Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spear point collar shirts

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
This is the same spearpoint collar I got earlier, but with shorter points:
imag0031or.jpg

Q, Whats the length on these collars? And do you think the gap should be closed a little more?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Qirrel: Well done! You seem to be taking the lead here and ordering shirts that I am sure many among us will want copied.
You are also showing us that Luxire are able to follow instructions and create the shirts we want, at the price we want.

The cooperation between Qirrel and Luxire is a perfect example of how 'The Fedora Lounge' can work for all of us to achieve the look we aspire to.

Edward

Bartender
Qirrel, Two Types, and Mountain Man, have you washed your shirts yet? How was the shrinkage, if any?

Good question - I bought one of those German Signum shirts last year. Lovely shirt, but it did shrink to a much neater fit than I like when I machine washed it (at a very low temperature - handwashing would not have improved it).

Luxire

Vendor
For every shirt we make, we wash the fabric after the shirt length is cut from the roll. The washing is done in a home-style washing machine.

This stabilizes the fabric and the shirt is not expected to shrink after that.

Some fabrics do shrink a bit more even after they are washed. Once that comes to our notice, we change the wash process for those fabrics to 2-4 wash cycles.

So, most shirts will not shrink and even if they do, shrinkage will be minor.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
For every shirt we make, we wash the fabric after the shirt length is cut from the roll. The washing is done in a home-style washing machine.

This stabilizes the fabric and the shirt is not expected to shrink after that.

Some fabrics do shrink a bit more even after they are washed. Once that comes to our notice, we change the wash process for those fabrics to 2-4 wash cycles.

So, most shirts will not shrink and even of they do, shrinkage will be minor.

Good to know! Thanks

dakotanorth

Practically Family
If the shirt length is cut, then washed, does this mean you cut it slightly longer to compensate for possible shrinking? Typically you wash before you cut.
Obviously if the fabric shrinks VERY little, it's not a big deal- some fabrics can shrink anywhere from 3% to 10% which loses a LOT of length.
Just curious.

Luxire

Vendor
If the shirt length is cut, then washed, does this mean you cut it slightly longer to compensate for possible shrinking? Typically you wash before you cut.
Obviously if the fabric shrinks VERY little, it's not a big deal- some fabrics can shrink anywhere from 3% to 10% which loses a LOT of length.
Just curious.

As the fabric rolls are big, the shirt-length needs to be cut prior to washing. Which is usually about 2 yards. We do cut a little extra not only to compensate for the shrinkage, but also to have a ready washed piece in-case there is a minor error.

Luxire

Vendor
what you did on Qirrel's spear points. ;)

...unless you had a different shape in mind with that collar ?

In some images, we get to see spearpoints worn with a collar-pin. The tie spaces appears to be similar to the 3-striped shown above. But, on many others it is like what's on qirrel's shirts.

Folded, the shirt above looks better :)

Feraud

Bartender
Agreed. The area where the tie will sit looks different on folded shirts versus one being worn. I learned this through experience of trying to find OTR point collars that I can wear with a collar bar.
A pic on a model is a better way to determine the space between the collar.

Btw, how do the Luxire spearpoint shirts looks with a collar bar? Has anyone posted a pic? Did I miss it?

Last edited:

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Luxire/Arnaud, may I make a recommendation?

One of the handsomest types of (not truly) 'solid-colored' shirting fabrics is end-on-end cotton broadcloth. Its white-on-color weave gives it more interest than, say, a standard solid broadcloth. If you were to offer end-on-end broadcloth in dark yellow, tan, light moss green, light brick red, light grey, robin's egg blue, and dark grey, I would order custom shirts from you in each of those colors, and probably more. Just a thought.

end-on-endbroadclothswatch_zpsa70a0b9e.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Luxire/Arnaud, may I make a recommendation?

One of the handsomest types of (not truly) 'solid-colored' shirting fabrics is end-on-end cotton broadcloth. Its white-on-color weave gives it more interest than, say, a standard solid broadcloth. If you were to offer end-on-end broadcloth in dark yellow, tan, light moss green, light brick red, light grey, robin's egg blue, and dark grey, I would order custom shirts from you in each of those colors, and probably more. Just a thought.

+++1

Nothing beats end-on-end. White, off-white/cream, the classic blue end-on-end, shades of lighter blue, light grey, and pink for me. :)

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Vintage dress shirts are pretty rare, so when I come across them, I snag 'em. This shirt came from a batch I found at Meow's on Retro Row in Long Beach. They fit perfectly save the sleeves woefully short! Luckily I tend to roll my sleeves up anyway.
487576_4717199974974_300712363_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe