Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Speaking of ebay, the expression "gangster" to describe a suit annoys the ___ out of me. Now THAT is an annoying expression. Combine with "killer gangster" and you have a most annoying phrase.

Feraud

Bartender
Carlisle Blues said:
Costume Malfunction..........I hear this I cringe... Maybe my zipper got stuck or I popped a button. I do not walk around saying I had a Costume Malfunction.
Now this is an example of media spin gone wrong! lol

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My friends and I have taken to using "hope that helps" but only for blatantly unhelpful or downright horrible things to say to each other, it amuses us because we're bad people.

"I don't know where I'm going in life!"

"I don't know, either, but I always imagined that in the end it would involve the phrase 'deadly shootout' - hope that helps!"

It's not the sort of thing that should be said seriously.

Dr Doran

Viola said:
My friends and I have taken to using "hope that helps" but only for blatantly unhelpful or downright horrible things to say to each other, it amuses us because we're bad people.

"I don't know where I'm going in life!"

"I don't know, either, but I always imagined that in the end it would involve the phrase 'deadly shootout' - hope that helps!"

It's not the sort of thing that should be said seriously.

That's pretty funny! And evil. I like it.

AtomicEraTom said:
It's not really a phrase, but when people have to always be saying things with an upward inflection; that drives me crazy! Not everything is a question.

Women from Autralia tend to do this a lot? (I am actually making a statement but used the question mark to indicate the question like rise in inflection.)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Not exactly a phrase, but I find the constant pleas for blood donation annoying. Yes, blood and plasma are needed, but the restrictions have become so, well, restrictive, that it's irritating to be urged, cajoled, bribed with free t-shirts, made to feel guilty, etc. and then be turned away for having lived, twenty years ago, in a country that's had a handful of mad cow disease cases.
When you look at the extensive questionnaire to be completed prior to donation, it's shocking anyone still qualifies.
It's time for the blood institutes to reword their appeals, I think. Instead of presuming that all of us non-donors are being stingy with our life-saving fluids, how about owning up to the fact that they don't want us?

Dr Doran

AtomicEraTom said:
It's not really a phrase, but when people have to always be saying things with an upward inflection; that drives me crazy! Not everything is a question.

the worst! In his book I Am Charlotte Simmons, Tom Wolfe ridicules this trend hilariously.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe