Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style Icon: Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Talking about style icons, i thought I'd quickly mention him ....

3337-1.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Brian Sheridan said:
How is it? Worth tracking down a copy?

It's good: breezy, witty, at times self-deprecating and self-aggrandizing. Menjou was there at the beginning: his first turn before the cameras was in 1913. Fascinating anecdotes about the early movie business and its rapid evolution. Some wisdom too. And lots and lots of talk about his wardrobe, tailors, etc.

Contemporaries described Menjou as a first class jerk, by the way.

I picked up my copy from the public library.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
It's good: breezy, witty, at turns self-deprecating and self-aggrandizing. Menjou was there at the beginning: his first turn before the cameras was in 1913. Fascinating anecdotes about the early movie business and its rapid evolution. Some wisdom too. And lots and lots of talk about his wardrobe, tailors, etc.

I will get his biography, it sounds good to me! Thanks Marc Chevalier.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
To bring this thread full circle, I should add that Menjou did two early films with Douglas Fairbanks in New York. Then, in Hollywood, Fairbanks cast him as King Louis XIII in The Three Musketeers ... and indeed he looked exactly like the real monarch.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Menjou was a true retrofile. He was the twenties through the 40s and never let that aesthetic go... from spats to top hats he to me is more eccentric than stylish, but boy could he dress.

Now for Style I go with Cooper or Grant since their style was fashionable through the decades.

John Ligonier

New in Town
THE MORE EXQUISITE POINT

Tomasso said:
True, but were he not the progeny of an icon it's doubtful that he would have made it onto the world stage.
The roll of those who made it "on the world stage" without being the "progeny of an icon" is very long and impressive. And the the more exquisite point regarding Doug Jr. is the decided contrast of his life with those on the long sad list of iconic progeny who have turned out as spoiled, misguided, tragic utter failures -- the "victims" (legitimately in some cases) of their parents' fame.

just_me

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
It's good: breezy, witty, at times self-deprecating and self-aggrandizing. Menjou was there at the beginning: his first turn before the cameras was in 1913. Fascinating anecdotes about the early movie business and its rapid evolution. Some wisdom too. And lots and lots of talk about his wardrobe, tailors, etc.

Contemporaries described Menjou as a first class jerk, by the way.
He may have been stylish, but I can't forget when watching him that he was a friendly witness and willingly named names to the House Committee on Un-American Activities.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
you might be right....but

just_me said:
He may have been stylish, but I can't forget when watching him that he was a friendly witness and willingly named names to the House Committee on Un-American Activities.

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG there is always something, isn't there!

you can't please all !!!lol lol lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
just_me said:
[bad]

no-politics.gif

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
Menjou was a true retrofile. He was the twenties through the 40s and never let that aesthetic go... from spats to top hats he to me is more eccentric than stylish, but boy could he dress.

Now for Style I go with Cooper or Grant since their style was fashionable through the decades.

Mr. Deckard: I could not have said it better.;) ;)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Marc Chevalier said:
I believe they're called cricket spectators. Rarely seen today, they were the earliest style of spectator shoe, dating back to the 1850s.

Look closely at the painting in this link. You'll see an old gentleman wearing a pair: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Tissot_shipboard_detail.jpg

dude... I was just talking to the gal at the local Allen Edmonds shop. They're making them this season.

I'll take a photo of the 2 tone ones they have in the shop
6448.jpg

www.allenedmonds.com

I do think the two tone cap toes were first... then the tongue tops. We'll do research Saturday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken