Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
This one is not so annoying, it's more used in beauty and make up talk .It sounds weird, very weird to me.

When they say for example " It makes my eyes pop out" _ This eyeshadow makes my eyes pop out.

Eyes pop out? Sure. Whatever. [huh]

I know what you mean it happens to me when I wear this hat...

a99_feldman.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Slim Portly said:
"You guys," meaning any group of human beings, regardless of gender.

Potential employee, referring to my company: "Are you guys hiring?"

Waiter, approaching the table occupied by my lovely date and myself: "Are you guys ready to order?"

I have a private campaign in my classroom to eradicate that expression when used in any way with females. And any waiter approaching you and your lovely date with the phrase, "Are you guys ready to order?" should be asked, "Does my date look like a man?" ("And you better answer correctly!" :mad: )

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It isn't twice as warm

Sometimes radio DJs will say this time of year, "It's twice as warm as it was yesterday," e.g., it was five degrees yesterday and it's ten degrees today. Measuring from absolute zero (the temperature at which all motion in matter stops), it was 465 degrees Rankine yesterday and it's 470 degrees Rankine today.

Dr Doran

Paisley said:
Sometimes radio DJs will say this time of year, "It's twice as warm as it was yesterday," e.g., it was five degrees yesterday and it's ten degrees today. Measuring from absolute zero (the temperature at which all motion in matter stops), it was 465 degrees Rankine yesterday and it's 470 degrees Rankine today.

Oh dear.

Paisley said:

They don't understand the difference between temperature and degrees I guess. ;)
Are they going to send you a free gift as well? ;) :p

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
AtomicEraTom said:
Whenever I tell my sister a story of a negative sort of caliber, she simply replies with "That's Unfortunate" and it just drives me bonkers!!!

Hey, that's what siblings are for. My brother can push my buttons relentlessly until I'm about to burst, and then say "I'm very concerned about your blood pressure, Laura, you really need to control your anger!"

On the subject of unfortunate stories, I hate when people start miming the violin. The worst is when people rub their thumb and index finger together and say "This is the world's smallest violin." No it isn't, you're just being annoying! :mad:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
C-dot said:
On the subject of unfortunate stories, I hate when people start miming the violin. The worst is when people rub their thumb and index finger together and say "This is the world's smallest violin." No it isn't, you're just being annoying! :mad:

It was worse in the 1980s, when people would say "Pity party for [insert your name here]!"

Dr Doran

C-dot said:
I hate when people start miming the violin. The worst is when people rub their thumb and index finger together and say "This is the world's smallest violin." No it isn't, you're just being annoying! :mad:

That is a truly annoying expression/gesture. The funny thing is, I remember back when it was fresh and new (to me, at least): 1988. Now, 21 years later, it's stale and dumb.

Reminds me of the following thing, which when I first saw it I thought was utterly hilarious for about a year:
Person A says something to person B. Person B does not look at person A but puts his/her hand up as though blocking Person A and says "Talk to the hand, because the face don't care."
Now, it's no longer fresh or funny. I believe I saw it in 1992 or so, after my brother had seen it from a black child in Portland. It didn't make its way to the Bay Area of northern California for years.

Some of (well, a lot of) the expressions (or gestures) listed on this thread were really fresh and funny once. Now they are dried, cracked, and stale.

Doran said:
Some of (well, a lot of) the expressions (or gestures) listed on this thread were really fresh and funny once. Now they are dried, cracked, and stale.

I am pretty sure which expression and related gesture I am tired of seeing and hearing on TV and on the street nowadays. Geez, can't they think of something else to say where every fourth or fifth work does not begin with a f or a s? Inverted Garbage can head---Open mouth and garbage comes out. :rolleyes:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
I am pretty sure which expression and related gesture I am tired of seeing and hearing on TV and on the street nowadays. Geez, can't they think of something else to say where every fourth or fifth work does not begin with a f or a s? Inverted Garbage can head---Open mouth and garbage comes out. :rolleyes:

I'm tired of seeing "WTF" written all over cyberspace.

Carlisle Blues

jamespowers said:

This behavior speaks to Pre Code mores. Quite frankly, those actions on the street are a mirror image of what is now a societal norm.shakeshead

Marc Chevalier said:

I can include POS with that one. I am also tired of comics who aren't funny and have to resort to profanity to get a laugh. Hope and Burns were often quick to point out that if you can't say the same thing without profanity then you are just not making your audience think and going for the easy laugh---in other words, any idiot can do it. :rolleyes:

My sis is good at that. Her twin brother isn't so bad. She likes to talk about 'hot guys' around me, which makes me cringe. I swear if I hear the words Luke Bryan again I'm going to start swinging. And when she says OMG in conversation it's like nails on a chalkboard as well.

C-dot said:
Hey, that's what siblings are for. My brother can push my buttons relentlessly until I'm about to burst, and then say "I'm very concerned about your blood pressure, Laura, you really need to control your anger!"

Talbot

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:

Haha. I was reading a thread the other day where someone had written NTTAWWT (its a pleasure to see the english language used so well).

It took me ages to figure out what the heck they meant, and I'm still not certain.

Good news is I don't care any more...

Talbot

Talbot said:
Haha. I was reading a thread the other day where someone had written NTTAWWT (its a pleasure to see the english language used so well).

It took me ages to figure out what the heck they meant, and I'm still not certain.

Good news is I don't care any more...

Talbot

Looks like a mongrel word to me. We don't have to understand mongrel words just disdain them. ;) :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe