Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with this newest black Borsalino project of mine. I don't know how to decide on this. The brim on this one, after I took it apart and sized it up from a 7 1/8 to a 7 1/4, is still pretty wide at 3 1/4. Too wide for a fedora to suit me. I can easily fix that by trimming the brim to 2 3/4 and having myself another nice black Borsalino fedora with the proportions I like. On the other hand, if I do that, I lose the brim stitching around the edge. The other option, if I don't want to lose the stitched brim edge treatment is to make it a Western. Here's an idea of what it would look like if I choose to make this a western. This is only a quick dry creased and make shift cattleman and the brim is only 'dry shaped' as well until I decide what I want to do. Thoughts, anybody?

Black-Borsalino-II-2-A.jpg
It would be a real shame to loose that cool edge treatment. That is a super wide brim width though. I would love to see your trademark crease with a swoopy fedora brim, even if it is wide.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with this newest black Borsalino project of mine. I don't know how to decide on this. The brim on this one, after I took it apart and sized it up from a 7 1/8 to a 7 1/4, is still pretty wide at 3 1/4. Too wide for a fedora to suit me. I can easily fix that by trimming the brim to 2 3/4 and having myself another nice black Borsalino fedora with the proportions I like. On the other hand, if I do that, I lose the brim stitching around the edge. The other option, if I don't want to lose the stitched brim edge treatment is to make it a Western. Here's an idea of what it would look like if I choose to make this a western. This is only a quick dry creased and make shift cattleman and the brim is only 'dry shaped' as well until I decide what I want to do. Thoughts, anybody?

If you tried it as a western and didn’t really like it you could always modify into some sort of a fedora. It’s impossible to go the other way so why not leave the brim as it is and give the western look a try first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think it looks very good as a western actually. I believe these wide brimmed black hats are aimed at the orthodox jewish community (the wider the brim the more pious the wearer). They wear their hats in their own style. Making it a regular fedora would probably make it look a bit odd, so the western makeover is a good bet. Looks good in the picture already.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It would be a real shame to loose that cool edge treatment. That is a super wide brim width though. I would love to see your trademark crease with a swoopy fedora brim, even if it is wide.
Thank you buddy. I did a dry run that way but it just didn't look right with that wide of a brim. I could cut the brim down and make it look really good as a fedora, but as you said, I just can't bring myself to losing that brim edge treatment. So definitely, making it a Western is my only option at this point if I want to keep the brim edge treatment and make it look right. Just gotta figure out what kind of crown crease I want. I'm kinda pulling away from the Cattleman and opting for a more old school Western look.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I think it looks very good as a western actually. I believe these wide brimmed black hats are aimed at the orthodox jewish community (the wider the brim the more pious the wearer). They wear their hats in their own style. Making it a regular fedora would probably make it look a bit odd, so the western makeover is a good bet. Looks good in the picture already.
Thank you, steur. I believe Western's the way I'm going with it at this point. It could very well be that these black wide brimmed Borsas were made for the Jewish community. I was skeptical about that at first, but the more I looked into those wide brimmed Borsas the more I think some of you guys are right about that.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
What would you say to try to keep the brim flat? And then make a straight crown. So keep the seam that borders the brim and you have a straight crown and the flat brim like a pair of Borsalino models of the past days. Look at the photos I've posted, some days ago of the black Borsalino with wide brim
4jugza.jpg

I think you could have some inspiration
iqzuwg.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
What would you say to try to keep the brim flat? And then make a straight crown. So keep the seam that borders the brim and you have a straight crown and the flat brim like a pair of Borsalino models of the past days. Look at the photos I've posted, some days ago of the black Borsalino with wide brim
4jugza.jpg

iqzuwg.jpg
That's a nice one, Daniele! Thanks for sharing that.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
4jugza.jpg

iqzuwg.jpg
Thanks to Terry's and Daniel's posts about a Fedora Borsalino, I've been encouraged to look afresh at a Borsalino Homburg I bought a couple of years or so ago.

The brim was very flat and wide (7cm) and the crown quite high at 15cm, which led me to speculate that it was a Borsalino made for my brethren in the Orthodox Jewish Community.

I'm still not sure about this, perhaps the brim just went floppy due to storage issues, but the "before" photos posted below will either confirm or deny my speculation regarding its religious hat origin.

I'm not orthodox and don't need to look more Jewish than my heritage says I am, not that I'm at all ashamed of that, so I wanted to give this Borsa a new, more classic Homburg shape. The after photos hopefully show how my attempts turned out.

I forgot to take photos of me with the hat in its flat brim state, but hope the brim change from flat to curl can be seen.
4cd1d7a191897639625b2e727063db85.jpg
b46a4dd6178f289bb74f77b47d4128b5.jpg
985ad0036b857b9c5db3591c91a42772.jpg
38b95460c37b52c65a48b2f0d6ea45b4.jpg
a97b953e6a40c0ad3c39fac06c10f90f.jpg
25db8c994c8acda11b868b290b1cd393.jpg
1bb84484079adcf3ab405f34452b6167.jpg
c7542a9900d48b6cbd80004d4131b208.jpg
529d28faa704bbdc5452e981401079e1.jpg
08712f81200a265ab66a071632d27547.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Air Wing Marine

One of the Regulars
Is anyone familiar with hats.com? They have Borsalino hats at competitive prices. One hat in particular: "Qualita Superiore Fur Felt Fedora 114561" seems noteworthy at $177.50. Is it legit and is the hat worth it?

Thanks to Terry's and Daniel's posts about a Fedora Borsalino, I've been encouraged to look afresh at a Borsalino Homburg I bought a couple of years or so ago.

The brim was very flat and wide (7cm) and the crown quite high at 15cm, which led me to speculate that it was a Borsalino made for my brethren in the Orthodox Jewish Community.

I'm still not sure about this, perhaps the brim just went floppy due to storage issues, but the "before" photos posted below will either confirm or deny my speculation regarding its religious hat origin.

I'm not orthodox and don't need to look more Jewish than my heritage says I am, not that I'm at all ashamed of that, so I wanted to give this Borsa a new, more classic Homburg shape. The after photos hopefully show how my attempts turned out.

I forgot to take photos of me with the hat in its flat brim state, but hope the brim change from flat to curl can be seen.
4cd1d7a191897639625b2e727063db85.jpg
b46a4dd6178f289bb74f77b47d4128b5.jpg
985ad0036b857b9c5db3591c91a42772.jpg
38b95460c37b52c65a48b2f0d6ea45b4.jpg
a97b953e6a40c0ad3c39fac06c10f90f.jpg
25db8c994c8acda11b868b290b1cd393.jpg
1bb84484079adcf3ab405f34452b6167.jpg
c7542a9900d48b6cbd80004d4131b208.jpg
529d28faa704bbdc5452e981401079e1.jpg
08712f81200a265ab66a071632d27547.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think it looks good both ways. I’m lowering the bumpers on my Stetson Bat Masterson “homburg” because it had too much curve for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This may have been mentioned and I missed it but what about a kettle curl? You get to keep the brim but shorten the visual and give it fedora bash.

It was made in 1976 so from the original Borsalino factory. It's an American market Borsalino. I can't see the brim edge clearly. It's a high quality hat. You need to steam and brush it back into form.

Air Wing Marine

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the favorable report. I spent $60 on it. No stains,odors, moth damage. It's very soft and malleable. I have a Rowenta steamer. Any tips on steaming and creasing would be most appreciated. I'm a straw guy and this is my first foray into felt.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust