Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Jovan said:
...I've occasionally given thought to getting a band around the bicep... but I don't nearly have muscles enough to pull it off, plus it reminds me too much of a certain jerk I no longer associate with.

If you're the sort of mind that draws association between things in that way, I'd suggest not getting a tattoo. You never know what the future holds, and you wouldn't want a tattoo that constantly reminded you of someone or something else who hurt/upset/annoyed you.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My only complaint is that they are permanent. Anything you wouldn't put on a sign and hold up shouldn't go on your body. One you can change, the other is incredibly difficult to change/remove. I don't believe it's a sin. I know this puts me at odds with others who share similar beliefs.

dean

fatwoul

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
I am curious to know if any of you know why people frown on tattoos or the mainstream never used to ever get them.

That's probably an association thing too, I expect. Historically (at least in western countries), tattoos have always been associated with sailors, who have not always been considered to be the most respectable sorts; lots of drinking, fighting and promiscuity. I remember someone commenting once that they assumed that sailors originally got tattoos because they couldn't pack very much to take with them, so would have mementos of their lives and loves painted onto their bodies rather than worry about losing them during their working lives.

Other wings of the armed forces have since also adopted tattoos, for similar reasons of camaraderie and souvenir. Honourable as these people are, they are not generally considered to be a part of "well-to-do" society, but rather those willing to do the dirty work. In the UK, for example, officers in the Royal Navy are strongly discouraged from getting tattoos, most of them only having ink if they had previously served as ratings.

Pirates also got tattoos. Also not the sort of people you'd want your daughter to marry. Nor the sort of people a bank manager would want to give a loan to.

It's probably also got something to do with the fact that until recently, men and women of the tended not to show much of their bodies in public, so tattoos may never have even occurred to people, and even if they had, would not have been visible.

fatwoul

Practically Family
deanglen said:
My only complaint is that they are permanent. Anything you wouldn't put on a sign and hold up shouldn't go on your body. One you can change, the other is incredibly difficult to change/remove. I don't believe it's a sin. I know this puts me at odds with others who share similar beliefs.

I agree that is the sort of level of commitment someone should have to the tattoo before getting it done, but its worth remembering, as someone pointed out higher up the thread, that tattoos generally are located in places that can be hidden by clothes. Tattoos can't be changed/removed easily, but unlike the sign in your hand, are usually much easier to hide if necessary.

Edward

Bartender
I respect the right of those who view tattoos as sinful to believe so - providing, of course, that they respect my right to believe otherwise. ;) I don't rate the arguments put in the piece linked to personally - one thing that jumps out instnatly is the notion of "modesty", which appears to presume that a] any tattoo (or indeed by extension mode of dress) which is noticeable as different than the herd is undesirable. Now I may be biased having always been a bit of a peacock and habitually avoided maintream fashion, however, it seems to me that there's a world of difference between enjoying celebrating your own identity through clothes and body modifications, and the situation in which these things cease to become an expression of who you are and begin to define who you are. I've never had a problem with the former - the latter would be concerning in any terms, theological or not.

Biblical pronunciations against tattoos and piercings I've always been wary of. Specifically, I believe that it's missing the point somewhat to zone in on those activities being forbidden rather than the whys and wherefore of the ban. It seems to me that the believers were in actuality being instructed to avoid certain practices which at that time had strong ritual significances with pagan practices that they should not be indulging in rather than there being a specific harm in merely having a tattoo or an earring. Similar to St Paul's objections to hair braiding (which was associated with prostitutes at the time), or wmen having short hair or men long. Naturally, others are free to believe as they wish, but it does seem to me this is very much a matter of interpretation more than anything else.

I've wanted a tattoo for a long time - probably about eight years now. The design has been refined in that time, and I more or less have it sketched out - though of course I'd be having the tattooist finalise it and have it agreed before it goes near my skin. I'd take their advice some ways on sizing and so on. I'm all for appreciating their art, but given the nature of the canvas, I'd want it all finally agreed before it goes on me! lol I'm planning a phoenix rising from the flames design, which has a lot of personal as well as theological symbolism (in the early Christian church, the phoenix was often used to represent variousaly the resurrection of Christ and the resurrection to come for us all). I'm certain now that I'd be happy with this being on me personally, and the location I have chosen.... it's now going to come down to when I can find the time and the money (the only other thing i fear is... pain! I'm such a girl.... :p ). I'm hoping to get it done during 2008. I don't expect to get any more than that one done.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Considering something like this, on a shoulder:
(probably remove background and slogan)

tatt2.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
I never stated how I felt about tattoos. I just think people who get them need to be informed as to why the older generation or Christians would traditionally be against them. Otherwords the young 18 year old ( as I detest anyone who would put one on a minor) should maybe have a clue if and when he or she and the family decide to go to Aunt Lois's house or the yearly family reunion and suddenly gets horrified looks from some.
This was the point I was trying to make.
My honey actually has a yellow rose with Sandy across it from the fact he used to always bring me dozens of red roses. One day I suggested he bring me yellow ones or something different. When he came home with my name and the tattoo on his arm I told him he lost his mind if he thought I would then get his name on my anything. :p
My nephew is a tattoo artist and I do think it is sad he couldn't of gone into commercial art due to lack of funds as he is a spectacular artist. He is and has also been immaculate since he was 3. He used to line up his shoes in his closet when he was little.
I have just never got used to people drawing on themselves. When my kids were little they used to draw on themselves and it still seems the same to me. I do not judge people by them but I have only seen maybe one I thought was remotely pretty.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Samsa said:
I'd be curious to hear from members here who have gotten tattoos over the years - how long did it take you to decide on getting a tattoo, and how did you settle on what you wanted?

I took quite a while deciding. I thought about it for a while, drew it and perfected it for a long time, and then put it away and didn't look at it for 6-9 months. Them I took it back out and loved it all over again. That's when I knew I could live with it. Probably 3 years from beginning to think to completion.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
I'm all for appreciating their art, but given the nature of the canvas, I'd want it all finally agreed before it goes on me! lol I'm planning a phoenix rising from the flames design, which has a lot of personal as well as theological symbolism (in the early Christian church, the phoenix was often used to represent variousaly the resurrection of Christ and the resurrection to come for us all). I'm certain now that I'd be happy with this being on me personally, and the location I have chosen.... it's now going to come down to when I can find the time and the money (the only other thing i fear is... pain! I'm such a girl.... :p ). I'm hoping to get it done during 2008. I don't expect to get any more than that one done.

I am a Christian and have 4 tattoos. They have come along way with designs since I have gotten my last one. Mostly military types with one Superman:rolleyes:, It was during my military period too.
Anyway to get back on track if its still done the same way they put an outline on you that is not permanent. That is for them to go by and gives you the opportunity to see if you like the location and tattoo before the ink starts flying.
It really doesn't hurt, just kind of an itchy feeling.

ShortClara

One Too Many
scotrace said:
That was the question I was hesitant to ask. Pain level involved?

I could take it :) I'm tough. It can outright hurt, but it's do-able. As they say, you have to earn your tattoo. I have a guy friend though... he's huge and runs triathlons and has a little dot on his leg because he made them stop! :)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
That was the question I was hesitant to ask. Pain level involved?
Anywhere from a little scratchy feeling to a small mosquito feeling. Boy I guess that doesn't make any sense but it really isn't that bad....
Just short little needles.

The border is the deepest and the worst but still not horrible. I've never understood people that had to be drunk to get one, that's when you end up with who knows what.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
ShortClara said:
I have a guy friend though... he's huge and runs triathlons and has a little dot on his leg because he made them stop! :)

lol lol

You've been walking around in my head! I can see that happening. I don't have a low pain tolerance, and gosh, if Neecerie can survive it, I can. lol

Still... Needles! *shudder*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe