Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
My folks didn't mind my playing with
toy guns or air rifles.
But I stopped when I was ten after
wounding a bird on the wing.
I took care of it and the bird was able
to fly again.
It was not until I was 19 that I picked
up a gun again.
Thanks, Uncle Sam! :D
When I was 11, I snuck my .22 rifle out of the house and killed a squirrel. After a short while when it sunk in that the squirrel wasn't going to get up and would never climb a tree again, I felt bad. Sad lesson learned. Even though my dad was a professional hunting guide and had hunted all over the planet, I don't hunt.
I decided long ago that guns are for dealing with bad people and dangerous animals--but mostly bad people. My Uncle Sam just taught me how to deal with the bad people without getting dealt with myself.

Today, I work in a maximum security prison with a lot of bad people. I've had some inappropriate, threatening things said to me by people who are, uh...doing less than a life sentence. I never hesitate to tell the inmate clearly in plain English, "If you show up at my house, there will be a nasty gunfight and the Army taught me how to gunfight. I'm still here, right? So you're best off forgetting about me."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So trivial, yet... when a pop-up window has an "X" (or something similar) to click on to close it, but you click on it and it sends you to the pop-up page anyway because the area where you have to click is exactly, perfectly over the very small "X -" miss it by a tenth of a millimeter and away you go to the other page. It's just another obnoxious trick to get you to go to the page they want you to visit so that it can count as another click.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
So trivial, yet... when a pop-up window has an "X" (or something similar) to click on to close it, but you click on it and it sends you to the pop-up page anyway because the area where you have to click is exactly, perfectly over the very small "X -" miss it by a tenth of a millimeter and away you go to the other page. It's just another obnoxious trick to get you to go to the page they want you to visit so that it can count as another click.

It's even worse when your eyes are so bad you can barely see the cursor, let alone the X. Come the revolution, the guy that invented pop-ups is the first one going up against the wall.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

"Forgot your Password?

First time I really thought I was going to retrieve my password.

Now I have to write in a note pad the numerous passwords I
ve
accumulated over the years to determine which is the current
password. :(

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Self absorbed people who must be heard while dining at a restaurant even if they are not a member of your party. Inside voices please! No loud talkers needed unless it is to signal for help.
:D

These kind of people are cousins to the ones at work who must be heard by everyone including the boss
when they tell you that as a friend they are trying to help you when you’ve made a mistake in front of
everyone.

A friend is someone who will take you aside,
talk with you one on one and offer their help without passing
judgement. These are the ones that I value.;)

Last edited:
Gripe #1
I listen to most of my favorite music on youTube. That is to say music from the 1920s and '30s. Now some of them have ads which is bad enough. But what I really, really, really hate about them is that these ads invariably have modern music which totally destroys the mood for me! And don't get me going about the hard rock that often forms the ubiquitous soundtrack of many adverts and TV shows.

Gripe #2
People who don't take their laundry out of the washer or dryer when they're done. Sometimes when there's somebody else's laundry in there I have take it out, put mine in there, then put theirs back when I'm done. And between the washer and dryer it's not unusual for me to have to juggle three loads that way including my own!

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Gripe #1
I listen to most of my favorite music on youTube. That is to say music from the 1920s and '30s. Now some of them have ads which is bad enough. But what I really, really, really hate about them is that these ads invariably have modern music which totally destroys the mood for me! And don't get me going about the hard rock that often forms the ubiquitous soundtrack of many adverts and TV shows.

I'm very grateful to Youtubers who take the time & trouble to download videos & if they can earn a few bucks with advertising on their vids,so much the better. I admit though it can be annoying, especially those you can't skip after a few seconds. ;)

Gripe #2
People who don't take their laundry out of the washer or dryer when they're done. Sometimes when there's somebody else's laundry in there I have take it out, put mine in there, then put theirs back when I'm done. And between the washer and dryer it's not unusual for me to have to juggle three loads that way including my own!

Multi tasking staves off dementia. :D

This is so trivial, yet it really ticks me off.

I clicked the record button on the DVR to record a movie.
The
red dot came on indicating the movie was being recorded.
I checked the movie the next day and only 1 minute was recorded.

We had a DVR that did that. Finally had the cable company swap it out and it all but stopped. It only happens now if, obviously, cable service goes down during a recording.

I assume you, like most of us, rent the DVR so the cable company should swap it out for you. Sometimes they balk a bit about coming out to do it ("you can bring it in to one of our inconveniently located and understaffed service centers"), but tell them that, if they won't, you want to cancel the DRV service. That usually changes their tune.

Sadly, I find that you have to play hardball with cable companies - I always try nice first and, even during hardball, I'm alway polite - as that seems to be the way their customer "service" model works.

^^^^^
Too often the relatively young people you at long last get to speak with over the telephone after pressing this number for that option a dozen or so times and then waiting on hold for several minutes minimally speaks to you in a tone that suggests you must be some senile elder who needs help tying his shoes. I swear you can hear the eyes roll. Makes a person wanna bash the snooty little a-holes over the head with his walker.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
We had a DVR that did that. Finally had the cable company swap it out and it all but stopped. It only happens now if, obviously, cable service goes down during a recording.

I assume you, like most of us, rent the DVR so the cable company should swap it out for you. Sometimes they balk a bit about coming out to do it ("you can bring it in to one of our inconveniently located and understaffed service centers"), but tell them that, if they won't, you want to cancel the DRV service. That usually changes their tune.

Sadly, I find that you have to play hardball with cable companies - I always try nice first and, even during hardball, I'm alway polite - as that seems to be the way their customer "service" model works.

I have no problem with exchanging the box.
Except for the wait-time in line, they
don't ask questions.

It's faster than scheduling an appointment for home service.

The only thing is that all my favorite
movies I've recorded on the DVR
cannot be transfered to the new
replacement.

On the plus side, for being a long time
customer, I get all my favorite channels
plus all the premiuns as well for a
low non-increasing price.

But you are 100% right.
Over the years I had to hassle, moan &
groan until I got what I wanted.
Cable customer service is like dealing
with a "used car dealer".

Thing is, most of the movies made
today are excellent as far as
visual technology but plot or story content.....they use straws!

Last edited:
That's why I stick to a VCR. No muss, no fuss.

Few, I image, respect you more than I do and in most cases, as you know, I'll lean to the "old technology that works / has less things that can break" solution, but in this case, the DVR is so superior that it is worth the additional issues that it also brings.

The picture quality is ridiculously better. Recording is (with noted hiccups) easy as is play back and fast forward, etc. and all much easier than with a VHS tape. Also, I can store DVDs in small sleeves vs. clunky VHS tapes or, even better, completely digital.

To be sure, I'm not advocating for digital movie theater technology - I'll fully defer completely to your expertise there. But for amateur home use, years ago, I threw my VCR away, gave the tapes away and have never looked back.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
That's why I stick to a VCR. No muss, no fuss.

I have no doubt that VCR provides no
muss or fuss for you.

I have DVR/Cable because of the variety
of programing/films available to view at a high definition.

On ocassions I still watch films on the VCR but the viewing quality is very inferior and uncomfortable.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I assume you, like most of us, rent the DVR so the cable company should swap it out for you.

Few, I image, respect you more than I do and in most cases, as you know, I'll lean to the "old technology that works / has less things that can break" solution, but in this case, the DVR is so superior that it is worth the additional issues that it also brings.

Ah, yes. SOOOOOOOOOO superior.

You rent it, meaning you do not own it.

It breaks so you can just "swap it out". Meaning anything you have recorded is gone. Like the nearly two hundred hours of programs we lost when our "sooooo superior" PVR as it is called broke down.

I spoke with a guy from England, he moved house, his DVR would not work at the new location owing to some service issue. Lost nearly 400 hours of stuff he had saved.

And its enormous capacity is nevertheless finite. Fill it up, cannot keep what you have recorded, so something must go.

And you cannot transport your programs to the cottage, a friend's place, etc., because it must stay in your little box.

Ah, yes.

So superior.

⇧ I think there are a few things at work here. One, if you buy physical DVDs or movies where they are stored digitally from sites like Amazon then this is not an issue. I have hundreds of DVDs and a few movies from Amazon and they are all independent of the rented DVR.

As to losing the recorded items on the DVR - yup, that is a downside, but those are simply movies or shows I recorded off of TV. To be sure, I didn't like losing them, but I'll take that over all the VHS issues of poor picture quality, fast-foward/rewind slowness and bulky storage.

Also, since most of what we watch on TV I'm not looking to keep, the ease of DVRing it and then deleting it is another plus over VHS recording of TV shows.

So we have two things - a rented DVR (for TV "stuff" to record and "lose" one day) and a DVD player - which are cheap as heck today - for purchased DVDs as steamed movies only require internet access. It's not perfect and I wish I cold buy a DVR with external hard drive storage - that would be the ideal solution, but for now, I prefer the DVR/DVD player to the VHS tapes. But if you find VHS better for you, I respect that - to each his own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe