not a butcher. I'm happy to let others make the final judgment.

DSC03806.jpg

DSC04019CROP.jpg

DSC04037-CROP.jpg

DSC04080-CROP.jpg

I have been planning on getting some 3 piece suits made before I return from Kabul...but after seeing your photos, I'm getting some ideas about some additional vest options:) Like the shoes, too...discussed a pair of Allen Edmond Spectators with my wife last year and got a lot of push-back on that, so I dropped that for a bit...:(

Sam Craig

One Too Many
great hats

Congratulations to everyone for some great looking hats.

It would be a great idea for all hat wearers to get a bowler or homburg and start wearing them with a suit once a week, just to make the society accept them again!

American Hat Co. was making a wide-brimmed bowler for the Cowboy Action Shooting market that was nice looking, but tough enough to take a lot of wear, but I haven't seen one for quite a quile.

Are there still wide brimmed bowlers available for us larger folk?

AEH

One of the Regulars
Mallory bowler - with cracks

I got this Mallory bowler off eBay some time ago. The hat looked nice in the pictures, and was in my size, so I was happy to get the winning bid.

mallory_1.jpg

Nice inside, "Styled for Wormser hat stores".

mallory_2.jpg

Would very much like to have this hat dated, and maybe the "Aero Flex" sweatband is of help? The liner is glued in. The sweatband and lining are of good quality.

mallory_3.jpg

But the pictures on eBay did not show the cracks in the relatively stiff felt. :mad: Maybe they where made during transportation. :mad:

mallory_4.jpg

Anyway, I don't want the hassle of sorting this out with the seller/shipping agency. Return shipping from Norway to US alone will probably cost as much as the hat itself. [huh]

So the big question is: Are there ways to fix these kind of cracks?
Very grateful for any help, also with dating.

Big_e

Practically Family
Yay! I get to post here finally! My new Dynofelt Derby came in from Hats Plus. It's a mix of fur and wool felt. Seems pretty well made for a hat of it's caliber and it fits like it was made for my head. I really think this is now my new favorite hat...next to my beret...and my porkpie.
Ernest

Picture228.jpg

I do love feathers in my hats
Picture230.jpg

Picture233.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Long live Derby Day Fridays

Several of us are trying to get America back on rolled brim hats ... Derbies or Homburgs.

We invite all of you with these great hats to join us in wearing one on the first Friday of each month.

If you can't wear them to work, enjoy putting one on to go to the store or out to eat.

Please ... a derby is a terrible thing to waste!

donnc

One of the Regulars
Sam Craig said:
We invite all of you with these great hats to join us in wearing one on the first Friday of each month.

Might have to remind us, but I'm ready to go - just acquired a wool bowler at a fairly economical price, actually may be my first hat with a liner. I look kind of like I escaped from the circus, but this hat really does look best on me tilted to the back. I reckon if nothing else, it will be appreciated when I play tuba for the ladies Morris side.

Big_e

Practically Family
Sam Craig said:
Several of us are trying to get America back on rolled brim hats ... Derbies or Homburgs.

If you can't wear them to work, enjoy putting one on to go to the store or out to eat.

Please ... a derby is a terrible thing to waste!

Sign me up. I'll do my part.

When my hat came in Wednesday, I put in on and went straight to my local diner for some supper. It's an old diner and the clientel are older folks who wear nice hats and clothes. From the outside I spotted an older gentleman wearing a nice black western hat (meh, nice hat), another gentleman wearing a grey fedora with matching ribbon (nice, stiff competition) then I walked in, BAM! I won.:)
Ernest

Big_e

Practically Family
It's not the first Friday today, but I'm gonna go "over the top" anyway. Stepping out to have supper with my Dynafelt.
Ernest

PS: Got some good compliments on my hat and the cute waitress was really chatty today! :)

Picture242.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe