Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stingy brims???

I do the same. Two year-old magazines in the dentist office become boring very quickly.

Lots of rabbit holes to go down but rarely a definite or satisfying answer at the end. Don’t even start down the US vs the UK definition of “trilby.”

A trilby is one of those little furry things from Star Trek, right?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Personally, anything 2" and below is stingy. I don't know where the word originated; however, my sieve-like memory seems to think we've seen ads from the 50s use that term.

The term "Fedora" predates 1925 by several decades. Even if you buy the discredited notion it was named after the character in the play, that was the late 1800s. Mr. Bowers put paid to that myth some time back on the lounge and now we know the term predates the play.

I'm bemused at getting so wrapped around the axle about some of this stuff. Most of it is a reflection of the marketing and fashion trends of the times. Perhaps stingy brim was used in a fashion article at some point and caught on, perhaps it was two guys and a bottle of vodka that gave rise to the term, and it made it's way into everyday use.

Wear what you like. I personally don't think low, tapered crowns and short brims are desirable or attractive, but then my tastes are just that, my tastes.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Fedoras appeared by that name in the late 1800s.
Fashion/Trend setters...…….Considering the era, lets say, mid-1920s. Just like Marlene Dietrich I believe was the trend setter for women in trousers and what an uproar!!! But, it only took one. (I'm talking trousers, not Levi's) I believe what I read about King Edward VII being the first to wear a "Fedora" because at that time, royalty were trend setters!!! This was supposedly around 1925. Movie stars, and is that still not so today?
Celebrities are the most inexpensive way to sell a product, back then, not today. Today it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Fedora has French beginnings. What do you think Tom Mix would have said or done if some yankee eastern greenhorn said, Hey Tom, I like your Fedora!!!!

Fedoras, by that name, were around since the late 1800s.

I think your Edward VII anecdote refers to the homburg and not the fedora, but even then your dates appear to be off.

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Fedoras appeared by that name in the late 1800s.

Fedoras, by that name, were around since the late 1800s.

I think your Edward VII anecdote refers to the homburg and not the fedora, but even then your dates appear to be off.

I guess it depends on who reads what and accepts what they read as truth. I've always been amazed at the amount of info out there for the researcher and knowing everything is 100% true and factual.

I guess it depends on who reads what and accepts what they read as truth. I've always been amazed at the amount of info out there for the researcher and knowing everything is 100% true and factual.

We live in an age of false facts and fabricated information.

Still, there are adverts from the 1800s offering fedoras for sale. That and the play by that name with the iconic hats making an appearance we can demonstrably show that fedoras originated in the 19th century.

31 Model A

A-List Customer
We live in an age of false facts and fabricated information.

Still, there are adverts from the 1800s offering fedoras for sale. That and the play by that name with the iconic hats making an appearance we can demonstrably show that fedoras originated in the 19th century.
Fedoras as a "Fedora" or a style/shape that originated into a "fedora"

31 Model A

A-List Customer
The play “Fedora” premiered in 1882 and I’ve heard anecdotal evidence that the hats by that name predated the play by a couple of years.

Edward VII and his popularizing of the homburg also occurred in the 1800s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not in the US or GB. It was a French play that eventually went world wide after 1882. I don't think any fashion from France would have made it to the US or GB before it appeared in the US or GB.

From the late 1800s Sears Roebuck, and Co.
$1.25 for a “fancy fedora” is intriguing.

5480a9ce87a7ffd2a22bb1cf0672d712.png

31 Model A

A-List Customer
From the late 1800s Sears Roebuck, and Co.
$1.25 for a “fancy fedora” is intriguing.

5480a9ce87a7ffd2a22bb1cf0672d712.png

I was hoping this thread would last a bit longer to pass time but you have brought it to an end.

For that, dinner is on me at Delmonico's if we ever meet up there. Wear your Fedora so I'll recognize you. I'll be the kid in a Peaky Blinders selling Grit outside. Everyone else I'm sure will be in a ballcap!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Newsboy, Gatsby, Big Apple and the new term on the block is Peaky Blinders. Speaking of Peaky Blinders, anyone know when the next season starts, I'm now watching all the previous episodes for the third time?
Just pokin the bear dude!! Ha
I’m waiting for the new season too.
I wanna see the brown fedora on the Gypsy guy with long hair in the suit. If he’s still alive. Idk His hat is outstanding!
B

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Just pokin the bear dude!! Ha
I’m waiting for the new season too.
I wanna see the brown fedora on the Gypsy guy with long hair in the suit. If he’s still alive. Idk His hat is outstanding!
B
I remember seeing guys like him hanging out on skid row years ago!!! Seems they all had fedoras....or maybe that was the bread line back during the Depression!!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe