Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Akubra Squatter

CRH

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
I am considering having the brim rebound. Thoughts? [huh]

Good idea. I think binding looks better and is more durable than a raw edge.

Lighter colored bindings are, however, a pain to keep clean.

Chuck Bobuck said:
It would look good and be easier to snap the brim. If you don't like to wear it, it might not be worth the cost though.
I like wearing it just as it is. It is the only other raw edge I have besides a vintage Stetson 25. With the ribbon width & binding the edge, it would be Whippet-ish & dressier, I think.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
I thought that Fed with the bound brim came up great RBH, as for the sawn-off squatter GTdean48, I'd be interested to see it on your head.

I'm a big believer in seeing how a hat sets off your fizz before making a judgement - perhaps why I rarely buy online.

elvisroe said:
I thought that Fed with the bound brim came up great RBH, as for the sawn-off squatter GTdean48, I'd be interested to see it on your head.

I'm a big believer in seeing how a hat sets off your fizz before making a judgement - perhaps why I rarely buy online.
Here is a noggin shot... & thanks Rusty. That's where it'll go if I decide to bind the edge.
GreySquat.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
RBH said:
Tom, holler at Mike. He bound the brim on my Federation {4 lign}, made a whole new hat out of it.
One that I wear now all the time!

I'm considering having the brim on my Squatter trimmed, any clue how much he charges for such things?

Randy

elvisroe

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
Here is a noggin shot... & thanks Rusty. That's where it'll go if I decide to bind the edge.
GreySquat.jpg

Wow, looks a lot like the fed iv, I guess those brim dimensions are pretty close. The crown certainly looks fuller than any stylemaster I've seen.

looks good.

A bound brim would probably tart it up a bit but I like it as is.

It's getting closer to what chuck bobuck suggests Akubra is lacking. I agree that it'd be nice to have something between the Fed IV and the Hampton. I reckon if you knocked another 5-10mm off that brim you'd have the perfect medium.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
When a Squatter isn't a Squatter

Well, all this business of trimming and binding and such has got me thinking.

The Squatter has a big brim. I like that. I also think I would like it after a trim.

The coolest thing would be to re-block the whole hat and take some of the brim up into the crown, but that would basically be a Fed lV with a snap brim... a Fed lll?

Sounds like I need to get a Fed lV and have the brim bound! :cool2:

Jerekson

One Too Many
To tell you the truth GtDean, I'm really digging the way it looks. I would just leave it the way you have it - maybe beat it around a bit to soften up the swoop on the brim.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
theinterchange said:
I'm considering having the brim on my Squatter trimmed, any clue how much he charges for such things?

Randy

If you can find a tack shop where they sell cowboy hats and western wear, in your area, they might have a brim cutter. There's one around my parts that offers brim cutting and I think the charge is minimal. If you want to have it bound, that would be a different story.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
GreySquat.jpg

Hey Deputy, nice hat. Don't get mad but I think you need a better camera. Your pictures are usually blurry and I cannot appreciate the beauty of your hats at its best!:eek: just a comment.[huh] :eek: :D

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Rebashed

Since I'm on a self/wife imposed boycott of new hat purchases and seeing all these great squatters, I thought I'd try and give old faithful a new look.

Not radically different, I just tried to square her up a bit more and stiffen out the crown...

akubrammmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1.jpg

Any tips on how to add a bit more stiffness to old felt?

A cowboy mate douses his with methylated spirits every few months...:eek: :eek:

not something I think I'd ever consider!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
I'm no expert on Nicole Kidman's hats, Sam, but as Dr Strange says below, one of Australia's leading hatters (Rosie Boylan) worked with the costume design folk and modified Akubras to suit the role. In the photos provided by Dr Strange, it does look like a modified Squatter. By the way I've emailed Rosie to ask (among other things) what hat she used for Hugh Jackman. She has yet to reply.

As for how they were shaped back in the 40's - the Squatter - and virtually all other Akubras - came open crowned back then. So the bashes were many and varied. The low crown, pork-pie seemed to become the standard for Squatters and several of Akubras factory creased lids over the years. It became a very Aussie look. The Squatter still comes in an open crown version.

I've handled one of those hats worn my Kidman in the film. It isn't much like a squatter in real life. It has a much higher crown and a narrower brim - around 68mm and is narrower at the sides. RM Willimas did produce replicas but they never took off.

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
Added a navy band to my fawn Squatter

Fresh from the recent DC metro snow showers, some recent work by Vince Covelli, Sr. at American Hatters:

Squatter001.jpg

[I didn't use the flash so the band appears much darker than it really is. It is a true dark blue, nowhere near black.]

Squatter002.jpg

Squatter003.jpg

I had Vince add a 1 7/8 inch navy band (the feather was gratis ;) ) to fill in some of the crown height and to help the hat fit in better with my mostly blue wardrobe. I love it.

Vince does really good work for fair prices. He is currently re-blocking my newly acquired Christy Malborough into a long oval with a shallow center dent. I wore it to his place to pick up the Squatter and my head was throbbing by the time I got there. Few things worse than an ill fitting hat. :(

Aureliano said:
Hey Deputy, nice hat. Don't get mad but I think you need a better camera. Your pictures are usually blurry and I cannot appreciate the beauty of your hats at its best!:eek: just a comment.[huh] :eek: :D
No worries. I get the same from Jimmy the Lid. My camera is at home & most of these shots get taken at the office with my phone. [huh]
jerekson said:
To tell you the truth GtDean, I'm really digging the way it looks. I would just leave it the way you have it - maybe beat it around a bit to soften up the swoop on the brim.
I am too, thanks.
theinterchange said:
Randy, I did it with just a ruler, a marker & a sharp pair of scissors but any western shop with decent hat dept will cut a brim down for $5 or a tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust