Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:
TanBorsoOutdoors.jpg

Tanborsooutdoors2.jpg

Sure thing, Garrett! Anything for my chief enabler ;)

BTW- It would be a very snug 7. A tissue folded in two between the sweat and the body made it a perfect fit for my 6 7/8 l.o. noggin.

Sue

Sue, that's a beauty! looks almost white! I always wanted a white hat. Douglas owns a white Knox Vagabond that I basically drool over. I think he said he bought it at a flea market and it's not his size. I asked my grandma to pray a couple of "novenas" to make him sell it to me!lol lol :p

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino Fan said:
I have several Borsalino's ..some were my Dad's, practically new in the box and never worn. I need to have one of the "cords" .(with the button)..replaced as it has become slack. Does anyone know where there is store who will do this? Also..does anyone have a really nice used Borsalino straw for sale? Last question..once when one would buy a hat, the store would stamp the buyer's initials in the leather band, in gold. Does anybody know whi still does this? I'm planning to move from the USA to Italy so perhaps these services are more readily found there. There doesn't seem to be much of anything of quality left in the U.S.A. Thanks for any help!!

position cord as in 1st photo...then slide button to rear...and Bobs your uncle.

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Borsalino Straw

Thank you very much for the help. By the way, I spend most of my time now in Italy and have visited the Borsalino Museum in the old factory in Alessandria..It's fascinating. Sadly the company is no longer in the hands of the same family.

Aureliano said:
I've had that problem with some of the wind cords/trolleys of my hats. Playing with them I "discovered" that sometimes the little piece at the end of the button (a small metallic thing) can be moved either close to the button or far from it. That tightens the cord. You may want to try that. As for replacing it, Optimo hats in Chicago www.optimohats.com
Art Fawcett in Oregon www.vintagesilhouettes.com or Orlando Palacios www.hatshop.com in New York will replace the thing for you. I know Orlando does the gold lettering too, he's done that for me. I bet the other two haberdashers do it as well. As for quality service there are still a few in the USA, the three I just mentioned are some of the best. There is also Gary White in Buffalo, come to think of it and I'm sure somebody else will post the ones I'm missing right now. Oh, Mike Moore at Buckaroo hatters as well!...
I suggest you should put an add in the classifieds section "Old Borsalino straw wanted" Once I wanted a Stetson Whippet and posted an add, it too a little while but it was worth it. A fellow lounger sold me a gorgeous one.
be well,

club30s

New in Town
hi guys

I recently got this Borsalino Trionfo in light silver color. This is my first Trionfo and I must confess it feels sort of strange to hold and touch. It is almost like paper light and felt is just new to my touch.

For those of you who own Trionfo's what do the normally feel and behave like? I mean light weight, medium or heavy and floppy or rigid?

Here are some pictures

pic2l.jpg

pic5z.jpg

pic6y.jpg

pic9e.jpg

pic8p.jpg

Guys how old would you say this is based on the tags and numbers? It says Antica Casa on sweatand and "Simeon Zlateff Sofia" Rue Alabinska 31

help me figure out its age. Plus are they foldable or crushable?
thanks

rlk

I'll Lock Up
club30s said:
hi guys

I recently got this Borsalino Trionfo in light silver color. This is my first Trionfo and I must confess it feels sort of strange to hold and touch. It is almost like paper light and felt is just new to my touch.

For those of you who own Trionfo's what do the normally feel and behave like? I mean light weight, medium or heavy and floppy or rigid?

Here are some pictures

Guys how old would you say this is based on the tags and numbers? It says Antica Casa on sweatand and "Simeon Zlateff Sofia" Rue Alabinska 31

thanks

The Trionfo's are varied in felt weight and consistency. The hats from Simeon Zlateff supposedly date to just before WWII(Almost all the Borsalinos have had numbers beginning 38...Not necessarily the year but probably from nearly the same year of production). Like any hat they are crushable and foldable but I would only do it if you are unconcerned with the consequences.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
the little tag in your Borsalino Trionfo says is treated with EULAN for moth resistance/repellance...wow, never seen that before... I own a trionfo, light but not much, very soft and pliable. One of my favorites.

rlk

I'll Lock Up

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
club30s said:
hi guys

Here are some pictures

pic2l.jpg

thanks

When I saw how cheap that hat went for, I almost cried - in my opinion, that's a real beauty. Very nice purchase!

If you decide you need to part with it, please give me a holler - I might have trade-bait.

club30s

New in Town
ScottF said:
When I saw how cheap that hat went for, I almost cried - in my opinion, that's a real beauty. Very nice purchase!

If you decide you need to part with it, please give me a holler - I might have trade-bait.

actually it fits more like a punti 6 or US 7 3/8. I wear 7 1/2 and was stunned to see how big of a 5 1/2 punti it was. Clearly wrong sized and much to my delight bigger than I expected.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
club30s said:
actually it fits more like a punti 6 or US 7 3/8. I wear 7 1/2 and was stunned to see how big of a 5 1/2 punti it was. Clearly wrong sized and much to my delight bigger than I expected.

I'm glad that worked out for you - that's a great summer hat. With Borso sizes, I've found that just the opposite is normally the case - they have been almost a size smaller than tagged. Also, I've seen several instances where the tag hanging out had a different size than the tag glued to the inside felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82