Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Barry said:
A different perspective...

I carry that kind of permanency in my heart and mind. It's with me every day. I don't need the scars or "tattoos" (yes, I've got a tattoo, applied with india ink and a syringe, by a radiation oncologist) to remind me of something I'll never forget. I can cover up the scars quite easily. Quite frankly, though, if I could have them removed, I would. Perhaps at some point I saw them as a badge of honor, but definitely not anymore. The real testament to my experience is how I choose to embrace each day when I wake up in the morning.

For me, I like solid things (this isn't the right choice of words, but my mind's gone blank). For example, I have a box of "memories", and it's got the most random things in it. I could probably remember these special moments and people without the objects, I just like to have them there. Same for my tattoos.

But you point is very valid, and is something I thought of before each tattoo.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Are they very expensive? [huh]

Are you offering to pay? ;)

I think some would run $100 - $180. I also have a half sleeve planned but it's not anywhere near being done (the design work that is). I've been working on it myself. I have friends who have sleeves that are not finished and that would drive me batty.

My career (yes I said career as in I went to college for it) pays very little comparatively speaking. And I can just drop hundreds like that without letting a few bills sit on the back burner for a while.

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
Mike1939 said:
Any more ideas on who had tattoos in the GOLDEN ERA?
Aside from what's already been mentioned there are also plenty of other people with tattoos. If you look at the historical articles I posted earlier in this thread it shows that tattooing was a fad during the 1890s in some areas, even among people who are better off than the working class. Considering that the golden era were 30ish years after that quite a few of those tattooed people ought to still be alive then. There were far more people than just sailors, criminals, sideshow attractions and natives who had tattoos back then.

Johnnysan said:
Despite the fervent attempts to covert the opposition, has anyone here wavered from their original position? Live and let live. ;)
Is that really the only point in discussing these things though? I think spreading information that breaks preconceptions and prejudice is never a bad thing. If it converts anyone or not is another thing, I'm not going to hold a knife to anyone's throat trying to make them change. That's the fine thing about personal choice. Live and let live indeed. :)

Undertow said:
Right, because a tattoo of a naked woman with devil horns and flames...

Not all tattoos are significant. And most decisions made at the ripe old age of 18-25 probably shouldn’t be permanent. So please don’t commit the same sin you accuse your humble narrator of committing, i.e. generalization.
Yes and no, what's really to say what that tattoo represents to that person? I've seen a person getting a tattoo of a flower and them saying it represents their grandfather for instance, despite it definitely not being apparent. What significance a tattoo has for a person, regardless if the imagery is of a naked woman with devil horns, a flower or whatever else there might be is really not for you or me to decide but only up to that person.

Not all tattoos are significant, definitely, I don't disagree with that at all...though a lot of people do commit the "sin" (as you choose to call it, I don't believe in sins) of thinking that tattoos are only a thing of decoration and completely devoid of meaning to anyone. It's one thing not wanting to get tattooed for whatever reason and another thing to shut oneself out from it to such a degree that the only thing you can say about them come out as often insultive generalizations. Not saying that you're guilty of that, just saying what I've seen over and over from people in general.

Barry said:
A different perspective...

I carry that kind of permanency in my heart and mind.
Indeed, there are plenty of people like you as well. I am personally a quite visual person and visual input helps me relate and remember much better than just keeping it within. What's right and what's wrong is really not a point since every person does what he or she feels is best. Though that has a lot to do with why I don't get the large scale anomosity against tattoos, it's like a lot of people cannot accept that people do with their bodies what they want, and that that should be a basic human liberty.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
MrPumpernickel said:
Indeed, there are plenty of people like you as well. I am personally a quite visual person and visual input helps me relate and remember much better than just keeping it within.

Ah, there we go, those were the words I was looking for earlier.. lol

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MrPumpernickel said:
Not all tattoos are significant, definitely, I don't disagree with that at all...though a lot of people do commit the "sin" (as you choose to call it, I don't believe in sins) of thinking that tattoos are only a thing of decoration and completely devoid of meaning to anyone. It's one thing not wanting to get tattooed for whatever reason and another thing to shut oneself out from it to such a degree that the only thing you can say about them come out as often insultive generalizations. Not saying that you're guilty of that, just saying what I've seen over and over from people in general..

Then again, I hate people who bore me wth long stories about the "significance" of this or that tattoo. The black band on my arm I got because it means NOTHING. It's not a picture. Not a symbol. Not a design. I also have NIHIL tattooed on my chest. Its meaning: NOTHING.

Dr Doran

THE REAL QUESTION

This is the real question. This is the question for all the cantankerous yet lovable tattoo haters. WOULD YOU BE UPSET IF YOUR DAUGHTER MARRIED A TATTOOED MAN. This, my dears, is where the rubber hits thr road, where the bullet hits the bone, etc.
Let's say the man was 30, your daughter 27. He was unobjectionable, in fact admirable in every way. He was an impeccable dresser, a perfect gentleman in double breasted suits. A PhD in a respectable subject.

BUT HE HAD TATTOOS.
Would this upset you?

This is the question and I want answers. Not from the tattooed people but from the non-tattooed people. Be truthful.
(Don't worry, I, who fit this description pretty closely, am already taken.)

Undertow

TheKitschGoth said:
Maybe it does, I have one friend who has tattoos of skulls on her arms, and if you didn't know her you'd naturally assume they are meaningless and a bit silly, but to her they mean something, maybe not a person, but a feeling or memory.

Although, you are very right that not all tattoos have deeper meanings. The same friend used to walk into tattoo parlours and choose a tattoo design there and then, just because she liked the sensation of being inked. I have a feeling those will be the ones she's regrets later. :(

My next tattoo, a pair of stiletto heels. Could you derive a deeper meaning from that image alone? Probably not, but it's going to be the tattoo with the most significance. I've been planning it for about 2-3 years now.

Oh hum, I'm trying and I'm failing.

You are merely continuing my point in that it makes no difference to me, one way or the other. Essentially, one man's garbage is another man's gold. As I said in the previous post, I receive rationale after rationale and it makes little difference to me; I'm not living with a permanent mark. The tattoo I described (naked woman with Chinese characters, etc) is an actual tattoo a friend of mine has, and she’s already described each and every minute detail and analyzed every possible aspect of its meaning. Regardless, seven years down the chute and she’s telling me she wishes her little boy doesn’t have to ask about the naked woman’s anatomy in the grocery store. Whatever, who cares? Not me particularly, and she still likes the tattoo, blah blah.

Regardless, I was unnecessarily stating my opinion of tattoos in regard to my personal preference. This thread wasn’t even originally about that; my apologies.

My last words on this discussion come from some guy named Samuel Clemens, “My habits protect my life but they would assassinate you.”

RIOT

Practically Family
Doran said:
This is the real question. This is the question for all the cantankerous yet lovable tattoo haters. WOULD YOU BE UPSET IF YOUR DAUGHTER MARRIED A TATTOOED MAN. This, my dears, is where the rubber hits thr road, where the bullet hits the bone, etc.
Let's say the man was 30, your daughter 27. He was unobjectionable, in fact admirable in every way. He was an impeccable dresser, a perfect gentleman in double breasted suits. A PhD in a respectable subject.

BUT HE HAD TATTOOS.
Would this upset you?

This is the question and I want answers. Not from the tattooed people but from the non-tattooed people. Be truthful.

Aw. I don't get to answer this?

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Undertow said:
Oh hum, I'm trying and I'm failing.

You are merely continuing my point in that it makes no difference to me, one way or the other.

I wasn't trying to persuade you, it's just you put that post up in a discussion, and I discussed it.[huh]

And I like to hear different opinions to my own (when said in a non offensive way of course)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:

BUT HE HAD TATTOOS.
Would this upset you?

No, wouldn't. I know several people with varying amounts of tattoos, and it doesn't really bother me. I just don't get the reasoning behind wanting them in the first place, being permanent and all. [huh] But that's just me. Then there are people such as the Maoris from New Zealand that quite honestly look rather interesting with the patterns they tattoo on their faces. It's been part of their culture for perhaps thousands of years.
At the risk of appearing "Politically Incorrect", I would however draw the line at someone with tattoos on their face. If it were someone from this country, and a gang member of the criminal underground such as the individual that was pictured in that other thread, he had best be prepared to run. Maybe people from other countries fail to realize that we have these people over here that spend most of their lives in prison, because of their criminal activities? And that the tattoos they wear are all gang related?
I looked into the story behind that pic and found that this person had murdered a cop. :mad: Also another picture of him showed the tattoo of hitler on his chest, as well as the childish and stupid looking scrawls all over his carcass. :rage:

warbird

One Too Many
Doran said:

BUT HE HAD TATTOOS.
Would this upset you?

Are you talking one or two tats, or these people covered up in them?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
warbird said:
Are you talking one or two tats, or these people covered up in them?

One of each for each of your lovely daughters, one guy with a simple upper-arm tattoo and one Lizardman:

lizardmanuc2.jpg

-Viola

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe