Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single breasted peak lapel

Wild Root

Gone Home
Big Joe, you know; if I was you and I was going to drop some money on a suit, I would have something made that isn't offered in stores today. So, I'd have them make a nice patch pocket suit with the belted pleated back. That look is classy!

=WR=

hollywooddrapevi2jq.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Lime, your vintage taste is too modern for me.

I have light weight suits that aren't tweed that have patch pockets. I know the proper look if you want to look 30's or 40's. If you want to look modern, listen to Lime.

Double vented coats shout 1970's to me. I know that they had them in the 30's but, you hardly find original examples of them.

Gorge Clooney? Man, when I wear vintage, I want to look like James Stewart, not a contemporary actor in a vintage inspired look.

I give up, I guess an expert?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s advice doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t count.:rolleyes:

=WR=

geo

Hey, hey, now, let's not get carried away now. As everybody knows, I am THE expert around here.[angel]

Harry Lime

Suspended
You are, of course, right.

geo said:
Hey, hey, now, let's not get carried away now. As everybody knows, I am THE expert around here.[angel]

You're right really, there are no experts here. Just a quorum of opinions more than facts. Which is what I sent earlier, which is what I received retribution for, which is why I'm so steamed...

Oh well, like a mighty river rushing by a man in high-water pants ankles, this too shall pass.

Harry Lime

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Harry, you are out of line. You are taking Roots comments way too personal....and your personal put downs of him are disresepectful and are contrary to the way members are to conduct themselves here. Especially since he is the Bartender of the suits forum.

If you want to call Root on the carpet about him calling himself an expert, that is fine as long as it is done respectfully.

Harry Lime

Suspended
I respectfully disagree.

MK said:
Harry, you are out of line. You are taking Roots comments way too personal....and your personal put downs of him are disresepectful and are contrary to the way members are to conduct themselves here. Especially since he is the Bartender of the suits forum.

If you want to call Root on the carpet about him calling himself an expert, that is fine as long as it is done respectfully.

We have handled this issue personally, it's over.

Harry Lime

Wild Root

Gone Home
Wow.

Ok Lime, if that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s the way you want it that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s cool with me.

Let me tell you something friend, obviously, you don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t know me either. I do live in Monrovia, a glorious suburb of LA but, do I ever leave? You bet your sweet dollar I do. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve lived two years in Canada and have been to several states of the US. Just because I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve never been to Europe doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t mean I haven?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t seen good tailoring. I have been collecting real vintage for over 10 years. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m not a casual collector, I have two closets full of this stuff and I wear it all on a daily basis. I have studied catalogs, talked to tailors watched movies, and the like. I even drew out a suit I wanted to have made, took it to a tailor and HE MADE IT SPOT ON!

I post photos of my collection not because I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m full of my self as you may think but, because I want to share true vintage fashion with others here. I am a bartender here, don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t that make me some what of an aficionado of vintage fashion? I should say it does.

I never wanted to pull you out onto the carpet, no, I just was saying that your taste is more modern then vintage. I also want to make very clear that if some one wants to look period, they should wear the typical styles that are connected to the period they try to emulate. Oh, and another thing my dear friend from a crossed the great pond, most of our original American vintage is being shipped to you guys and it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s drying up over here. I have spent many dollars on my collection; I rarely find stuff in thrift shops! I have spent thousands of dollars over the course of 10 years to accumulate what I have.

Cheers,

=WR=

Bourbon-Str8-Up

New in Town
2 button suit

Matt Deckard said:
Gary Cooper 1930
2 button single breasted peak lapel
steichen_gary_cooper_b.jpg

Next time I say I'm getting a suit made, remind me that this is what I want.

Whenever you visit the tailor, be sure to ask that the two buttons are set higher than the modern day suit/sports coat. In the 1930's and 1940's the button positioning differed. A visual is available on the Joseph A. Bank site. Their Joseph A. Bank collection offers the higher set buttons along with side vents instead of center vent.

Harry Lime

Suspended
Let's not do this, Wild Root.

This is going nowhere fast. It's trivial and it's boring to me so I can only guess how it appears to others.

Let's let bygones be bygones. Let's give advice to others as we see fit without questioning the others viewpoint. Let's not make commentary on each other's tastes in the future. We made each other angry now we should bury the hatchet and apologize to each other.

As far as I'm concerned this is over and I'd like to offer a virtual hand shake. We should respect each other more in the future. Agreed?

Harry Lime

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wildroot, Harry Lime, I'm going to send PMs to each of you.

But first, consider the following "golden rule" (which I'm still struggling to follow):

1) Don't make it personal, and

2) Steel yourself not to take it personally.

Here's the thing ... for practically all of our species' existence, we've communicated with each other directly: via voice, eye, hand, and facial contact, all at once. We're "hardwired" for this type of direct communication. Hence the misunderstandings that occur when our communication is limited to words on a computer screen.

Then there's the tricky question of the online "persona." From time to time, the posts of the Lounge persona called "Miss Neecerie" rub me the wrong way (and vice-versa). But I really don't know the person that's behind her persona. In the end, I'm dealing with someone's literary creation ... and she's dealing with mine. Hence, I try not to take her comments personally, and I sincerely hope she's not personally offended by mine. That's why I invited this person (whoever she is) to join us at The Derby nightclub: because no matter how well we try to present ourselves online on the Lounge, we're always a lot cooler in person.

Peace, y'all.

Remember how you write it and how it gets read can be two different things!

WR your post of 11:16 about "taste being too modern" comes off not as much of a freindly opinion but more of an attack, whether you meant it or not.

Harry Lime please take it easy.

The both of you have strong opinions and a right to them, but we need to restrain ourselves from the retaliatory smack down post.

Comments that push someone into a corner will result in responses that will either get hot or be calculated as cold and cutting.

Either way, people that would ordinarily be friends with differences of opinions are seperated by words that can not be taken back.

Instead of saying "your tastes are much to modern" which comes off as a put down, simply say "I prefer the original earlier look and enjoy seeking out the authentic details." A small change in the point but the effect is not a strike against some ones values, but clarifies your point of view and your attention to details as the apply to vintage.

The best thing is as adults, is to shake hands, apologize and then get past it because this is not a COMPETITION, we are not handing out awards or branding people as ogres.

Other than that it was a good post, I love peak lapels.

sincerely and with warmest regards,

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I like single-breasted, peak lapel jackets too. But peak lapels (and or any style of lapels, really) are tricky. If the peak is too high, or too horizontal, or too wide, or too narrow in relation to the rest of the jacket, it can look ludicrous. If balance and harmony are what you're after, then the lapels can't just be peaked -- they have to be peaked "just so." What I particularly like about MK's suit is that the lapels are in harmony with the cut of the jacket. Too bad we all can't see the Lounge's "cyberclothes" in person!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Bourbon-Str8-Up said:
Whenever you visit the tailor, be sure to ask that the two buttons are set higher than the modern day suit/sports coat. In the 1930's and 1940's the button positioning differed. A visual is available on the Joseph A. Bank site. Their Joseph A. Bank collection offers the higher set buttons along with side vents instead of center vent.
If you haven't seen these before, below are some photos of a suit jacket very similar to Gary Cooper's. Feel free to print them out for your tailor to see.

Spoon222.jpg
steichen_gary_cooper_b.jpg
Spoon225.jpg

Ghost, that SBPL was CC41, right? I think i saw it on eBayUK. Certainly appears to be european.

$390 huh? Well at least some 30s/40s things in Britain are still getting bids. Check out .de They have had at least 6 or 7 SBPL in the last month - in large sizes gentlemen - from the 20s/30s era. I haven't seen any go over E100. The problem with .de is paying for the stuff. I've noticed that very few of the sellers take paypal.

bk

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
just two piece. suits me as i'm not really a waistcoat buff.
?Ǭ£225...?Ǭ£5 more than my highest price on a suit ever, and that was one from two or three years ago. can't complain really.

Pow ? prisoner of war ? i must have missed that one ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82