Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Struggling with bashing my new hat - please comment/assist

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
I just received a new hat (Christys' Adventurer). It's my first open crown, and it's the tallest crown I've purchased. I'm struggling with the bash. I get it to where it looks good sitting on a table, but when I put it on I'm not sure that I like the proportions.

I guess my question is: Am I not bashing it correctly (missing some trick), or am I just not used to the dimensions/proportions of a taller crowned hat?

Please review the pics below and let me know if you believe it's the former or the later.

Also, any suggestions or critiques would be most welcome.

100_0787-1.jpg

100_0788-1.jpg

100_0789-1.jpg

100_0790-1.jpg

100_0791-1.jpg

100_0792-1.jpg

Macheath

One of the Regulars
The headshots look fine to me, but a full body shot would provide a better perspective.

If the tallness really bothers you, though, you could deepen the crease and reverse the dent into a telescope dome, so it doesn't look so much like you're wearing a highball glass on your head.

In any case, that looks like a fine lid. I'm curious, though, which color felt is that? I've been thinking about getting one, and the picture they have on the hornetshats.com page doesn't seem to do it justice. I didn't even realize that the adventurer had a bound brim.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HATHEAD--I like the overall look of that one on you very much. I think the wide brim looks better than a thinner one on most people. I do think citRon is right about lowering the front just a bit while still keeping the tall crown look. The color is great too, by the way, and I like the crease.

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
Macheath said:
The headshots look fine to me, but a full body shot would provide a better perspective.

If the tallness really bothers you, though, you could deepen the crease and reverse the dent into a telescope dome, so it doesn't look so much like you're wearing a highball glass on your head.

In any case, that looks like a fine lid. I'm curious, though, which color felt is that? I've been thinking about getting one, and the picture they have on the hornetshats.com page doesn't seem to do it justice. I didn't even realize that the adventurer had a bound brim.

You can request a bound brim on any of their hats. Also, they'll switch up the ribbon colors on request. Just contact them via the email link on their site.

This hat is the bessemer color, but I've changed up the brightness and contrast of the photos to better show the crease/bash. It's really a dark charcoal, and I requested a black band and bound edge. It appears lighter in color in photos than in real life.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

In the second photo it looks like there is you created a very pronounced rake (inclination between front and back), but that could be because of the angle. If the rake is so marked, this could visually make the front appear higher.

Judging from the frontal and 3/4 views, I think the height suits you. I would believe you are just not used to the tall crown. The greater part of modern hats are no more than 4 1/2'' to maybe 5'' tall, and with some taper, so a hat over this can look odd at the beginning.

Regards!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Great hat!

I think you're uncomfortable with a taller crown because you haven't worn one. This happens to most people the firts time they wear a hat with a tall crown. Once you've worn one and are comfortable with it, a shorter crown just doesn't look as good. At least that is my experience.

The hat has a 1930's vibe as it is and looks very good IMHO. You could lower the front of the crown a bit but I'd wear it as is for a few days and see if it grows (not literally) on you.

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
looks really good

Your hat looks amazing especially considering its price £50!
You've bashed it well :eusa_clap :eusa_clap and if you lower the front you might feel even better about it.You've answered my questions I asked on another thread about the binding and crown height. Now that I've seen it bashed I want one too.I bet you'll grow to love its tall crown.Another plus is the fact that you can get it in one of 16 colours.

jpbales

Practically Family
i think the proportions of the hat look great on you (the brim and crown sizes), but I would probably do as suggested above and lower the front crease (possibly tighten the front pinch too, but that's just the way I like mine personally) and probably raise the back one a tad (it looks low enough in the back that it may hit your head). There's no magic behind it, just a little fiddling around and getting used to ;)
Nice hat though!

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
That lid looks great on you. The move to a tall crown is tough at first but soon enough even that hat will seem low and you will be wondering how to get more height out of the crown.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I think you did a fine job with the bash. That's about the look I strive for and prefer. Mine end up higher in the back, but that's just me. Yours looks more dramatic. I agree with others who suggest you may not be used to the height. I felt the same and my wife said it looked like I had a coffee can on my head. I lowered the front of the crown, but I had to bring it back up later. It looks great. Good job!

toobacat

One of the Regulars
Personally, I wouldn't lower the crown. I think the crown height really suits you. I think the crease looks good as it is.

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. I think I'll raise the back a bit, lower the front a tad, and see where that gets me.

Overall, I think I just need to get used to a tall crown. I think they look great when I see the photos posted by others, and my photos didn't look too bad, but it just seemed odd in person when looking in the mirror.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I too think it looks very good. A full body shot can't hurt, but I don't see any problem at all -

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
Well, I had to run out to WalMart tonight, so I decided to break in the new hat.

Had one woman say to me, "I like your hat".

I guess the crown is okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld