Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

lareine

A-List Customer
I'm in Christchurch and can verify that it is really scary. My husband is overseas at the moment so I've been home alone, and waking alone to find the whole house shaking and rumbling is very frightening indeed. Luckily we had no structural damage here and didn't even lose our power or water, but many are not so lucky. The city centre is a mess, and some of the suburbs and outlying towns have been very badly hit.

We've had strong tremors and aftershocks all day and are warned to expect another big quake sometime in the next 24 hours. The suspense is horrible and the aftershocks are really unpleasant. I just want this to be over :(

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Good to hear that you and your property are OK Lareine.

The pictures on the news have been very saddening.

Kia kaha.

lareine

A-List Customer
I saw some of the damage first-hand today when I was going to the airport to collect my husband. It seems so random -- there was no pattern to any of the destruction, or obvious reason why some things fell and some things stood. Many fallen chimney stacks and garden walls, lots of roof damage from things falling through them, and some roads too ripped up to drive over.

My office building (a significant heritage building, built in 1935 in a style considered very modern for its time) is unsafe for use and I've heard it is to be demolished. By sheer good luck most staff are already in the process of moving to a different building and most of our computers and furniture was already out. We have all been given this week off work while the new building is made safe and ready for the remaining staff moving in sooner than they were expected.

Bye bye old building, with your first escalator in the South Island and your badminton courts on the roof :(

Edit: The old building may stay standing! It is not very safe to enter but neither does it have a demolition order. This makes me very happy indeed.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Tragic to hear the old Repertory Theatre has taken a pasting as well.

Your old workplace is actually an important part of NZ's Art Deco architectural history. Bloody shame if they have to bowl it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Puzzicato said:
I had no idea that earthquakes were common in New Zealand! I'm really pleased your family are all OK Smithy.

Thanks Puzzicato.

We get a lot back home, apparently 14,000 a year! Of which around 150 can be felt.

I've been in quite a few but nothing bigger than about 5 and a half or so. 7 like which hit Christchurch is a serious shake.

I can remember my wife (not long after I met her) getting hugely irate when I hadn't woken her when a small earthquake hit. She's from Norway and had never been in one. I didn't even think of waking her because I hadn't even thought much about it. She's felt a few now having lived in NZ for six years all up!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
"Its all most awful, thankfully no-one lost their lives, but such lovely buildings lost, hopefully they will do the right thing and re-build, all the original plans would be held in archives , so there is absolutely no excuse, not to do so"

I hope they do Binkie.

I'd imagine some of the more problematic and expensive will be the English style stone buildings but I hope the Council and government do the right thing and repair rather than knock things down if it's feasible.

lareine

A-List Customer
I can tell you they are making every effort to salvage those old stone buildings. Although the rebuilding itself will take months or years, right now they are bolstering walls and safely removing old chimneys and brickwork that can be restored later.

The problem right now seems to be a lack of suitably skilled manpower (plumbers, electricians, brickies, structural engineers, etc.) to assess the damage and safely contain or repair it, and of course the future problem will be finding the money to rebuild. New Zealand is a small country, less than 4.5 million people. How can we find the estimated NZ$2billion to make things right? And how much should the rest of the country have to shoulder the burden of restoring one city and its surroundings?

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
We can all get some sleep now

Did anyone see the press conference with Tony Windsor & Rob Oakshott announcing their support of the Labor Party to form Government? Looks like the real winner of the Federal election is Regional Australia. Think I'll move to Mudgee, no wait, Orange the wineries are better there.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
lolly_loisides said:
Did anyone see the press conference with Tony Windsor & Rob Oakshott announcing their support of the Labor Party to form Government? Looks like the real winner of the Federal election is Regional Australia. Think I'll move to Mudgee, no wait, Orange the wineries are better there.

I thought Oakeshott would never shut up. What a bloody show boat, he just needed to get up there and say his piece, instead we're subjected to a 20 minute diatribe which resembled an Oscar acceptance speech.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
A very large earthquake (over 7) hit Christchurch this morning and has done huge damage to the Garden City.

All my immediate family live in Christchurch and all are amazingly OK but very shaken. Kiwis are used to earthquakes as they are a fact off life but this was very big. My sister said that it lasted about 45 seconds and they thought the house was going to fall. Luckily they have no severe damage but no power. There have (and are continuing to be) big aftershocks as well.

I'd ask that all Kiwis and Aussies spare a thought for those in and around Christchurch who are affected.

And added to that there's been a plane crash on the Fox Glacier. The poor old South Island is really copping it today.

Only heard about this in UK the other day - happy your - and everybody elses - family is OK.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't been on the Lounge awhile, my Mum took ill three weeks ago and passed away after nine harrowing days in hospital. It was devastating for all of us in the family.

Thank God no one was killed in Christchurch. Stoked to hear your family's okay Smithy.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
I haven't been on the Lounge awhile, my Mum took ill three weeks ago and passed away after nine harrowing days in hospital. It was devastating for all of us in the family.

Thank God no one was killed in Christchurch. Stoked to hear your family's okay Smithy.

I am so very sorry for you Wes. That is really rough. Take care.

LordBest

Practically Family
I thought it reasonable enough under the circumstances, wanting to detail the process behind his/their decision to try and stave off some of the criticism and recriminations which will flow from people who disagree with their decision. It was rather tedious though, I admit.

Smithy said:
I thought Oakeshott would never shut up. What a bloody show boat, he just needed to get up there and say his piece, instead we're subjected to a 20 minute diatribe which resembled an Oscar acceptance speech.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
lolly_loisides said:

Food is better in Orange, but I prefer the Mudgee wines!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe