Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SUFFERING For Your STYLE

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Ghos7a55assin said:
Apparently, the topic of my hat came up during a meeting of some sort, and the only person who stood up for me was my theatre director.

Ghos7a55assin's story got me thinking ...

If you wear vintage (or vintage style) clothing and have a vintage hairstyle, do you pay a price for it? For instance, do you think that it might hurt your chances of being hired for a job you'd like, or getting a raise, or finding a romantic partner, or just plain being accepted by the world at large?

If there is a price, is it always worth paying? Or instead, do you sometimes compromise by not wearing vintage styles when you'd like to ... even when nothing (i.e., your job) is specifically prohibiting you from doing so?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't call it suffering, but I feel conspicuous when I wear my hats. I've gotten nothing but compliments on them, though.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh yes, how I suffer....

The perpetual "bad haircut" and "Indy Jones" comments have ruined my life and made me a social outcast. NOT!

I literally could not care less. As I like to say, "I am what I am, I do what I do, I be what I be".

-dixon cannon

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My style has only helped in my line of work (retail management). When it comes to clothing and fashion, people assume that I know what I'm talking about.
And while most of the women in my life never were into vintage style, they all thought (and think) that it's charming, weird sometimes, yes. But mostly charming.

Rosie

One Too Many
I wear a modern pant suit when going on interviews and won't wear my hair in rolls (which is one of my regualr hair styles). I often think my dress might hinder my romantic prospects. Guys who don't undertand the vintage thing think I'm prissy as I've stated before or other men think I'm ultra religious, which I'm not. I went out on a few dates with a guy who was :eek: :eek: :eek: because I didn't listen to current rap and r&b, (like what's playing on the radio is the BEST of the best) and because I didn't spend my weekends fighting my way into the theater to see whatever crud was being released that week. I think I may be seen as eccentric especially in my neighborhood and for my age. [huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Rosie said:
Guys who don't undertand the vintage thing think I'm prissy as I've stated before or other men think I'm ultra religious, which I'm not.

I've run into reactions like this too, and I've never been quite sure how to dissuade people from thinking that. I dress and act the way I do because it's what works for me, what's a comfortable fit for my personality, not because I'm required to -- but these days it's so rare for a woman to *choose* to look and act like a lady that people tend to assume there has to be some kind of authoritarian/ideological motivation behind it. I've gotten to where I just shrug it off, but it does kind of bug me.

For the most part, though, the reactions I get are very favorable, especially from patrons at the theatre -- who often compliment me on how well I harmonize with the overall decor.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'm very interested in this topic. When a person's lifestyle -- be it punk, rockabilly, '30s, or whatever -- attracts "the slings and arrows" of others, that person either gives up the lifestyle or invests even more of himself/herself into it. In other words, negative reactions can make the lifestyler resolve to be even more "vintage" than ever.

(Example: At the University of California, Berkeley, I was in the Navy ROTC. Precisely because it was in Berkeley, that ROTC was one of most hardcore in the country.)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
LizzieMaine said:
... these days it's so rare for a woman to *choose* to look and act like a lady that people tend to assume there has to be some kind of authoritarian/ideological motivation behind it.
But couldn't it be that there is an ideological motivation behind the way you dress, Lizzie? I mean, a lot of folks seem to go for vintage stuff -- including apparel -- because it comes from an era whose ideals appeal to them.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Being an illustrator and animator people expect me to be "different", and I don't want to disappoint them;) . In my line of work I think it really does work to my advantage, people remember me and it's become my identity. And I'm also dressing better than most the people I work with, so there can't be anything wrong with that.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:

If you wear vintage (or vintage style) clothing and have a vintage hairstyle, do you pay a price for it? For instance, do you think that it might hurt your chances of being hired for a job you'd like, or getting a raise, or finding a romantic partner, or just plain being accepted by the world at large?

If there is a price, is it always worth paying? Or instead, do you sometimes compromise by not wearing vintage styles when you'd like to ... even when nothing (i.e., your job) is specifically prohibiting you from doing so?

I'm not a vintage fan, I just like hats - so this doesn't really apply to me. Wearing a fedora is different, but not substantially...so it doesn't appear to be a factor in my work or life. (Except that I've run out of storage space in the closet.)

The reality is that society moves at its own pace, and anyone who looks or acts "different" will see results from that. Whether you dress vintage, or gothic, or with your pants down to your knees, you are projecting an image, and society will respond; you must live with the results. In some professions and settings, vintage clothing might be a neutral factor or an asset. In other settings, it will be a negative to overcome. We all make decisions, and we all live with the result.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vintage nad Indie

Like Rosie, I think dressing this way hinders the fellas. I never get looks or compliments from the boys in my age bracket. Older men, homeless men, all the time. [huh]

Also I notice that a lot of younger people, like me, who tend to dress vintage-ish also throw a little punk in it. Piercings, tattoos, wild colored hair, that sort of thing.

Im no acception, I have quite a few tats, and streatched lobes, but most people dont notice at all until they are face to face with me and have scanned me a few times. Most of the time I am looked on a 'faux conservative' I guess.

So Id say in more casual aspects of my life, the vintage dress has put some damper moments on me, but Id hope that wouldnt translate into my profesional life. THAT would be depressing being judged for dressing classically.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
I'm very interested in this topic. When a person's lifestyle -- be it punk, rockabilly, '30s, or whatever -- attracts "the slings and arrows" of others, that person either gives the lifestyle up or invests even more of himself/herself into it. In other words, negative reactions can make the lifestyler resolve to be even more "vintage" than ever.

It seems you will get that type of reaction if you arnt shopping at the Gap, Guess, Old Navy, or wearing the latest trend from 'The OC'.
:eusa_doh:

LD

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
So far I haven't heard any of the negative. I usually get complimented on how much better I'm dressing and how sharp it looks. Most everyone I meet loves my hats and the rest either don't notice or they just don't comment. My style is a little more relaxed right now with summer so its camp shirts & linen trousers. Sometimes I get the golfing comment, but it is usually from a friend or co-worker who jests their way into a compliment. And as far as work goes, it has only helped me as I portray a better immage of myself. So far so good.

Cheers!

Dan

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
LizzieMaine said:
Unfortunately, we live in a world that's all about pigeonholing.
True, true, true ... and behind much of it, a false knowledge of history. Ever notice how much of the "history" taught to us in grade school and even high school was untrue? I'm spending most of my time in graduate school unlearning it.

Why do folks like Wild Root feel such passion for authenticity? In part, it's a hunger to unearth and share truths about the past, to literally wear them -- even in the face of incomprehension and ridicule.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I think it's easier for the guys. For most average joes a suits a suit. And nobody I know can tell the difference between my vintage loop shirts and the new ones that I have. Really the fedoras are the only things that stands out. For the girls everything on the outfit can make some kind of statement, from the hair to the shoes.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
"I'm a hodgepodge mix of FDR liberalism, Eisenhower conservatism, soft libertarianism, third-wave feminism, and old-fashioned personal morality -- who believes a woman's place is wherever she wants to be."

Lizzie, that's absolutely admirable. I love it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally