Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tamara de Lempicka

JEEP

Practically Family
Incredible artist!

I didn't know about her untill just now. To bad I have already filled my walls - I think I need to make room for a couple of prints :)

Thanks for sharing this.

/Jakob

DecoDahlia

Familiar Face
In the 1980's here in Los Angeles, there was a really interesting "interactive" play based on Tamara de Lempicka's life, held in The American Legion Headquarters in Hollywood. Scenes from de Lempicka's life would be staged in different rooms, so you'd visit the rooms of your choice and "eavesdrop" on the goings on, thus, each group of people got a different "story," since this play didn't have an actual plot; it was more a "day-in-the-life-of" situation. Upon entering The American Legion building, you'd receive a "passport," as this play occurred in an "Italian Villa," so they had this great actor playing the role of an Italian Fascist official circa the 1920's. I heard there was, or was supposed to be, a film project about Tamara de Lempicka's life.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
While I was in London there was an exhibition of her works at a local museum, so I decided to stop by. They are more gorgeous in person then anyone can imagine, if they ever exhibit her again I will be first in line.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Not only participant of The Jazz Age but also one of the most important artists of the Art Deco style. Thanks for posting dhermann1!

I like this one... "Self Portrait in green Bugatti" (1925)
tdl03lg.jpg

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have loved her forever. She was Polish, and they still remember her in Poland and many average Poles know biographical details about her. My sister in law (also Polish) has done a version of the painting of the woman driving. I have playing cards with Lempicka pictures on the back.

Some CDs of Astor Piazzola, the master of Nuevo Tango, have Lempicka paintings on the covers.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
This is pretty interesting stuff. On the surface it looks like bourgeois cubism, but it really seems that something deeper is going on. The sexual ambiguity is pronounced but not necessarily celebrated. It also sort of like an anti-social realism.

Makes you wonder why the bookstores are full of books about Frida Kahlo and not this women.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I'm a big fan also.
Her self portrait in a Bugatti was adapted in an episode of "The Flash" tv series and a redone version of Portrait of a Man in an Overcoat was in an episode of "Doctor Who".
Thanks for reminding me of her work.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

swinggal

One Too Many
I have always loved her also. She was known as 'The Countess with the Paintbrush'. I have many favourites of hers. She was quite an elegant woman herself too.

Tamara_de_Lempicka.jpg

St. Mortitz (1929) is one of my favs because the the balance of the red sweater againts the white snow. Can't help it...juts be being a designer :)

1062747757_large-image_tdlstmlg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld