Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt MacKay

onstar

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have any experience with SB? The MacKay looks very similar to the Maxwell. I wonder if they can customize it with side pockets

TartuWolf

One Too Many
People on TFL have had various experience with SB. Look around for threads related to that.

My experience has been exceptional communication with Deborah and a let down and return in terms of the jacket itself. They messed up the waist and bottom hem measurements very badly.
My jacket up in their outlet: https://simmonsbilt.com/collections/outlet/products/sb1026-pacific-size-36

In terms of looking for a button up half belt - I'd go for their Klondike.
@zebedee has one on order as far as I know.
If you do order something - make full use of their full MTM ( can specify all measurements ) and then demand QC/full measurement photos before they ship out the jacket.

zebedee

One Too Many
I've had a fully custom-made copy of a 1970s car coat that was made of thick seal goatskin - and a tank- from SB. It was 'ard. A buddy liked it so much I gave it to him before I left for SE Asia.

The Klondike will be black, shiny, stiff goat with olive stitching and brown buttons. I'm also interested by their torf and mahogany hides and the prices are in my range, so I might pull the trigger on one of their original patterns in one of those hides.

I have had no problems with construction quality and replies, but it must be remembered that they are a small outfit - Debs manages all communications by herself. I like the Statesman and the SBV2 - but I await the Klondike (as it might be seeing me through a brutal winter a long way away from HK).

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
When I first found this place from Google. I was lurking and was looking at all three brands from Google search, Aero, Simmonsbilt, and the infamous Bill Kelso. I eliminated SB at first because of their old website. Then I elimated Kelso because there weren't that many Kelso jackets posted online. Today I have multiple jackets from all three brands.

If I were to travel back in time and advise myself, I would say to myself, only get SB jackets in the Japanese hides, not the other stuff, Horween, Kokolan...etc. because there are other options from other brands. And look at the outlet jackets.

Also SB patterns tends to be straight down the torso like some Japanese jackets, so going smaller size and tighter at the chest is recommended, to avoid boxing out at the hem. My Kelso archive line jacket is also this cutting. The Japanese call them short and boxy. Aero does tapering better than SB / Kelso for a more athletic look, but sometimes they can get too tapered.

SB sleeves are also very slim, even slimmer than Aero STF sleeves. So gotta keep that in mind.

I only get SB jacket from their outlet page now. I feel the deal is better than going the custom route. Also no wait time.

TartuWolf

One Too Many
@Canuck Panda
I feel like going full custom eliminates the "straight down the torso" problem (if it is a problem for one's body shape) since you can spec waist and bottom hem width. Can also spec sleeve width.
Big custom potential if you manage to get QC pictures before shipping and don't end up like me and Pandemic.

The gap between custom and outlet is not that big either. For example my order was ~650gbp while in the outlet my jacket is now 500gbp. Both options are very good value or price/quality ration, especially after their direct competitors raised their prices recently.
Very low wait time as well, around 2 weeks these days.
Although going with the Japanese hides makes it much more expensive (+200gbp).

Seems like there are no longer any competition in that price range for SB, not as far as I know.
At least if you live in EU. Even more so if you live in UK. A bit different story in US.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My experience has been exceptional communication with Deborah and a let down and return in terms of the jacket itself. They messed up the waist and bottom hem measurements very badly.
My jacket up in their outlet: https://simmonsbilt.com/collections/outlet/products/sb1026-pacific-size-36

They did it again?!?! I would have thought in making your jacket they would at least fix what they screwed up on Pandemic's. Did they at least refund you? They were refusing to refund Pandemic until the embarrassment of the TFL thread got too much, IIRC.

No offence intended to anyone (really) but I don't get anyone can recommend them with such fundamental patterning issues. For a better version of the same thing, someone can pay the same or slightly more for an Aero.

That said at least you and Canuck didn't get screwed by buying SB through their American counterpart, which charges a 100% markup lol.

Alternatively the American brands usually have tons of offerings at a lower price point that are every bit as good (better in some respects), though sometimes it takes a bit of searching to find what you need.

TartuWolf

One Too Many
@Aloysius
They did give me a full refund without any issues, apologized for it.
But I was lucky that I had a UK proxy to measure the jacket for me before forwarding it my way, as SB did not do any QC checks in terms of measurements before shipping out.
That's why I tell everyone to make sure to specifically ask for measurements QC before getting the jacket shipped. That way you can guarantee that you are getting what you paid for within 0.5" tolerance. I know measuring can be different, but still, much better than nothing.

I still recommend SB to people and I still plan to order another jacket from them. Just need to be extra careful with post production QC.

You pay quite a bit more for an Aero if you compare base prices. You lose on the measurement customization and the MTM aspect, but you gain in other areas. Whether it is worth it or not - depends on the individual buyer.

I want to try both Aero and SB. Still don't have either. My Aero should be finished next week. Will most likely order another SB this year. Then I can at least compare them.

And yeah, you're lucky in the US, many more options. Vanson alone is insane value. But in the EU and UK, not sure you can beat SB on a budget if you're playing it smart. Not including 5*, they are an outlier.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Canuck Panda
I feel like going full custom eliminates the "straight down the torso" problem (if it is a problem for one's body shape) since you can spec waist and bottom hem width. Can also spec sleeve width.
Big custom potential if you manage to get QC pictures before shipping and don't end up like me and Pandemic.

The gap between custom and outlet is not that big either. For example my order was ~650gbp while in the outlet my jacket is now 500gbp. Both options are very good value or price/quality ration, especially after their direct competitors raised their prices recently.
Very low wait time as well, around 2 weeks these days.
Although going with the Japanese hides makes it much more expensive (+200gbp).

Seems like there are no longer any competition in that price range for SB, not as far as I know.
At least if you live in EU. Even more so if you live in UK. A bit different story in US.
I don't have an issue with the straight torso actually. Jacket circumference = expanded chest, then it works very well.
About tapering that is a whole different topic which is too long to write in this thread without derailing it.
But basically just go trimmer when you look at SB jackets. That's how the SB jacket works, very similar to the straight skinny Japanese jackets, SB just added length.
I think I got my Japanese horsehide Tailgunner on the outlet for like £550 if I remember correctly. It was a banging deal. But I am not rushing to place custom orders with them because like your said with the Japanese horsehide premium the numbers adds up and other options opens up. Nothing to do with their quality or service, which are great, just my personal shopping habits have changed.
I think SB best patterns are the ones where they do collabs with IH or S&S. More heads better than one.

onstar

One of the Regulars
I've had a fully custom-made copy of a 1970s car coat that was made of thick seal goatskin - and a tank- from SB. It was 'ard. A buddy liked it so much I gave it to him before I left for SE Asia.

The Klondike will be black, shiny, stiff goat with olive stitching and brown buttons. I'm also interested by their torf and mahogany hides and the prices are in my range, so I might pull the trigger on one of their original patterns in one of those hides.

I have had no problems with construction quality and replies, but it must be remembered that they are a small outfit - Debs manages all communications by herself. I like the Statesman and the SBV2 - but I await the Klondike (as it might be seeing me through a brutal winter a long way away from HK).
Did you get your Klondike yet

nattevagten

A-List Customer
Looks like SB prices have gone up a bit recently, with the average price around 700 euros for a jacket now (+ surcharge for the leather + shipping + VAT). It used to be a lot cheaper.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Every UK/EU maker increased their prices this year. Some more than others. I find SB prices are still reasonable compared to others.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I have had two of their jackets. Quality and communication are en par with Aero. Value for money is excellent, and SB have a pretty good selection of hides.

Fit on both jackets was as desired. I know of two examples where TFL members had different experience. I am sure the hit-and-miss ratio of SB in that regard is no better or worse than with other makers, but SB is one of the names that seem to draw instant wrath whenever their name is mentioned.

SB jackets run slightly larger than other makers including Aero. I am sure if you get the basic numbers sorted with them (Shoulders, Chest, Hem), you’ll do well.

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
Did you get your Klondike yet
552621-bc4f896a09b617ca437cf0e0317d7160.jpg 552622-94e13c088e0d7a0119c120a150a8dd7a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld