Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stingy brims???

Not in the US or GB. It was a French play that eventually went world wide after 1882. I don't think any fashion from France would have made it to the US or GB before it appeared in the US or GB.

When we speak of hat history on this site, we rarely limit to US only, since many terms, styles, and production techniques are European in origin.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
A Bowler???? Why, because it looked like a bowling ball or the guy who wore it was a bowler? Name beginnings....maybe a reason for a whole new thread or is there such a thread already?
Wiki says... The bowler hat, also known as a billycock, bob hat, bombín or derby (USA), is a hard felt hat with a rounded crown, originally created by the London hat-makers Thomas and William Bowler during 1849. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

It's more than just anecdotal. Brad Bowers posted an ad in a newspaper for a fedora and the ad predated the play. Too lazy to search for it, though.

I’ve heard of it but haven’t seen it myself. I meant no disparagement when I said it was anecdotal. If Brad said it’s for real that’s good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve heard of it but haven’t seen it myself. I meant no disparagement when I said it was anecdotal. If Brad said it’s for real that’s good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found it again a few months ago, but searching for something on my phone using Tapatalk is a pain in the TAR.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
:):):):)

whats-with-this-show-about-some-science-teacher-in-a-porkpie-hat.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe