Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
You have hit on one of my pet peeves. Students should not call teachers by their first names but nowadays there are teachers who encourage this! :eusa_doh:

In Chile, all preschool teachers are female, and schoolchildren call them "Tia [surname]" rather than "Señora/Señorita". "Tia" means "Aunt" in Spanish, but it's also used as a respectful term of endearment for any (older) female non-family member who is "like family".

Chilean children wear uniforms in preschool: blue cotton smocks for girls and tan cotton "lab coats" for boys. Both sexes wear white dress shirts and neckties (no clip-ons allowed).

Marc Chevalier said:
In Chile, all preschool teachers are female, and schoolchildren call them "Tia [surname]" rather than "Señora/Señorita". "Tia" means "Aunt" in Spanish, but it's also used as a respectful term of endearment for any female non-family member who is "like family".

Chilean children wear uniforms in preschool: blue cotton smocks for girls and tan cotton "lab coats" for boys. Both sexes wear white dress shirts and neckties (no clip-ons allowed).

Sounds like a decent amount of respect to me.
Uniforms would be nice as well. I send my son to school everyday with a button down shirt not necessarily white and a decent pair of pants---without holes. A tie might be overdoing it but I am sure he would love it. :D His hat stays at home as well because he is inside more than outside---no hats inside. ;)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
You have hit on one of my pet peeves. Students should not call teachers by their first names but nowadays there are teachers who encourage this! :eusa_doh: My son's preschool teacher wants to be called by her first name. It drives me nuts! Fortunately, her assistant wants to be called Mr. Duke. :D I think their profession brings that upon themselves when they do that. As a parent you are stuck if that is what they want but I can say that he should put a Miss or Mrs. in front of that first name. ;)
Next on the list are children who call adults by their first name. I prefer to be called Mr. as I am not their friend or their peer. :rolleyes: You see so many people wanting to be called by their first name now. I even have been told about parents that their children call them by their first name over mother or father. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: The respect just goes out the window. :mad:

When I teach law it is Professor __________ all the way!!

I was requested to teach a Sociology course. The group was small and the atmosphere was intimate. I used music as the setting for my lessons. It was more beneficial to have the students call me by my first name. It was a college setting and there was never any question regarding authority. The experience was phenomenal.

When I was the music person for my son's playgroup each parent was regarded as Ms.(first name) I was the only father and I was called Mr. (first name).

Now that he is 3 years old and in preschoo, I am regraded as "Christopher's Daddy the Music Man" and the teachers are addressed as Ms. (last name).

Alexi

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I could actually see that if one were to have a cockney accent. ;) :p
A regular American accent might have a bit of a problem pulling it off. :D

a regular american accent? and what pray tell is that?

it is still quite common for yankees to drop their H's just as it is to replace an r with an "ah"

Alexi

One of the Regulars
other sources for an historical
"The New Fowler's Modern English Usage" -Oxford University Press (a US publisher)

"Now, try "the history" and "the historical." A little-known fact about English is that whether a noun begins with a consonant or vowel affects not only the selection of "a" and "an," but also the pronunciation of "the": before a consonant this article is pronounced [thuh] but before a vowel it is pronounced [thee]. If you want to say [thee] before "historical," or if this pronunciation sounds right to you, you are not pronouncing the initial [h] in that word.
Although the sound [h] is disappearing from many dialects of English, it is not dropping out in every word; it is dropping only from those syllables that are unaccented, hence pronounced more lightly. This means that "history" retains its [h] because the syllable it introduces is accented. The accent falls on the second syllable of "historical," so the word AS PRONOUNCED, not as written, begins with a vowel in many dialects. This means that "the" should be pronounced [thee] and "an" is the appropriate indefinite article in those dialects but only those dialects. "A historical" remains preferable in formal English."
from - http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/drgw007.html

from doing random google searches it looks like a historic vs. an historic is a 2 to 1 ratio of use.

also we do say "erbs" here in the north east, a "herb" is an idiot

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Alexi, I tried the vowel/consonant test and I realized something; I don't say "thee" before anything except possibly "thou" and "thine."

I [thuh] unless I'm so exhausted or in such a hurry I start losing the "th" sound for a slurred "duh/da" sound.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
C-dot said:
I abhor "yo". One day, some fresh little punk coming up to me with a huge grin and exclaiming "YO!" will awaken my murderous inner potential.

That's because only posers use "yo" that way. That's not what it's for. [bad]

Dr Doran

Annoying terms:
1. Spooktacular
2. Craptastic
3. "Couple-three" as in "I have a couple-three errands to run, then I'll come over and drink your Glenmorangie."

Dr Doran

Also the hideously annoying "recockulus" as a substitute for "ridiculous." Said only (as far as I know) among female undergraduates at University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. How do these memes spread? How can we kill them? Lysol?

Dr Doran

ThesFlishThngs said:
Fortunately, my ears have never been subjected to 'recockulus', but 'redonkulous' has greatly outworn its welcome with me.

I am happy to say I have never heard that. My ears are yet unsullied by this atrocity to human language. On an anthropological level, however, I am pleased that you told it to me, so that I may have some intimation of the full extent and folly of human beings.

I was at city hall today with my father and there was a fellow there for a criminal act (police station's at city hall) and as we walked out of the PD office, the guy is saying foshizzle to another guy in the waiting room. My dad and I shot eachother "the look" just at the fact of hearing that terrible mess.
Doran said:
Also the hideously annoying "recockulus" as a substitute for "ridiculous." Said only (as far as I know) among female undergraduates at University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. How do these memes spread? How can we kill them? Lysol?

Dr Doran

AtomicEraTom said:
I was at city hall today with my father and there was a fellow there for a criminal act (police station's at city hall) and as we walked out of the PD office, the guy is saying foshizzle to another guy in the waiting room. My dad and I shot eachother "the look" just at the fact of hearing that terrible mess.

I admire the fact that you restrained yourself to only an exchanged glance ... I think that would be hard. Some horrible grimace would no doubt have crossed my face; the "foshizzle" user would have seen and challenged me, making insulting (and cheap) references to my ethnic background; a fight may have ensued. Horrible. Your restraint is commendable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe