Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Miss Sis said:
Smithy, that is so true! I always say Winters in NZ felt waaaaay colder than anything I've had in the last 11 years in England - including our pretty chilly last Winter where we got a fair bit of snow.

I grew up in a house surrounded by bush, with only our Living room heated, and it was cold. As you say, it's the damp that makes it feel so darned chilly.

I say this from a very warm English Summer evening! ;)

Miss Sis, pleased to hear that you're getting some fair weather after all that snow a few months back. Just you make sure that Ben takes you for lots of picnics!

lareine

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
That's so true Puzzicato. I have lived in Norway twice (and the first time was inside the Arctic Circle in northern Norway) and I have to say I have "felt" colder down this way and especially in NZ. It's the dampness which hits, lack of central heating, and especially proper insulation in houses.
So true about NZ houses. We moved here from Ireland in 2007, so I know what a cool wet climate is like, and I also lived in Massachusetts for a while before that so I know what proper cold weather is like. New Zealand is not "proper cold" but the houses here are the most miserable, cold, damp homes that I've ever been in. I think most of them are just as they would have been built 100 or more years ago! Even new houses mostly don't have what I consider to be adequate heating or insulation.

I don't know how it became acceptable in modern times to live somewhere with only one source of heat for a whole house, and no insulation anywhere. *brrr*

If I dressed vintage this would really cause problems. Who wants to take off their jeans and hoodie when they can feel cold damp air on their skin indoors? :rolleyes:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Miss Sis, pleased to hear that you're getting some fair weather after all that snow a few months back. Just you make sure that Ben takes you for lots of picnics!

We have been on a picnic of sorts today, plus we have lots of new garden furniture, so I'll certainly take your advice, Smithy. :)

lareine said:
If I dressed vintage this would really cause problems. Who wants to take off their jeans and hoodie when they can feel cold damp air on their skin indoors? :rolleyes:

Lareine, if you dress British Vintage style, you'll be fine. They didn't invent tweed for nothing! We went to an event in a hotel in Winter and everyone was far too hot. We asked them to turn the heating OFF, but they only turned it down. Scardy cats.

But it is very true that NZ houses are not well heated or properly insulated. I don't think I ever want to go back in Winter. I used to absolutely hate Winter with a passion.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Brrrr from cold NZ!!

Yes guys, I know its cold, but there is something exciting about Wellington winters!
Hmmmmm... maybe I am just trying to convince myself.
I am living in a little 1940's wood house in windy Ngaio. Even the insulation under the house doesnt cut it, and my vintage electric heater that I move from room to room only ever takes the edge off.
But thats ok, I love this place!

James71

A-List Customer
Claire, I know exactly what you mean. There are atmospheric advantages to living in an old home that I believe outweigh the negatives. My house is like those described above.... its 100 years old and is heated by a fireplace in the loungeroom.

There is something intrinsic about being in touch with the seasons and not living in at atmospherically controlled space. I can tell its winter because its cold.

But then... I love the winter. I get to wear cool clothes and assuage my pyromania by having a fire right there in the loungeroom to poke at. :rage:

swinggal

One Too Many
Hi all,

Thought I might mention a couple of my Aussie Facebook groups regarding history. The 'Beautiful buildings and cool places Perth has lost - a photo history' has nearly 7000 members now, got me a few radio spots and magazine interviews. Crazy! Now everyone want me to write a book!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129206433137&ref=ts

The second I recently began - basically about 'old Australia' in regard to design, photography, old ads, magazines etc because I love history and wanted younger Aussies so see what Australia was like in the past. Take a squizz and say hi!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110732392308273&ref=ts

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
OK, had to happen. An important question for all Antipodeans here...

Which is tops?

Vegemite
Marmite (NZ)
Our Mate (British Marmite)
Promite
iSnack 2.0 or whatever it's called now :eusa_doh:

We always had Vegemite in the house growing up but I grew into Kiwi Marmite.

I'll have to say now Kiwi Marmite followed by Vegemite for a very close second. Can't stand that British Marmite, Our Mate stuff, a very sad approximation of what we make down this way.

miss_elise

Practically Family
vegemite!!!! It's also the lowest sugar content of the bunch I believe

"Marmite but Parwill."

"I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich."

lareine

A-List Customer
I really like iSnack2.0! Although I found out the hard way that it goes off quite quickly. I came home after a night in the pub and wondered why my toast tasted lke vinegar. Sniffed the jar the next morning and had that question answered very quickly!

Having said that, Bovril is my favourite of the black spreads. Don't know if it's available here though -- I haven't looked for it in a long time. I only bought iSnack2.0 for the novelty value.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
lareine said:
I really like iSnack2.0! Although I found out the hard way that it goes off quite quickly. I came home after a night in the pub and wondered why my toast tasted lke vinegar. Sniffed the jar the next morning and had that question answered very quickly!

Having said that, Bovril is my favourite of the black spreads. Don't know if it's available here though -- I haven't looked for it in a long time. I only bought iSnack2.0 for the novelty value.

My husband believes in bovril on toast too - which is totally weird, because bovril is a drink (IMO, YMMV, etc).

For me it is vegemite, and what's more it has to be fresh. The vegemite that has been sitting on the shelf at the Australian shop for 2 years doesn't taste nearly so good as the vegemite that friends bring over for me!

Marmite is a reasonable substitution. Promite is horrible.

LordBest

Practically Family
Vegemite on and in things, Bovril as a drink. Which reminds me, I must pop in to that British produce shop off Collins Street to get more Bovril (and black pudding). Come to think of it, has anyone ever dissolved Vegemite into hot water as a drink? I might try it, see how it stands up against Bovril.
I can't stand Isnack2.0, to me it tasted like vegemite mixed with cream cheese. If I wanted vegemite mixed with cream cheese, I would mix my vegemite with cream cheese. But to each their own.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
LordBest said:
that British produce shop off Collins Street to get more Bovril (and black pudding)

I go in there about once a month or so for Golden Shred marmalade, jaffa cakes, prawn cocktail chips and Horlicks.

And James71, you are probably right the question was loaded from a Kiwi perspective :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Guilty pleasure...I like those cheese and vegemite scroll thingies from Baker's Delight.

I'd imagine the Aussies did this as well, remember vegemite and chip sandwiches from when you were a nipper? There were always school arguments about what type of chip but chicken was popular. Haven't had one for probably about 25 years!

swinggal

One Too Many
YUM! Terrible hey. I actually did it the other week. Went out and bought some some sour chream and chives chips and had them in a fresh bread sanger...mmm, the texture, the crunchiness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe