Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I think Besdor told us that a cloth size tag and a sewn liner were signs that they were "pre-move" Borsalinos. But I guess that's it.

Baron, would you think that my Allesandro with its 2 3/8" brim and $35 price tag is probably from the early 1960s?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
Thank you Herr Baron

What is the name of the picture book to which you refer? E

I think he's referring to this:
boh-mens-hats.jpg

It's one of the cheapest and, while one of the very few books that has any information on Borsalino, least worthwhile books I own.
-But for $2, it's also one of the cheapest.

Here's a thread on hat books. I'm with the consensus that there are no better, more informative works on felt and hats than those by Debbie Henderson, which you can buy directly from her.

Yes, that the one, Lefty. A very cheap book. Nice pictures, though.

kaosharper1, personaly i would have been thinking a little earlier on that hat (1950s), but without having it in my hands i would hate to be coclusive. The brim seems a little wide for 1960s. A shot of the liner might help.

bk

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
kaosharper1, personaly i would have been thinking a little earlier on that hat (1950s), but without having it in my hands i would hate to be coclusive. The brim seems a little wide for 1960s. A shot of the liner might help.

bk

Baron, here's the ebay link which has a picture of the liner. Its the gold on white logo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140286863899&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Any insight or speculation would be appreciated!

I've always dated those hats to the early 50s. More vibe than anything else. I have no solid evidence. The corrugated part at the front of the sweatband is a good indicator, in my exeprience. I haven't seen one older than late 50s with that feature … *

bk

*always with the caveat that this is my opinion, based upon my own experience, only.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Esteemed Brothers

I'm not sure if the Brotherhood area is the proper place to post this question. And I apologize if it isn't. I'm still learning the ropes here ...

Did Borsalino ever produce half metric or quarter Punti sizes? For example 57.5 58.5 and so on? or 5.25 5.75 and so? If so, during what period?

Thanks ~ Eric

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
I've always dated those hats to the early 50s. More vibe than anything else. I have no solid evidence. The corrugated part at the front of the sweatband is a good indicator, in my exeprience. I haven't seen one older than late 50s with that feature … *

bk

*always with the caveat that this is my opinion, based upon my own experience, only.

Thanks, Baron. I appreciate that.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the theatre?

$46.00 on Ebay day before yesterday. I decided to post it here since the ebay thread is too busy with "me, Me, ME" posts for acknowledgement much less discussion.
143b_3.JPG
1fe9_3.JPG

mineral

One of the Regulars
zetwal said:
Esteemed Brothers

I'm not sure if the Brotherhood area is the proper place to post this question. And I apologize if it isn't. I'm still learning the ropes here ...

Did Borsalino ever produce half metric or quarter Punti sizes? For example 57.5 58.5 and so on? or 5.25 5.75 and so? If so, during what period?

Thanks ~ Eric

Eric, your question is much more difficult to answer in the negative than in the affirmative, although I will stick my neck out and say that I have never seen it despite seeing multiple pictures of the hats on this forum or on eBay or handling them in person. I think it would probably take someone who was involved in ordering the hats for retailers back in the day to definitively give you an answer (especially, in the case of the negative), but based on what I know I don't think you would find any, if at all.

Are you in possession of one right now? If you do, would you mind sharing the other details you have about the hat?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino Hood

carter said:
$46.00 on Ebay day before yesterday. I decided to post it here since the ebay thread is too busy with "me, Me, ME" posts for acknowledgement much less discussion.
143b_3.JPG
1fe9_3.JPG

Is that punti 5? Maybe you could do an Al Ojeda and get Jimmy to work it up to a 61?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
No I myself don't have one. Does anyone else? It came up in conversation with an elderly gentleman who said that his father used to be able to get Italian hats that way. At first I thought he could be talking about custom made hats but he seemed to think that you could just order them like any other. He seemed pretty sure that they were Borsalinos as well. I thought that was interesting and wanted to ask here if anyone else had heard or seen such a thing. E

barrowjh

One Too Many
Cobalta Borsalino

I won this a couple of weeks ago by luck; I just happened to be cruising the listings when this one was posted with only a $70 buy-it-now. It is a 7 1/8th with 2 1/2in brim w/felted edge. Based on Baron Kurtz comments about reeding at the forehead, I suspect this hat is 1950's vintage, but if one of you can place it further back than that, please help me out.
122108005.jpg

122108004.jpg

122108002.jpg

I am stunned by the quality/condition of this hat; it was truly well cared for by all of its previous owners (and I shall do my best to do the same). The seller's photos are still active on the listing as of the date I posted this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370128162616
It is hard not to wear this hat every day; it is my finest vintage hat.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Holy Smoke, John -- that is just absolutely stunning. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Man, that color is just amazing, and the condition looks to be absolutely pristine. Congrats!

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
carter said:

Neat find, Carter. I would love to know more about the Borsalino pocket hats. Was there a particular time period during which they were manufactured? I assume that the idea behind these is that they are perfect travel hats, yes? I'd love to see photos of what these lids look like after they are on someone's noggin.

Cheers,
JtL

barrowjh

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz - Yes, I think cobalta meant cobalt, and it seems to be a Navy blue, but in answer to Rusty's question, I want to see it next to one of Winchester's Navy blue hat bodies just to see the difference (if any at all). I suspect there is none (or very little difference), but sometimes you just do not know until you see several 'Navy' blue items side-by-side, and then discover there are many shades of 'navy.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe