Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slaving over a hot scanner - fashion images from Esquire, August 1937

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Anthony Jordan said:
I'm guessing that "wino" doesn't have the same connotations in the US as here in the UK? (e.g. alcoholic tramp!)

It does have the same connotations. They're called wino shoes because they (were) inexpensive and sold in every dime store. In other words, disposable and easily replaceable. Even winos could afford them.

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Bayard: French catalugue, cerca late 1930's

I really like the fashion plate from Esquire; these are really nice examples- thanks for sharing them. I find copies of the magazine are quite expensive to buy in England. I thinks these images will fit nicely here; a few plates from a French Bayard catalogue. The artist is Hemjie and I really love his drawing style. this is an unusually printed artifact as the design uses white ink on a cream coloured paper. It makes for a unique aesthetic where the white highlights are not formed by the white of the paper, as is usually the case. No date I'm afraid, although the drape-cut armholes and stramline "Traction Avant" cars in the background suggest mid-late thirties.

bayard_suits.jpg

bayard_coats.jpg

N.B: The hats that Bayard sold in their stores during this period were Mossant: possibly the finest French-made felts hats of the era.

The Elizans

Familiar Face
The Cars!

RE: The cars. My apologies I put Traction Avant in "" quotation marks to indicate this was a flippant comment rather than a citation; I cannot be sure what make/model the cars are- The cars are very stylized but evoke the impression of that style/period of French car- wouldn't you say?. I promise to be more clear in future when I am stating my opinion, not fact. very sorry for any confusion.

Drew B

One of the Regulars
'The Elizans', first may I say welcome to the lounge.
With magazines like that i suspect you will be a most valuable and welcome addition to our niche of nostalgic nutters.

also i was hoping that you would be able to send me some printable size copies of the scanned pages. I would have PM'd you but that isn't enabled yet.

my email is bontoft@tpg.com.au

look forward to seeing you about the lounge.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The Elizans said:
RE: The cars. My apologies I put Traction Avant in "" quotation marks to indicate this was a flippant comment rather than a citation; I cannot be sure what make/model the cars are- The cars are very stylized but evoke the impression of that style/period of French car- wouldn't you say?. I promise to be more clear in future when I am stating my opinion, not fact. very sorry for any confusion.

Sorry to pull you up on that one- just testing if you were a big Citroen fan...

I'm a fan of early Citroens and the term, "Traction Avant" was used to describe the "new" "front-wheel-drive Citroens" of 1934 and beyond.

"Traction Avant" literally meaning FWD, as opposed to RWD, "Propulsion Arrière".

But maybe you know this.

Sorry for my pedantry.

Nice pics.

B
T

Boodles

A-List Customer
Thanks for the work Mr Jordan

I do like that light grey suit although I'd likely pass on the blue winos. In the first image, along with the blue pinstripe we have a brown homburg with a sort of Michael Collins bash? Brown suede shoes? Looks good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld