Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Akubra Squatter

elvisroe said:
Any tips on how to add a bit more stiffness to old felt?

Here in the US most places that sell cowboy hats has a spray stiffener. Also I have heard if you clean your hat a steam it afterwards the steam will reform the shellac and re-stiffen the hat.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Seb Lucas said:
I've handled one of those hats worn my Kidman in the film. It isn't much like a squatter in real life. It has a much higher crown and a narrower brim - around 68mm and is narrower at the sides. RM Willimas did produce replicas but they never took off.

I'm pretty sure those RM Williams lids were made for them by Akubra and on closer inspection they bore little real resemblance to any in the film. Nice hat, but very much of the modern lower-crown variety.

As for brim-trimming, I rang the Hattery (hats direct) yesterday and the opinion of the guy I spoke to was that here in Oz I'd have to find a milliner to do a custom job for me if I wanted any alterations. Sounds expensive! Looks like it's back to the scissors next time.

He also offered a theory on crown heights - he put the reduction down to the lowering of car roofs in the mid 20thC and the increasing number of vehicles in general.

Makes sense.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
Here in the US most places that sell cowboy hats has a spray stiffener. Also I have heard if you clean your hat a steam it afterwards the steam will reform the shellac and re-stiffen the hat.

Ta John,

I might temporarily suspend my 'Strand Hatters' boycott to pick some up ;)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
elvisroe said:
He also offered a theory on crown heights - he put the reduction down to the lowering of car roofs in the mid 20thC and the increasing number of vehicles in general.

Makes sense.
I'm inclined to agree with this. That would explain the trend for low crowned narrow brimmed hats being popular in the 1960s. A lot more people had cars then than before, so these sorts of hats were simply more practical.

It's not hard to guess why toppers went out of fashion for everyday wear.

Goose.

Practically Family
Ephraim Tutt said:
What colour is that?

Chuck Bobuck said:
Hello, handsome, is that a ten-gallon hat or are you just enjoying the show?
lol ...too funny Goose! Thanks for that walk down memory lane. I saw that movie when it came out and kept taking friends back to see it.
BTW, you're the exception to my Squatter crown theory, looks great on you!
ET, it is Willow Green.

CB, thank you and I am glad I make ya smile :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
elvisroe said:
I'm pretty sure those RM Williams lids were made for them by Akubra and on closer inspection they bore little real resemblance to any in the film. Nice hat, but very much of the modern lower-crown variety.

The RM Williams replica of Kidman's hat is far from having a low crown. It is a huge crown, biggest I've ever seen on an Akubra - almost. And, as I say, virtually the same as the film used versions. I've seen both. Actually if you want a huge crown try the RM Williams "RM" model - yep Akubra make them, who else? It's essentially a larger version of the Campdraft, but pre-bashed. It looks odd unless you have a big head or wide face.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Seb Lucas said:
The RM Williams replica of Kidman's hat is far from having a low crown. It is a huge crown, biggest I've ever seen on an Akubra - almost. And, as I say, virtually the same as the film used versions. I've seen both. Actually if you want a huge crown try the RM Williams "RM" model - yep Akubra make them, who else? It's essentially a larger version of the Campdraft, but pre-bashed. It looks odd unless you have a big head or wide face.

Agreed, the RM looks way too big on my head, as does the campdraft sadly. In fact after looking at the 2 side by side they appear to be virtually the same hat, the latter open crown and the former with RM's distinctive bash.

Interesting what you say about the Australia hat/hats you've seen.

I haven't seen any stocked at either RM store near me for quite a while and they appear to have taken it down from their website - but the one I did see shortly after the film's release was called the "faraway downs" and I looked at it for about 30 seconds after seeing how low and tapered the crown was. Perhaps there were others based on the movie?[huh]

theinterchange

One Too Many
I already posted this in the Akubra Overload thread, but wanted to put it here for those who've shown an interest in Squatters but may not frequent the Overload.

IMG_1397.jpg

I had Mike Moore of Buckaroo Hatters trim down the brim on my Squatter to 2 1/2". I think it turned out fantastic!

Randy

MCrider

A-List Customer
theinterchange said:
I had Mike Moore of Buckaroo Hatters trim down the brim on my Squatter to 2 1/2". I think it turned out fantastic!
Randy

Great job Randy and it couldn't be better timed. This next pay I plan on sending mine off for the same treatment. Even though I love my Squatter, I just can't get used to a 3 1/4 inch brim. At least now I know what the final result will look like!

:eusa_clap

theinterchange

One Too Many
Thanks guys!

gtdean, I thought about having it re-bound, but decided against it, I was wanting a hat that looked similar to one I've seen photos of Sinatra wearing.

MCrider, never got used to that wide of a brim, and the friends and family all agreed that it was a tad large looking on me.

Randy

Great. Stumbled across this thread today, and now I want to get a Squatter. I really like the wider brim, but I'm not sure about the bound brim; I prefer unbound. Also, I've only recently started wearing hats on a regular basis (within the last couple of years), so it's a bit much for me to spend on a hat...but it would be a nice alternative to my Fed IV...Carbon Gray, or Black...what to do, what to do...

:D

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
theinterchange said:

Randy

Looks good, I've thought about doing this myself. Without the binding, how does the brim react as far as shaping and holding the shape?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
It seems to me that these trimmed down Squatters are basically Stylemasters.

Maybe we can get some side by side comparison shots in the future.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:
It seems to me that these trimmed down Squatters are basically Stylemasters.

Maybe we can get some side by side comparison shots in the future.

Could be CRH, or maybe it's now the hat the Stylemaster wishes it could be...:D

Seriuously though, I think the Squatter has an open and little bigger crown to work with. A side to side would be nice though.
I think that's the hat missing from Akubra's lineup. Son of Squatter, or Squatter jr. I really like it. Now where's my scissors. I'd probably take it in to a local western wear and tack shop if I decided to trim it down. They do hat trimming. I think mine would look better if it had a darker ribbon though.

Tone

A-List Customer
Churns out a great 30's look.

:eusa_clap The Squatter looks good in both versions (and all that room in between to do with the brim what one wants, too).

Has a more pleasing vibe to its crown as a 30's fedora than the Stylemaster seems to. Nice job on this hat.

Another good example of the versatility in the traditional wider-brimmed style-it-yourself Akubra models. The "blank canvas" Akubras ;)

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Zombie_61 said:
Great. Stumbled across this thread today, and now I want to get a Squatter. I really like the wider brim, but I'm not sure about the bound brim; I prefer unbound. Also, I've only recently started wearing hats on a regular basis (within the last couple of years), so it's a bit much for me to spend on a hat...but it would be a nice alternative to my Fed IV...Carbon Gray, or Black...what to do, what to do...

:D

Keep a vague eye across ebay.com.au for a cheap Squatter. They do seem to come up pretty regularly down here but usually in the smaller sizes. Postage might be a killer but still cheaper tha a new one [huh]

I agree too with the squatter v stylemaster crown. The Squatter certainly seems to have more height but remains narrow.

I've tried on a bunch of smasters but just never warmed to the look

...on me that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust