Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Joie congratulations!! I'm happy for you! Cannot wait to see some interior pics. Did you just freshen up with neutral paint, or didja go for some color?!

We're working on our bedroom right now.. still.... All I will tell you is that I DID NOT go with pink walls. Hope you fellas are happy, lol!

As for chandeliers, all of our original ones were taken out as well Bebop. I found some great ones on the bay for around $25, some for free, and some at the flea market for about $20. Just keep your eyes peeled! They're really rather cheap, esp. if you know someone who can rewire them for you.

Nikki

Decodence

A-List Customer
cowboy76 said:
Two little magazine-like books I picked up for her,...Metropolitan Cookbook and Housewife's Yearbook, 1937...
103_1677.jpg
Constipated much? ;)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Thank you OHairas and Goldwyn Girl!

When we bought the house it was beige from baseboards to ceiling (with the exception of the bathroom which I will explain in a minute). For the majority of the house, I brightened it up with a fresh off-white, but the kitchen is mine. I went with Pale Daffodil in there which goes really well with the wood cabinets. I plan to accent it with primaries and black. My Mother-in-law gave me a great 1940s/1950s dishtowel with an aproned lady and daughter in the kitchen. I want to frame it and hang it on the wall. :D I'm also on the look out for a chrome and formica kitchenette set within my price range.

The bathroom is just plain odd. It has the original peach bath, to which at some point was added a tan tile surround and glass showerdoors. The sink was redone fairly recently with medium wood cabinets and accents in silver and white. The floor is a marble patterned linoleum in cream, tan and a dusty rose. Sounds ok so far, right? Well, then the previous owners painted the walls lavender!! :eek: You really have to see it to appreciate it. lol And I suppose it is better than the last color (which you can see around the baseboards) that I would describe as a screaming violet! lol
I haven't done the bathroom yet, as it really isn't any easier to paint a bathroom whether you've moved in or not, but I think when I do, I will go with something in the ivory/almond/latte family to go with everything else they've done in there.
Did I mention that there were no towel bars because someone put a 4'x4' mirror on the wall opposite the toilet? lol :eusa_doh:

I do go on... It's just so new and exciting!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Joie DeVive said:
Thank you OHairas and Goldwyn Girl!
Did I mention that there were no towel bars because someone put a 4'x4' mirror on the wall opposite the toilet? lol :eusa_doh:

I feel your pain, Joie! The previous owners of my house put a mirror to the left and right of our toilet - giving the viewer a full view of themselves and the toilet. If you look in the mirrors just right, you can see yourself into infinity because the mirrors keep reflecting off of each other making an image inside an image inside an image and so on. lol

I wonder what goes through people's minds when they install these things?! I can't wait until we remodel.

Congrats on the house!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The owners of the nice 1937 deco apartment in The Bronx accepted my offer! Yipe! Gulp! I spent about an hour looking at snazzy French and English Art Deco furniture on Ebay. Lovely stuff, insanely expensive. Well, I'll be decorating with VINTAGE Champage tastes and VINTAGE (???) beer budget.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
The owners of the nice 1937 deco apartment in The Bronx accepted my offer! Yipe! Gulp! I spent about an hour looking at snazzy French and English Art Deco furniture on Ebay. Lovely stuff, insanely expensive. Well, I'll be decorating with VINTAGE Champage tastes and VINTAGE (???) beer budget.

Champagne taste and a beer budget is my modus operandi, my good fellow!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:

Wonderful news! :eusa_clap Congratulations. It does my heart good to see such a treasure going to someone who will take good care of it.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
If we can do it, so can you!

dhermann1 said:

We love to see anyone appreciate a vintage Deco dwelling and strive to keep it that way...despite the effort necessary to do so--and the expense!

Go slow and be patient. The good news is Deco can be minimalist and still look terrific. Don't be afraid to use modern reproductions until the budget allows for a "real McCoy". Even the repros, if well-styled, can be turned later at a profit on eBay.

P.S.--The chair that Lulu's sitting in in the avatar picture was purchased off eBay for less than $50.00 and recovered. The cushion was made from vintage Deco-era fabric also purchased on eBay. Now that I think about it, the only expensive thing in the whole picture is................oh, nevermind.:whistling

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Congrats dhermann1! I am newly familiar with the abject terror of home buying. Good luck. Things tend to work out. Just take a step at a time.

BeBopBaby, you gave me a good chuckle. I can just picture your mirrors.lol I'll count my blessings and remember to think twice when making changes to my home. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, everyone. I'm excited, terrified, all the normal stuff. Right now my brain is almost completely focused on my show, The Caine Mutiny Court Martial, which opens Friday. That's me in my Captain's uniform in my avatar. So the reality may not hit for a few days yet. I owned a co-op in the 90's, but the whole experience seems new again.
The apartment is in very good shape, so that part will be easy, but I have to think about paint, and some furniture (tho I have plenty already). I would love to have chair like the one in Lulu's avatar, but with 3 cats, everything HAS to be leather. Not that I hate leather, but a nice soft fabric sofa would be lovely. But fabric sofas turn to shreds in my house.
I'll post pix when there's something worth showing. You're all invited to my housewarming party!

cowboy76

Suspended
MaryDeluxe said:
I'm just showing off my new kitchen hutch!

ctazystyle.jpg

2115385263_c73c118cb6.jpg

2116173920_8997f50e54.jpg

You should all come for a visit sometime!;)

Aw dont tell me you covered up your hardwood kitchen floor with tile did ya?? Good hardwood is hard to come by! Nice kitchen set!,...great sofa and chair! Really nice!

One word of advice, beware of that large cooler on top of the kitchen cabinet, we have to same one and I know those cabinets, it might be a little heavy for it, God forbid anyone bump the cabinet at some point!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe