Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Flying Scotsman said:

The question came up about whether these used polished cobbler (grain corrected) leather. I emailed and asked, and here's their answer:

Our "High Performance" Leathers are soft lightweight leathers that are tanned for strength, breathability and water resistance.

We do not use “grain corrected” (a.k.a. corrected leather). Tanneries make corrected leather from lower grade hides (scratched or scarred with tick bites and the like), in a process that “snuffs” the surface of the leather to hide the blemishes and then embosses the surface and covers it over with a heavy finish. Corrected leather is generally stiffer and less supple than good full grain leather. Because they have “reduced” some of the full grain (the strength of the leather) they need to add body back to the leather ? with fillers and the like in tanning. While corrected leathher generally finished to a high sheen, we don’t especially care for the feel or the look.

I hope I have answered your questions fully. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Ashleigh DeGothseir
Otabo Customer Care Team
www.otabo.com

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Co-respondent shoes

It seems (from observing examples on the 'Bay) that the difference is in the simplicity of the co-respondent with no frills such as wing tip/brogueing detailing....like pinking etc

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently purchased a pair of the Botany 500 Spectators (brown/white) and I must say, out of the box, they're okay. Of course, you get what you pay for and I wouldn't say these are the finest quality leather. They seem a little stiff and they don't shine well after a polish.

They don't seem to be wearing out too fast, but I've only had them a month and I've worn them two or three times.

If you're looking for some kick-arounds, something for a one night ordeal, or perhaps you're like me and you're on a tight budget, these shoes will do you justice.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Spectators: worn how often?

For the gents around here who own a pair of spectator shoes, some nosey questions:

-- What colors are they?
-- How often do you wear them?
-- Where do you wear them?
-- What types of clothing do you wear them with?
-- Do you wear them at night, as well as in the daytime?
-- Do you wear them only on summery/warm days, or also on wintery/cool days?

Thanks!

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
I've only had my specs for a few months, but here it goes.

- Brown & white (but I plan on getting a black & white pair soon).
- I've worn them to church twice, to the Blue Plate Diner and to visit friends.
- I wear them with a suit, jacket and slacks, and with shirt, tie and vest sweater. mainly dress clothes.
- Day and night.
- I've only had mine since Easter, but I think I'll reserve them for spring to early fall. I'm moving to Virginia next month, so that may well be until November.

Hope that helps!

Eric

Duck

Practically Family
Today!

Marc Chevalier said:

For the gents around here who own a pair of spectator shoes, some nosey questions:

-- What colors are they?

Thanks!

Brown & Tan
Not often
To work
Polo shirt & khakis
Daytime only, so far.
Summer shoe

iammatt

Familiar Face
I have two pairs. One is a twill and brown leather wingtip style and the other is a derby style that is white buck and brown leather. The second is new and pictured on AAAC right now.

I wear them with linen pants or sometimes a summer suit to whatever establishment is unlucky enough to have me. I generally wear them in the day, but would not be opposed to doing so at night.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
My Specs

I have a pair of brown and off white Broadstreets yet to be worn and a pair of oxblood and white buck 1940s specs I wore to a wedding at our place to great acclaim. The B'streets will be accompanying my flax coloured Irish linen suit next summer. The others will await a night "on the tiles".

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
My only spectators are brown leather and natural-colored linen, so they're pretty much exclusively warm-weather shoes. I wear them with everything from suits to linen trousers and chinos to, occasionally, jeans. I wear them everywhere--work, church, recreation, walks around the neighborhood, etc.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Brown nubuck with oxblood leather saddles.

Worn fairly frequenly in warm weather and when on holiday.

Worn with "casual" clothes (by my standards, not the rest of the world's;) ). They're also my shoes of choice with shorts.

I'll wear them at night if I'm wearing casual clothes.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
How often I wear my specs...

Marc Chevalier said:

-- What colors are they?

Thanks!

- Off White with Burgundy Leather
- Once a week
- To work and to social occasions
- Why a Single Breasted Suit with Waistcoat and Tie, hat and such of course...
- Yes, both Night and Daytime.
- I will wear them during any weather, provided it goes with my outfit layout for that given day.

FG.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

-- What colors are they?

Thanks!

Black & white
four-six times a year
parties mainly
linen suits
day only
summery/warm

Will

One of the Regulars
Mine are chestnut leather and pearl reversed kid. I wear them on summer weekends in the country with linen trousers, perhaps four times each season. For me they are a polo match, horse race and car show kind of shoe. I wouldn't wear them at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe