Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

undertaker

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

For the gents around here who own a pair of spectator shoes, some nosey questions:

-- What colors are they?
-- How often do you wear them?
-- Where do you wear them?
-- What types of clothing do you wear them with?
-- Do you wear them at night, as well as in the daytime?
-- Do you wear them only on summery/warm days, or also on wintery/cool days?

Thanks!

Black & White, Brown & White
As often as possible
Everywhere but work
Suits, slacks and sport coats, slacks and sport shirts
Night & Day
from early spring to late fall, but never in the rain

Regards,
J.S.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:

For the gents around here who own a pair of spectator shoes, some nosey questions:

-- What colors are they?
-- How often do you wear them?
-- Where do you wear them?
-- What types of clothing do you wear them with?
-- Do you wear them at night, as well as in the daytime?
-- Do you wear them only on summery/warm days, or also on wintery/cool days?

Thanks!

I have the Allen Edmonds in stock Black and White and in custom Chestnut and White.
Once a week or so.
Work, evenings out.
Anything and everything...suits, trousers and dress shirts, linen trousers and linen shirts.
Day or night.
Just got them this spring, but probably summer/warm days only.

This week I'm at a major project review, about a hundred people in attendance. Yesterday I had to present my portion. I wore a dark grey pinstripe suit w/ my black and white spectators. All day long (and all evening) I got compliments..."those are awesome" "my grandfather had a pair just like those" "very stylish" "great shoes!" and some of my favorites: "it takes a very self-confident guy to wear those!", "the most elegantly dressed person on the project", and my favorite "those have a lot of panache!".

The only problem I have is NOT wearing them more so that they keep that kind of "specialness" when I do! :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's a dead style. The wingtip spec is only kept alive because of its associations with golf shoes. The captoe was more associated with "sporty dress," which is pretty much of a dead category these days.

I want a pair. In brown. For under $250. Mostly because I know I'll never find them. I'll wait.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
You Are Right Fletch

Fletch said:
It's a dead style. The wingtip spec is only kept alive because of its associations with golf shoes. The captoe was more associated with "sporty dress," which is pretty much of a dead category these days.

I want a pair. In brown. For under $250. Mostly because I know I'll never find them. I'll wait.

I notice USD300 for a top pair like the ones that sold at Mapvintage - seems the new horizon ( horrorzone?) for top of the line as new specs.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Posted at new purchases, but I might as well throw them in this thread for future reference:

p1010841pm9.jpg

p1010848jz0.jpg

p1010850th7.jpg

p1010856rr9.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Seems like a good place to ask....

I'm still learning when it comes to some of the terminology, but am I correct in my understanding that two-tone wing-tips are known as spectators, while co-respondents are always two-tone Oxfords?

Also, I see a lot of different terms being used too like "New Yorker" - do any of those denote a specific version of the spectator design (there's quite a variation I find in the quantity of the shoe that is white (or whatever the second colour happens to be)?

I have a great pair of black and white spectators I got from Violet Promotions here in the UK (leather soled version) - www.violetpromotions.co.uk. Really nice shoes to wear. The aim eventually is to have a pair each of spectators and Oxfords in brown, black & burgundy with the white... after I rob that bank.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Edward said:
Seems like a good place to ask....

I'm still learning when it comes to some of the terminology, but am I correct in my understanding that two-tone wing-tips are known as spectators, while co-respondents are always two-tone Oxfords?

Edward,

I had always understood that "spectators" and "co-respondents/correspondents" were simply US/UK variant terms. Good luck with the shoe search - I'm still looking for the brown/white or brown/khaki ones!

Anthony.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
dundeedavie said:
i really fancy a pair of shoes made from something endangered ...i have ostrich and kangaroo already

Mate those hopping things are not endangered - we eat their meat over here. For Kangaroo go to the RM Williams website.

Edward

Bartender
Anthony Jordan said:
Edward,

I had always understood that "spectators" and "co-respondents/correspondents" were simply US/UK variant terms. Good luck with the shoe search - I'm still looking for the brown/white or brown/khaki ones!

Anthony.

Ah, gotcha, thanks. I thuoght maybe there was a distinction between the Oxford and brogue styles.... seemed they were the same thing from eBay, but then you can never go by eBay terminology as so many labels are adapted to mean different things (I've noticved this especially with A2s, B3s and Irvins since I got on here and started learning more).

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
I know that it is the end of the spectator season, but I was thinking about next year. Who here has some? Who made them and what do you think of them? I really like the couple that Allen-Edmonds makes, but if the Stacy Adams ones are all leather uppers and hold up well, I wouldn't be adverse to them. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I have a pair of white and black spectators (or co-respondents, as I know them) made by Alfred Sargent here in the UK and am very pleased with them, all things considered. They are all-leather, goodyear welted, etc., and quite nicely proportioned and finished.

You can see them in the top row of this photograph, here:

Picture306.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Flying Scotsman said:
Dunno if we hit this one already...

Brook Brothers has black-and-white captoe spectators in their Clearance section:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=494&pcount=&Product_Id=974848&Parent_Id=305
Look out. Beautiful but cruel.
Reason they're on sale is they're stiff as wood. It will take dozens of painful wearings to break them in. (I'm at about wearing number four, in as many months, and not at all looking forward to number five.)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Flying Scotsman said:
Dunno if we hit this one already...

Brook Brothers has black-and-white captoe spectators in their Clearance section:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=494&pcount=&Product_Id=974848&Parent_Id=305

Just a note to anyone looking for specs: If these Brooks shoes are still on clearance later this week, you should be able to get an additional 25% off during the Friends & Family sale going on Wednesday through Sunday. Enter code friend39 at checkout.

If my calculations are correct, that would make them $160.50 before tax and shipping.

kschurch

Vendor
Spectater Shoes

Hey All,

I have 4 pairs of specs and three of them are Allen Edmonds. I believe them to be of first quality and they are very comfortable. I've even bought a few pairs and had them resoled into golf shoes.

The "Broadstreet" is the wingtip version that comes in black or brown and the "Belmont" is a split-toe model. The "Belmont" is less formal and can be worn with jeans on occasion.

These shoes run new around $300.00, but I dilligently shop ebay and especially the Allen Edmonds ebay store. They list the shoes as "seconds" but I've yet to find any noticeable issues with any of the pairs I've purchased.

I have 11 pairs in all and I've yet to pay more than $170.00 for any of them. Most pairs I've bought for around $100.00. On occasion I've watched an item in their online store go through a couple of times with no bids and then e-mailed them a low offer and they just sent me the shoes.

If one just checks day to day, your pair will come up eventually.

Good Luck!

Church

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe