Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratoliner

STETSON STRATOLINER

I thought I would take this time to remind people that many vintage hats were named after cool things in the old days. The Stetson Stratoliner is just one of these but I thought I would give you just an idea what it was that inspired the hat.
The stratoliner was an airplane produced in the late 1930s that was very deco and well appointed for the period. WWII came along and ended the production of the Stratoliner. I wonder how popular it could have been considering it cost $12,000 for a trip to the middle of the country! That is like paying a few hundred thousand now! The following pictures give you some idea about what the plane looked like and the resulting hat that it inspired.

Regards to all,

J

012.jpg

stratolinerinside.jpg

stratolinerhatbox.jpg

merged Stratoliner threads 01.31.10

and one more:

121boe.jpg

It is a shame that the only surviving Stratoliner is now a damned house boat! I suppose it is better than none surviving but I do not think Howard Hughes would be too happy with how his airplane ended up.
No, Actually I am being facetious. There is a house boat stratoliner but fortunately the Clipper Flying Cloud from good ol' PanAm was obtained by the Smithsonian and restored by Boening workers when they found it languishing in a warehouse. Check out the full story at:

http://members.clnk.com/k5cf/PanAm903/PanAm903.htm
and
http://www.boeing.com/news/frontiers/archive/2003/august/qt_ab.html

Regards to all,

J

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Stetson Stratoliner wool??

I saw a Stetson Stratoliner advertised on an online auction site advertised as made of wool. If that is correct, how can that model be so popular?

jeboat :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
...the eBay vendor doesn't know that it's fur-felt- you see a lot of that- good hats described as wool. If it's a good brand and model and described as wool, then chances are it's not wool. just the vendor not knowing anything about hats. Unless it is a wool Stetson...? :rage:

B
T

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
i also see alot of people saying the hat is wool . The problem today is most people dont understand the difference between wool and fur . The reality is nobody for the most part wears hats except for us in the know . Thats why people need to be taught the difference . i was in a hat store in Chicago last year and another person was trying on a hat (Dobbs) . When the store salesman told the customer the price , the customer almost fell down . He didn't understand how a hat could be 100.00 .

varga49

One of the Regulars
wool

I bought a hat on ebay which actually was a wool..in the homburg style, made by the golden gate hat company from Los Angeles.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
You win some ,you loose some . Generaly ,most of the hats seen on Ebay are fur felt ,but you need to be careful . Hats from companies such as Bollman, Dorfman Pacific and Golden Gate are made of wool .
Always ask questions when you buy .

varga49

One of the Regulars
the golden gate

besdor said:
You win some ,you loose some . Generaly ,most of the hats seen on Ebay are fur felt ,but you need to be careful . Hats from companies such as Bollman, Dorfman Pacific and Golden Gate are made of wool .
Always ask questions when you buy .
I was happy with my golden gate, knowing in advance the hat was a woolie..I did ask, the seller though, which is prudent advice...the golden gate found a new home with a fellow who promised to take good care of it!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It has been my esperience with all the Strtatoliner lids that I have incountered in antique malls, is that they are a fur felt. I haven't run across one in a wool. Also, it seems the ones in the antique malls were quite expensive. The owner is quite proud of what they are selling, even if it isn't in good shape.

Cheers!

Dan

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Brown/tan Stratoliner

Does anybody know if the Stratoliner was made in anything other than gray?

Gray ones seem to be plentiful (but expensive lately) but I wonder if there are any other colors?

jeboat:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

MattC

A-List Customer
Most colors

I have a light blue Stratoliner, and a medium brown. I have a grey so light it is almost white. I am pretty sure Fedoralover has a dark grey. I've seen a Sage one advertised. I've never seen a black Stratoliner (though I have seen black Open Roads).

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Gray seems to have been the predominate color of Stratoliners (I have one) but I've seen them in brown (I have one) cream (had one) and the colors MattC mentioned. Don't know why.

fedoralover

Had a blue one once, sniff

I bought a medium-blue Stratoliner at a thrift shop a coupla-three decades ago. I was but a callow youth at the time and had little appreciation for what I had. I'll take much better care of the next one, provided there ever is a next one.

CasaBlancaChuck

Familiar Face
Stratoliner on eBay

There's a very good looking (unbashed?) (brown?) Stratoliner Royal on eBay item #8361870228 in a size 7 1/8. You don't see those everyday.

CasaBlancaChuck said:
There's a very good looking (unbashed?) (brown?) Stratoliner Royal on eBay item #8361870228 in a size 7 1/8. You don't see those everyday.

Now that is interesting. I am wearing a Stratoliner of nearly the same color today. Quite a coincidence.
My hat smelled like chocolate when I first got it. It was the strangest thing. That hat isn't even chocolate brown. :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally