Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

eli104

New in Town
The ribbon is almost certainly rayon - which is a cellulose fiber in common use since the early 20th century as a silk substitute. Virtually all hat ribbons that you will find in the vintage market have rayon ribbons. It has much of the look and feel of silk, but not the durability. It will be very difficult to clean. Fortunately, vintage rayon ribbon is not hard to come by and many custom hatters have some in their inventory of supplies. Art Fawcett and Bob Jessee (Black Sheep Hat Works) would be able to replace this ribbon for you losing very little in the translation.

Waititng for a response from Black Sheep (sent email and voice mail yesterday). Carouselvic does not have the color/width I need (my ribbon is only 1.5" wide, he has 2" or wider).

Meanwhile, the ribbon came back from the dry cleaners and though they were able to get MOST of the oil stains out, there's a slight discoloration from the original cleaning attempt, AND the ribbon has been "falttened" a bit in the dry cleaning process. I will likely take it back to Delmonico to have it re-attached to the hat... but if I can find a NEW one to match, I would be happier still to have them remove and re-attach a replacement in perfect condition at a later date (and make sure that the restaurant pays for that as well).

The color/style marking from the hat is attached. ANY ADVICE on who else I can contact to find a match to this ribbon would be greatly appreciated! This is now more a labor of history, since the hat was pristene for so many years, and one clumsy waiter has now diminished that significantly.
IMG_6528.JPG

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The second of my Borsalinos (which also happens to be the Hat I'm Wearing Today):

CAM00366.jpg CAM00365.jpg CAM00364.jpg CAM00363.jpg

Purchased a year or two back from a Lounger, this hat has a story with it. Apparently it dates to before WWII. The haberdasher or hatter in Sofia, Bulgaria, closed up his shop and took off before the Germans rolled in. His stash of unworn hats was found recently (within the last 10 years?), and items from it have been appearing for sale here and elsewhere. I dunno if that's all true, though the hat certainly has those Thirties proportions of tall, straight (or reverse taper) crown and shortish brim.

It's fun to wear, and the pics somehow make it look even more imposing.

Last edited:

eli104

New in Town
Try Etsy. These guys have a decent selection. There are more. Search for "Vintage grosgrain ribbon."

Wow! There's are three that are close, and at least one on there that looks nearly perfect (can't tell for the lighting). Thanks!! I'll shoot them a note and see if they can match the color number. But for less than $5.00 a yard, I may get all of them and see what comes up!

Wow! There's are three that are close, and at least one on there that looks nearly perfect (can't tell for the lighting). Thanks!! I'll shoot them a note and see if they can match the color number. But for less than $5.00 a yard, I may get all of them and see what comes up!

There you go! They are also great to work with and pretty darn fast on delivery. The last I ordered on 12/23, it was shipped on the 24th, and I had it in my hands on the 28th. By the evening of Jan 3, it was on a hat.

RJR

Hard to go wrong having the choices.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
. . .
Meanwhile, the ribbon came back from the dry cleaners and though they were able to get MOST of the oil stains out, there's a slight discoloration from the original cleaning attempt, AND the ribbon has been "falttened" a bit in the dry cleaning process. I will likely take it back to Delmonico to have it re-attached to the hat... but if I can find a NEW one to match, I would be happier still to have them remove and re-attach a replacement in perfect condition at a later date (and make sure that the restaurant pays for that as well).

. . . This is now more a labor of history, since the hat was pristene for so many years, and one clumsy waiter has now diminished that significantly. View attachment 41712

I know that I'm a bit late to this party, but at this point I would soak the ribbon in a jar of VM&P Naphtha (or Coleman White Gas) for a day to try to get rid of the remaining stain.

And while I am disappointed for you that the pristine nature of the hat has diminished, you can choose to look at this as part of the hat's continuing history.

eli104

New in Town
Yeah, it's probably going to be history. The hat has shipped to New York where one of three things will happen. Either the hatter will find a vintage ribbon to replace it, find a current ribbon to match, or simply see the original ribbon back and I'll just live with the faded area as you say, as history.

- eli104

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe