Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

Thanks for adding this comparison. As Robert points out, the first hat is some kind of mixture, using an xxx'ed out Strat sweatband. Be curious to see the red label behind the sweatband on the last hat, if it exists. The two early 1940's models I posted to this thread earlier are marked 122 block and the mid-1950s Stratoliner is marked 722. I have a Premier Strat similar to yours that was rescued from a costume shop and missing its tag and original ribbon. That one has the nicest quality felt of them all.

Purplesage

One Too Many
So if no pre-40s Strats exist, what would be the age of the Maroon Stetson Premier hat. Alan previously posted some photos of a couple of early 40s Strats and the stamped detail on on the Stetson Premie would indicate it would be older to me but I don't know. There is no airplane on the hat as far as any markings unless an the hat had an airplane pin on it at one time. Also, on the olive Strat would it be safe to say it is from the mid to late 40s. The liner seems to indicate it would be. I have seen Strats from the 50s and they all seem to have a plastic liner protector. I don't think I've seen one with an oilskin liner protector.

J. Hückel´s Söhne (JHS) Zephyr Seal Velour, size 7 3/8 (late 1930s) vs. TONAK Formely Hückel Zephyr Seal Velour, size 7 3/8 (late 1940s early 1950s)

9387053288_a3b1da70f5_b.jpg

9384367051_d0344c9434_b.jpg

9387126786_30ef801d39_b.jpg

9387125560_21d9efa6ae_b.jpg

The older JHS Zephyr Seal Velour (right side) felt color, finish and hand are at a slightly higher level (I think you can see the color and finish differences in the first photo). Same with the sweatband and liner. The TONAK Formely Hückel Zephyr Seal Velour is slightly lighter at 4.16 ounces vs. 4.40 ounces for the JHS Zephyr Seal Velour. Both have the same crown height (~ 6 inches) and brim width (~ 2.5 inches). They both have similar corrugated ventilation systems. The JHS Zephyr Seal Velour ribbon width is ~ 2 inches. The TONAK Formely Hückel Zephyr Seal Velour ribbon width is ~ 1.5 inches. Both hats were made for the American market.

Attachments

• 9387126786_30ef801d39_b.jpg
    9387126786_30ef801d39_b.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 353
  • 9387125560_21d9efa6ae_b.jpg
    9387125560_21d9efa6ae_b.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
So if no pre-40s Strats exist, what would be the age of the Maroon Stetson Premier hat. Alan previously posted some photos of a couple of early 40s Strats and the stamped detail on on the Stetson Premie would indicate it would be older to me but I don't know. There is no airplane on the hat as far as any markings unless an the hat had an airplane pin on it at one time. Also, on the olive Strat would it be safe to say it is from the mid to late 40s. The liner seems to indicate it would be. I have seen Strats from the 50s and they all seem to have a plastic liner protector. I don't think I've seen one with an oilskin liner protector.

The two early unlined lightweight Strats posted previously are from the first year or two of production. The Premier Quality is later, though whether war era or after, I'm not sure. The third hat is late 1940s to early 1950s.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The two early unlined lightweight Strats posted previously are from the first year or two of production. The Premier Quality is later, though whether war era or after, I'm not sure. The third hat is late 1940s to early 1950s.

I haven't seen any evidence to verify this though likely. Premier could be as early or right upon it.

Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 8.29.41 PM.jpg

Vita-Felts in 1943 and Royal/DeLuxe by 1945

Premier and Royal together 1947
Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 8.53.51 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Two Hats And a Trade (part 1)

I decided to compare two hats that were involved in a recent trade. A couple of months ago, I swapped a grey Dobbs FIFTEEN for a medium blue Champ De Luxe with another lounger. He listed his De Luxe on the Classifieds as a trade for something with the same specs, but in grey. Since I had been wanting a blue fedora for quite some time, I jumped at the opportunity and offered up my FIFTEEN.

Both hats share almost identical specs. Size 7 1/4, 5 1/2" open crown height, and 2 1/2" brim. Ribbon width was pretty close: 2" (15) and 1 5/8" (Champ). The colors, of course, were different, and the edge treatments.

Dobbs >>>

21A4ED35.jpg

7DBE1454.jpg

C62BFF4A.jpg

Champ >>>

D88F6938.jpg

E34C4196.jpg

C224B8F0.jpg

Each interior had a unique feature. The Dobbs had a flex-fit comfort sweatband and the Champ had a beautifully stamped company / model crest on the sweatband itself.

08201EA4.jpg

561469EE.jpg

7C4E9CB3.jpg

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Two Hats And a Trade (part 2)

Continuing...

The other unique comparisons between these hats are shown on the brim edges. I really love the Dobbs Guild Edge treatment, similar to a Cavanagh Edge. It gave the hat a very nice finish. On the other hand, the Champ has a very subtle under-welt treatment only 3/16" wide! It was beautifully executed; the stitching is marvelous! As a result, it gives the top edge a little more definition. Nicely done.

70516F3B.jpg

D08319B1.jpg

FD57707C.jpg

By weight, the Dobbs was a tad bit nicer. The felt was more dense, and was only a touch softer. However, the Champ shares a very similar softness in a lighter weight felt. Because of the weight, I think the Champ creases a lot easier than the Dobbs. I had to apply more steam to the Dobbs to get a crease I liked. They are both comfortable to wear, but the Champ is a little more versatile in the warmer months.

Closing, the Dobbs FIFTEEN is a very classic grey fedora. The other lounger can wear it with just about anything, as he wanted to do. I am VERY pleased with the Champ. A blue hat compliments my wardrobe nicely, as I tend to wear a lot of blue (solid and striped) dress shirts and dress pants. Though, I don't like to look too blue (blue pants, blue shirt, blue hat), so I'm careful when I pick this hat.

I am thankful and privileged that we were able to work out such a great trade. :thumb: I couldn't have done it without The Fedora Lounge!! Cheers!!

Last edited:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, guys. :)

I look at pics of the FIFTEEN from time to time and admire the profile, but I don't miss it. The Champ is a super hat, and I'm happy to have it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe