Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single breasted peak lapel

geo

Why doesn't somebody now take the suit, reproduce the exact cut in a variety of sizes and in a 14 oz English wool, and sell in a store? I've been waiting for something like that forever.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Glad I didn't get into the scuffle... we are all here for fun guys.

I love the fact that peaked lapels for single breasted suits are on the return... same goes for fancy back jackets. They may still be unconventional at the moment, though if we keep pushing the envelope with tailors, perhaps style in off the rack suits will catch on again and we wont have to flip through an Esquire magazine showing us the latest hoody blazer combo.

Anyone have the Banana Republic Peaked jacket... and what is your take?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Matt,
Where have you seen the fancy back jackets, I'd like to take a look at them.

(PS "Ruly" was in-policy I was just ribbing.)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Modern fancy backs on the way... some have already been listed though never all in one thread, watch the suit section.

MK... Good lookin'
You will recieve some complmenting vintage ties next time you come to California.
MK said:
Here is the one I jusy got from Marc:

MK_retrosuit.jpg

I couldn't be more happy with it. It is a rare opportunity to find a vintage suit in my size. To find one that just happened to be cut like it was made for AND looks good.....it is like lightning striking.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The tricky thing, as I've mentioned before, is that fancy backs and peak lapels have been popular two previous times: the 1920s-'30s, and the 1970s. I have a feeling that today's designers are inspired by the '70s-era of fancy backs and peak lapels, which itself was a shoddy revival of the original '20s-'30s style. In other words, we are seeing a revival of an earlier revival ... and a bad one at that.

Anyone here old enough to remember fancy belt-back sportcoats and suits made by "Angels Flight"? Circa 1977? Thick polyester in browns, powder blues, tans and navy blues. Some very fancy pleating and darting on the jacket backs, but ... very wide '70s lapels, chunky plastic buttons, and thigh-hugging trousers with a low rise and bell bottoms. In a word: inexecrable.

mens_suit_1.jpg

mens_suit_7.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Ick... please don't post those picks Marc... they wreak havoc on my sense of sartorial classism. I can deal with disco music... though the fashion... it has to be an aquired taste.

I feel the 70's suits are complete affectations when put side by side with the original 20's and 30's fancy backed models.

Marc Chevalier said:
The tricky thing, as I've mentioned before, is that fancy backs and peak lapels have been popular two previous times: the 1920s-'30s, and the 1970s. I have a feeling that today's designers are inspired by the '70s-era of fancy backs and peak lapels, which itself was a shoddy revival of the original '20s-'30s style. In other words, we are seeing a revival of an earlier revival ... and a bad one at that.

Anyone here old enough to remember fancy belt-back sportcoats and suits made by "Angels Flight"? Circa 1977? Thick polyester in browns, powder blues, tans and navy blues. Some very fancy pleating and darting on the jacket backs, but ... very wide '70s lapels, chunky plastic buttons, and thigh-hugging trousers with a low rise and bell bottoms. In a word: inexecrable.

mens_suit_1.jpg

mens_suit_7.jpg

I'm seeing high school chemistry teacher. Put a pair of Jesus sandals in the pic and you're in business ...

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
No kidding. In the later '70s, these "Angels Flight" suits were very popular. Even Levi Strauss competed with them, making knock-off versions.

My concern still stands. Today's fashions are inspired more by "Angels Flight" than by the 1937 Sears catalog. It may well be that the next fancy back, peak lapel suit you see at the mall will look somewhat like the photos above.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
My concern still stands. Today's fashions are inspired more by "Angels Flight" than by the 1937 Sears catalog. It may well be that the next fancy back, peak lapel suit you see at the mall will look somewhat like the photos above.

But, Marc, what can a big boy do but hope for a revival that doesn't murder the source? I don't see much I can wear in vintage, and I can't afford a tailor every time I have a suit or blazer whim.

Anyway, Angels Flight is an evocative name but, yikes, that suit.... I hope it doesn't make me blind. :cool:

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I wouldn't dismiss the idea that there will be a 30s revival of some sort. If you look at the many of the current runway fashions there is a distinct English Edwardian theme. Of course much of what is shown is garbage, but the idea might trickle down into the ready-to-wear market leading to some interesting styled suits and other clothes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe