Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style Icon: Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

Imitation is the finest form of flattery.

Douglas-Fairbanks-Jr_1909-2000.jpg

3225630.jpg

copyof3309429davidnivencv8.jpg

copyofbe034709fairbanksbu7.jpg

3208424.jpg

JS1563307.jpg

douglas17wu.jpg

douglas20mv.jpg

uniondepot1932_ff_300x225_103020060121.gif

2330338594_519f7bb33f.jpg

WK986.jpg

Annex%20-%20Fairbanks%20Jr.,%20Douglas_NRFPT_01.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Son_of_Atropos said:
This may be SR.
It is. Cary Grant idolized Fairbanks Sr. and emulated him in manners and dress. CG became great friends with both Jr. and Sr.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Sr and Jr!

I love both Senior and Junior. Must see: Fairbanks Sr in the original Zorro film, "The Mark of Zorro", and of course "The Thief of Baghdad". He did all his own stunts and had a phenomenal physical energy.
My favorite Junior film was the politically ultra incorrect but wonderful "Gunga Din".

mike

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
I love both Senior and Junior. Must see: Fairbanks Sr in the original Zorro film, "The Mark of Zorro", and of course "The Thief of Baghdad". He did all his own stunts and had a phenomenal physical energy.
My favorite Junior film was the politically ultra incorrect but wonderful "Gunga Din".

I have a new found respect for Douglas Fairbanks, Sr.'s pre-swashbucklers! I was fortunate enough to see IN AGAIN, OUT AGAIN (1917) and as much as you can read up on what to expect of this early period of his, it remains surprisingly inviting, personable and truly fun! There's an entire grouping of films he made from this time that are probably most worth seeing! And a recent dvd box set collecting the very 'pictures in question! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Douglas-Fairbanks-Musketeer-Matrimaniac-Mollycoddle/dp/B001GOEYAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1235959911&sr=1-1

It took me some time to appreciate Junior, but I certainly love a good deal of the movies he is in, even if I don't think he is the one more often than not carrying the films. And I think I'm preconditioned to not be too hot on him, because I have a chip on my shoulder for Lon Chaney Jr. who should have never changed his name from Creighton. On the other hand, I've never read any of the Fairbanks/Pickford bios and have always meant to... maybe that'll be next for me :)

Feraud

Bartender
I think these "Style Icon: ____" threads are fantastic.
They are a great way to showcase individual's classic style.

Inspired by this thread I plan to add one of my own. It's going to be called Style Icon: Leadbelly.

John Ligonier

New in Town
NOT JUST AN ACTOR

To Mike and Tomasso, et al. Let's not forget that Doug Jr. was much more than an actor and producer. He was a war hero ( he won the Silver Star at Salerno in WWII), a successful businessman, a skilled diplomat (who served his country as such) and even one of only a few Americans to win a KBE (Knight of the British Empire) for his real heroics. A man of substance, who looked the part.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
His autobiography is worth reading.

Doug Jr. did not have a close relationship with his father, which is a pity. They were both remarkable men, but apparently Doug Jr. was better adjusted than Sr. was. The elder Fairbanks lived with deep (though hidden) insecurities.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
John Ligonier said:
NOT JUST AN ACTOR
True, but were he not the progeny of an icon it's doubtful that he would have made it onto the world stage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken